Project: Wallet Hole

Mediarocker

Active Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
367
Well I finally got the Financial clearing.

Here's pretty much what I'm gonna build. Special thanks to you guys in Vent who helped me piece this together.

Case:
Coolermaster HAF 932
Price: $149.99

PSU: (Want a PC Power And Cooling)
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
Price: 79.99

MOBO/CPU/RAM/HDD BUNDLE:
Mobo:
Asus M4A78T AM3 790GX
Proc:
AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb Core @ 3.0GHz
RAM:
CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1600 4GB
HDD:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Price: $368.98

GPU:
PNY GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Price: $75.01

CPU Cooler:
ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Price: $79.99

Fan Controller:
Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller
Price: $39.99

CD Drive:
SONY Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B
Price: $18.99

DVD burner:
SAMSUNG 22X DVD?R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A
Price: $23.99

Total with all fiddly bits and Shipping to my door: $1,083.27

I think that's pretty decent.
 
I don't get it. Are you paying a bunch of tax because you're in NJ/TN/CA? Is shipping just that outrageous? Adding up the prices comes to $836.93. I don't feel like deleting the previous sentences but I just know realized that it's 1,083 not 1,883.

Also, the GTX 260 isn't $75. It's $175 ($145 after mail-in rebate). I would think that one of the Radeons in the same price range would be a better deal really.

Looks pretty good though.
 
I don't get it. Are you paying a bunch of tax because you're in NJ/TN/CA? Is shipping just that outrageous? Adding up the prices comes to $836.93. I don't feel like deleting the previous sentences but I just know realized that it's 1,083 not 1,883.

Also, the GTX 260 isn't $75. It's $175 ($145 after mail-in rebate). I would think that one of the Radeons in the same price range would be a better deal really.

Looks pretty good though.

I forgot all the rebates.. and shipping is $15.44

I was wondering what is up as well. I live in Alabama... and i'm wondering how my prices jumped..
 
Looks like sweet setup. I am always cautious about ASUS motherboards though, I've had 3 of them die within three months of initial power on.
 
I would suggest a Radeon too, as I absolutely love my current one!
Mine was $200 (w/out MIR) so it ups your price range a bit...

Looks like a fun build :)
 
Case:
Coolermaster HAF 932
Price: $149.99

Great case, go with it.

PSU: (Want a PC Power And Cooling)
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
Price: 79.99

Decent power supply, great price there. You can get a PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer for $109.99 @ Newegg. Peak wattage at 825W.

MOBO/CPU/RAM/HDD BUNDLE:
Mobo:
Asus M4A78T AM3 790GX
Proc:
AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb Core @ 3.0GHz
RAM:
CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1600 4GB
HDD:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Price: $368.98

Good savings but NO point at all getting that motherboard if your using a Nvidia GPU. You won't be able to SLI on that. It would be better to buy part for part.

GPU:
PNY GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Price: $175.01

Amazing card, I would recommend EVGA or XFX HIGHLY over PNY as they are much better than PNY warranty and support wise. They also support 3rd party coolers and overclocking!

CPU Cooler:
ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Price: $79.99

Overpriced cooler, don't buy it. Look at these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103040
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Much better coolers, reason because the heatpipes directly touch the CPU no plate or anything. I would recommend the Core Contact for bang for buck and Dark Knight if you like looks. Both have basically the same performance.


Fan Controller:
Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller
Price: $39.99

You really don't need one, you can plug all your fans into your motherboard and control them from there. Most good motherboards have 3, 4 or more places to plug in fans.

CD Drive:
SONY Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B
Price: $18.99

(Read below)

DVD burner:
SAMSUNG 22X DVD?R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A
Price: $23.99

(Why two? Just get one SATA DVD burner.)


My overall rating of build: 6.8/10
None for $1000 bucks you could buy yourself a i7 computer, I can help you if you want. PM me if interested.
 
Looks cool, but I'd like to steer you away from ASUS if it's not too late. Admittedly, some ASUS boards are great, but I haven't touched one yet that impressed me. In the motherboard department, Gigabyte is pure performance. It's like comparing a Kia and a Bentley.
 
Looks cool, but I'd like to steer you away from ASUS if it's not too late. Admittedly, some ASUS boards are great, but I haven't touched one yet that impressed me. In the motherboard department, Gigabyte is pure performance. It's like comparing a Kia and a Bentley.
^^^

I just recently got a Gigabyte motherboard like 2 months ago and I am in love with it, if you can change it from a ASUS I would recommend it.
 
Asus is an amazing brand, so is Gigabyte.
Just read reviews on the ones your comparing to know which one to get.
 
Yeah I love gigabyte boards. My first gamer was an Gigabyte 8KNXP:
gigabyte2_board_big.jpg


I would love to go for another board.. but this bundle is whats saving me some cash.. I'll see what I can muster up.

Thanks guys
 

Latest posts

Back
Top