R.I.P. to a dear friend

profilepic11922_1.gif

The IRON Horse​

eGO is known as a community of players. Quite often we have been referred to as a family. It is with a sad heart the we inform you of one of are own who has passed away. The IRON Horse was a regular on our Black Mesa server. He was in fact so well known that whenever someone said to "Stop iron horsing", we all knew that someone was camping with stickies. Below is a message that was posted on our forums the morning alerting us to this sad news. Iron Horse, you will be greatly missed but you will for ever be remembered for the player and friend that you were. Rest in peace our friend.


I regret to inform you that on 7-29-09 at about 6:00am, I lost a very good friend to a brutal disease he has battled for over a year. His name was Brian Howe, a 41 year old Phoenix Police Officer assigned to our Special Assignments Unit, aka SWAT, as a sniper. Brian was a devout Christian, married and a father of two he was a huge baseball fan, very athletic, and he loved to play video games! You will know him as =(eGO)= The IRON Horse.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that attacks motor neurons in the brain (upper motor neurons) and spinal cord (lower motor neurons).

These motor neurons control the movement of voluntary muscles. When the motor neurons can no longer send impulses to the muscles due to ALS, the muscles begin to waste away (atrophy), causing increased muscle weakness. Motor neuron, or nerve cell, death makes it impossible for the brain to control muscles or signal them to move.

The first sign of the disease, in Brians case, was problems with his speech. It was not long before he lost his speech completely and his body began to show signs of the disease. He loved his job and it hurt him when he had to medically retire from the force. He went out of the country for experimental treatment and returned home, but all he could do was wait. The progression was slow and brutal as he lost the function of different parts of his body. His mind was completely healthy and sharp, but before long, the disease imprisoned his mind in a body that would not respond.

I can tell you that it was difficult for Brian to get to his computer because he used a walker and required a machine to help him breath. But, gaming with your clan was one of the very few pleasures he had! As he camped in the vents and sticky bombed you (and me) he had alot of fun! His hands became crippled from the disease as well, so it took alot of extra effort for him to use the mouse and keyboard, but he found a way to kick your butt in the vents!

We all have heard it. "Life is short... tomorrow is not guaranteed!" So live your life to its fullest and don't spend so much time gaming that you miss out on special times with your spouse, kids, or family. I say this to myself as well since I am an avid gamer. But, thanks for giving Brian an outlet during his last days as he gamed with your clan and found fun and friends. I will miss you Brian Howe... Rest In Peace my friend...

Sincerely,
Brian Bennington (aka MOJO|Rage)
 
Last edited:
This is a pm that was sent for us to share with you from MOJO|Rage

Thanks you soo much for the link! Tears rolled down my face as I read all the wonderful replies. I just dont have the words to express myself. I read a few posts where somebody considered dedicating the Black Mesa server to him and somebody else naming his style IRON Horsing... fantastic! Thanks soo much! You have all honored him and me with all of your words. I will be sharing everyones comments with his family to show them how awesome and caring people can be in the gaming community. Please pass on to the others my feelings and words of thanks.

I am also posting a link to a photo of Brian and Me. Somebody asked for a photo of him so this should do. This photo was taken just after Brian had lost his ability to speak. He communicated by writing on his PDA, but it was not easy. Brian is wearing the dark T-shirt and I am wearing the green flight suit. I am also a cop and am lucky enough to be a helicopter pilot for the police department. Again, my navigation of the forums is not good so please help me out by forwarding this picture to those who are interested. Feel free to crop me out and may you keep his image within your clan for all to remember him by. Thanks again!

2950812780103197449S600x600Q85.jpg

Brian Bennington
MOJO|Rage
 
That's a shame. I wasn't too big into TF2 until only recently, but it's still sad to read about.

My best to his friends and family.
 
I move that we Mark the map where he once use to stand with some sort of logo or something in memory of him.
 
Rest in peace =(eGO)=? The IRON Horse. You will be sorely missed. Your family will be in my prayers.
 
i think mediarocker has a nice idea: perhaps we can have a little memorial on mesa, marking one of his favorite camping spots. i realize this isn't necessarily a step we can take every time we lose an eGO member, but seeing as an entire style of blackmesa play is named after him, and is so easily recognizable as "iron horsing," perhaps a permanent spray?
 
I don't know what to say - I am shocked and saddened... I am going to miss him a great deal - I played against and with him many times on BM the last couple months. I remember the evening the term Iron Horsing came about - he had us quite frustrated!

I wish I had made an effort to get to know him on a more personal level. All to late, I understand the signifigance of the moniker and spray...

It is good to know Brian is now in a place where there is no pain and suffering.

My thoughts and prayers are for his family and friends who will miss so very much.


I move that we Mark the map where he once use to stand with some sort of logo or something in memory of him.

I like MediaRocker's idea - maybe we could use Iron Horse's spray over one of his camping spots...
 
I also vote that we dedicate his camping spot with some kind of permanent spray or other dedication.

I was talking to Respawn about him last night, about how we get frustrated when we hit the wrong button. Iron Horse had all he could do, just to be able to control his muscles enough to play. That's an accomplisment on its own, but how he dominated so well makes it amazing.
 
I never got the chance to meet IRON Horse but my thoughts go out to him and his family.

Everyone seems to have known him or know of him so I think a permanent spray would be a great way to remember him, I trust someone has a copy of his spray?
 
Ah I have tears in my eyes reading all of the comments, do you realise how awesome our community is.
I would just like to link people to the original thread so they can see the rest of the comments there, that were made yesterday before this went up on the news, would be nice if somone can merge them :) http://edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93918

Dragonhill is thinking about putting a frozen demoman in the iron horsing position, I think this is a better idea than a spray and a great way to remember our fallen friend.

Gulf I too can remember when the Iron Horsing expression came about, we were all getting so frustrated at being caught out, he was incredibly difficult to dig out of the upper platform and killed us over and over again with his stickies or nades . I often type Warning Warning XXXXXX is Iron Horsing and for me the expression is immortalized forever in the heart of Mesa now with a much more profound meaning.

Iron you will be missed greatly
 

Latest posts

Back
Top