Wireless Network Issues

RustyPwns!

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
1,097
I've been using comcast for a while now and everything has been fine. My internet is fast and my pings are good but every now and then my internet gets EXTREMELY slow and my ping skyrockets to the 600's. So I went and tried to log in into my router using 192.168.1.1 and found out someone hijacked my router. So I reset it and re configed everything and I put a WPA2 key and everything. So there's no more piggy backing neighbors on my network. But now I have a bigger problem. When my neighbors used to get on my network, they would consume all my bandwidth. Now my dad is doing radio broadcasts to Spain and it consumes like 98% of MY bandwidth. So here's my question. Is there a program I can use to block out any mac addresses I don't want on my network so only my devices can connect to my network and limit the bandwidth other people take from the network?
 
Typically you can block out MAC addresses in a router, but if your wireless router is integrated into your modem (like what companies are doing here in Canada), than it's anyones guess what functionality you have for sure.

If you're using a stand-alone router, or your modem/router has quite a few options, than my recommendation is to A) pull out the booklet, or B) casually look through the options in the router.
In the case of my DLink router, I have an "Access Control" section that allows me to limit access to sites, applications, etc and even set the limits for specific dates/times.
I also have a MAC Address Filter that allows me to block other computers MAC Addresses.

Different manufactures will use different names, but if you can maybe provide some screenshots of sections on your router, that would be a big help as well.

If you have any trouble uploading the screenshots to share them in the forum here, feel free to e-mail them to me at [email protected] and I'll take a look to see what option you need to change.
 
No program that I know of but this might help if you have a router that can do it:

"Start with the network identification (usually SSID). Each device connected to the wireless network needs the ID, but the device should know the ID, rather than have to retrieve it from the wireless router. Change the default name, encrypt it if your router and wireless devices allow, and turn off the feature that broadcasts the ID.

Next, encrypt the traffic that flows between your computer and the wireless router. This prevents someone gaining access to private information such as accounts, passwords, credit card numbers and the like, simply by 'overhearing' your transmission. Choose a complicated, unguessable encryption string.

Finally, take advantage of log in restrictions if your router supports them. Every network device - not just wireless - is identified by a unique number known as the MAC address or physical address, usually 6 pairs of numerals and letters (actually hexadecimal numbers). Some routers can be set to allow connections only from devices whose MAC addresses are stored in their memory."
 
modified linksys router and d-link routers both can block certain or only allow connection with certain mac addresses but i don't believe you can control bandwidth usage per mac address

you could try changing the router QOSs (quality of service) settings if your router has QOS which should allow you to shape the bandwidth a bit depending on what kind of traffic it is.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top