4850 or 5000 series

rhinoseed

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 4, 2008
Messages
673
Hey guys I want your guys best judgement on this. Should I get another 4850 and run 2 4850's crossfire or wait for 5000 series and buy one of those?

Current System
Operating System=XP
CPU=Intel E8400
Motherboard=Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
Video Card=ATI Radeon 4850
Sound Card=Turtle beach Riviera
Ram=Corsair 4 GB
 
wait for the 5870x2 ;) those cards are suppossed to be insaneeee, 40nm process?? the overclockability on those will be insane and the stock clocks are gonna be insane..........just think about more than 1000 core clock the 4890 is achieving on the 55nm process :)

I have a 4850 also and it will hold up until the new cards come out, no reason to dish out money for a card thats going to be discontinued pretty soon for a card that seems to be 100 times better than the already successful 4800 series.

Also try to get the x2 card for the 5 series since they are generally better than crossfiring two cards and allows u to quadfire haha
 
oh yea and the 5 series are going to be cheaper due to the smaller nm manufacturing process so thats another plus :thumbup:
 
oh yea and the 5 series are going to be cheaper due to the smaller nm manufacturing process so thats another plus :thumbup:

In theory it would be cheaper, but do you really think any manufacturer wouldn't take advantage of the "new top of the line card, lets crank up the price" strategy?
 
In theory it would be cheaper, but do you really think any manufacturer wouldn't take advantage of the "new top of the line card, lets crank up the price" strategy?

Yes, but AMD's card have always been GREAT bang for buck so I don't think that is going to change. But with the wafers baked at 40nm they can put more on a wafer -> Reducing production costs -> Cheaper for us.
 
I dunno wut res you run at but your 4850 should be fine for now. I also don't know wut ur budget is or wut the 5000 series cards will be priced like. Wut I do know is that you can get a 4850 for pretty close to $100 on newegg and that 4850's in CF are beasts.
 
newegg sells 4850 at cheapeast i found 70 bucks but that was like a couple months ago.........yes in theory it will be cheaper and of course they usually dont but i feel that with ATI's game plan they will make it cheaper just as they did with the 4850 compared to Nvidia's line up....hopefully they win the 2nd generation GPU fight?
 
newegg sells 4850 at cheapeast i found 70 bucks but that was like a couple months ago.........yes in theory it will be cheaper and of course they usually dont but i feel that with ATI's game plan they will make it cheaper just as they did with the 4850 compared to Nvidia's line up....hopefully they win the 2nd generation GPU fight?

Hopefully the consumer will win the 2nd generation GPU fight ;)

I hope neither company really out paces the other because their competition is what creates great cards that are fairly priced.

More on topic, I would wait for the new technology personally. Your current card will get the job done for now.
 
I would wait.
What would be the big hurry in getting a second one right now?

I've got a 4890 and LOVE EET!
 
wait for the 5870x2 ;) those cards are suppossed to be insaneeee, 40nm process?? the overclockability on those will be insane and the stock clocks are gonna be insane..........just think about more than 1000 core clock the 4890 is achieving on the 55nm process :)

E8400 stock and a 32 bit OS would bottleneck a 4870x2, let alone the power a 5870x2 would have. I recommend buying another 4850, dual-4850's will double your current framerate and do a good job of running all new games, especially after the new Catalyst 9.7 drivers. If you want to go for better graphics than that, I'd recommend a new quad-core processor first, or at the very least a considerable OC of the E8400 and a 64 bit OS.

P.S. Wait for DX11 cards to hit the shelves and buy the 4850, it'll be cheaper. From what I've seen, a dual-4850 setup should outpace any single gpu option below $300.
 
Last edited:
Cf is good when a game is optimized for dual card like cod4 , if you planning play cod6 , am sure they will keep the function and even more (tri sli). I suggest to wait till the game and if there is no new cards , go cf.
 
you could get atlease 4 4850's for the price of 1 5870x2. when those cards come out they will be like hotcakes but cost like 1k cash
 
The 5000 series should be coming out soon after the official release of Windows 7.
 
E8400 stock and a 32 bit OS would bottleneck a 4870x2, let alone the power a 5870x2 would have. I recommend buying another 4850, dual-4850's will double your current framerate and do a good job of running all new games, especially after the new Catalyst 9.7 drivers. If you want to go for better graphics than that, I'd recommend a new quad-core processor first, or at the very least a considerable OC of the E8400 and a 64 bit OS.

P.S. Wait for DX11 cards to hit the shelves and buy the 4850, it'll be cheaper. From what I've seen, a dual-4850 setup should outpace any single gpu option below $300.

zzzzzzzz CF does not exactly double your framerates, and you would also need 2 pci-e 2.0 slots running at x16 for the best performance which is only in x48 mobo's. CF scales well but nothing scales perfectly to double it. CF 4850 gets like 30 FPS more in most games but many games also don't utilize the CF.

The 5 series are gonna be utilizing new technology which from rumors may be something like 40% faster over a 4870x2 or something but i dont know, just rumors. In all i would just wait to get the new 5 series instead of using your money on something thats going to be discontinued soon.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top