R.I.P. to a dear friend

profilepic11922_1.gif

The IRON Horse​

eGO is known as a community of players. Quite often we have been referred to as a family. It is with a sad heart the we inform you of one of are own who has passed away. The IRON Horse was a regular on our Black Mesa server. He was in fact so well known that whenever someone said to "Stop iron horsing", we all knew that someone was camping with stickies. Below is a message that was posted on our forums the morning alerting us to this sad news. Iron Horse, you will be greatly missed but you will for ever be remembered for the player and friend that you were. Rest in peace our friend.


I regret to inform you that on 7-29-09 at about 6:00am, I lost a very good friend to a brutal disease he has battled for over a year. His name was Brian Howe, a 41 year old Phoenix Police Officer assigned to our Special Assignments Unit, aka SWAT, as a sniper. Brian was a devout Christian, married and a father of two he was a huge baseball fan, very athletic, and he loved to play video games! You will know him as =(eGO)= The IRON Horse.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that attacks motor neurons in the brain (upper motor neurons) and spinal cord (lower motor neurons).

These motor neurons control the movement of voluntary muscles. When the motor neurons can no longer send impulses to the muscles due to ALS, the muscles begin to waste away (atrophy), causing increased muscle weakness. Motor neuron, or nerve cell, death makes it impossible for the brain to control muscles or signal them to move.

The first sign of the disease, in Brians case, was problems with his speech. It was not long before he lost his speech completely and his body began to show signs of the disease. He loved his job and it hurt him when he had to medically retire from the force. He went out of the country for experimental treatment and returned home, but all he could do was wait. The progression was slow and brutal as he lost the function of different parts of his body. His mind was completely healthy and sharp, but before long, the disease imprisoned his mind in a body that would not respond.

I can tell you that it was difficult for Brian to get to his computer because he used a walker and required a machine to help him breath. But, gaming with your clan was one of the very few pleasures he had! As he camped in the vents and sticky bombed you (and me) he had alot of fun! His hands became crippled from the disease as well, so it took alot of extra effort for him to use the mouse and keyboard, but he found a way to kick your butt in the vents!

We all have heard it. "Life is short... tomorrow is not guaranteed!" So live your life to its fullest and don't spend so much time gaming that you miss out on special times with your spouse, kids, or family. I say this to myself as well since I am an avid gamer. But, thanks for giving Brian an outlet during his last days as he gamed with your clan and found fun and friends. I will miss you Brian Howe... Rest In Peace my friend...

Sincerely,
Brian Bennington (aka MOJO|Rage)
 
Last edited:
I never had the privilege of knowing or gaming with IRON horse, My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends! eGO has lost another brother, in these sad times we must remember he is no longer in pain, but he is watching down on us for the rest of days.
RIP IRON horse!
 
Rest In Peace.

My deepest condolences to the family, no doubt he will be missed.
 
He will be deeply missed. I remember all those times of unsuccessfully trying to sneak up behind the man.

My heartfelt condolences.
 
R.i.p

R.I.P Iron Horse....you will be greatly missed throughout the eGO community....you made alot of difference in the gaming community and i thank you... "Gone But Never Forgotten"
 
Wow, I've read the news post and most of the responses, but it still hasn't sunk in. I'm so glad to know that we provided him with a place he could enjoy while his body was making nearly everything else impossible. I can remember the times when I would try and get him out of the vents and all the frustration that would ensue. I'm very glad to hear that he will now be with the Lord, even though it means sorrow for those of us who will miss him.
 
This is sad to hear. I know i have Played on mesa with him. He will be missed.
 
The response to his passing is a testament to the bonds that the gaming community has with fellow gamers.

Let the ignorant masses write us off as "wasting time". The friendships that we form through the act of gaming can go deeper then they ever imagine.

I will be sure to announce this on the radio show this Sunday to pay tribute. It's the least I can do.

R.I.P. Brian Howe, thank you for your service in protecting your community.

Thank you Axtuse, the clan has lost a brother but he will not be forgotten, I would like to thank you in advance for your upcoming remberance of him and I am sure a lot of us will be there to support your tribute and pay our respects.
 
:(

My sympothies go out to his family...I didnt know him persoanlly but he was still family to this clan
 

Latest posts

Back
Top