R.I.P. to a dear friend

profilepic11922_1.gif

The IRON Horse​

eGO is known as a community of players. Quite often we have been referred to as a family. It is with a sad heart the we inform you of one of are own who has passed away. The IRON Horse was a regular on our Black Mesa server. He was in fact so well known that whenever someone said to "Stop iron horsing", we all knew that someone was camping with stickies. Below is a message that was posted on our forums the morning alerting us to this sad news. Iron Horse, you will be greatly missed but you will for ever be remembered for the player and friend that you were. Rest in peace our friend.


I regret to inform you that on 7-29-09 at about 6:00am, I lost a very good friend to a brutal disease he has battled for over a year. His name was Brian Howe, a 41 year old Phoenix Police Officer assigned to our Special Assignments Unit, aka SWAT, as a sniper. Brian was a devout Christian, married and a father of two he was a huge baseball fan, very athletic, and he loved to play video games! You will know him as =(eGO)= The IRON Horse.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that attacks motor neurons in the brain (upper motor neurons) and spinal cord (lower motor neurons).

These motor neurons control the movement of voluntary muscles. When the motor neurons can no longer send impulses to the muscles due to ALS, the muscles begin to waste away (atrophy), causing increased muscle weakness. Motor neuron, or nerve cell, death makes it impossible for the brain to control muscles or signal them to move.

The first sign of the disease, in Brians case, was problems with his speech. It was not long before he lost his speech completely and his body began to show signs of the disease. He loved his job and it hurt him when he had to medically retire from the force. He went out of the country for experimental treatment and returned home, but all he could do was wait. The progression was slow and brutal as he lost the function of different parts of his body. His mind was completely healthy and sharp, but before long, the disease imprisoned his mind in a body that would not respond.

I can tell you that it was difficult for Brian to get to his computer because he used a walker and required a machine to help him breath. But, gaming with your clan was one of the very few pleasures he had! As he camped in the vents and sticky bombed you (and me) he had alot of fun! His hands became crippled from the disease as well, so it took alot of extra effort for him to use the mouse and keyboard, but he found a way to kick your butt in the vents!

We all have heard it. "Life is short... tomorrow is not guaranteed!" So live your life to its fullest and don't spend so much time gaming that you miss out on special times with your spouse, kids, or family. I say this to myself as well since I am an avid gamer. But, thanks for giving Brian an outlet during his last days as he gamed with your clan and found fun and friends. I will miss you Brian Howe... Rest In Peace my friend...

Sincerely,
Brian Bennington (aka MOJO|Rage)
 
Last edited:
Trully sad. I would think it would be awesome to have the words, "RIP Iron Horse" placed in Mesa.
 
R. I. P. My old friend, may you find the freedom in death that your body would not allow your mind in life...You will not be forgotten. There are many among us who could never forget the frustration of the IRON Horse treatment in the vents, and the jubilation of knowing you were on our side...
 
Thank you ALL for your kind words! I could only read so many at once because the tears blurred my vision as my heart ached for his loss and swelled with happiness at the outpouring of friendship even from those who did not even know him. We know how amazing the gaming community can be and your clan is proof of pure class and the highest standard of people.

I forwarded a picture of Brian to djSatanswife for any of you who are interested in seeing him or using his image for any other purpose. I hope that your plans to imortalize his memory in the Black Mesa server happens, because he deserves it and his son is a up and coming gamer too! It would be so awesome to show his son how his dad was being honored in such a way. No matter what, I thank you all and I will see you in the server as well since I enjoy the gaming experiance with eGO on a regular basis.

Brian Bennington
MOJO|Rage
 
Sounds like Brian was a gamer in every sense of the word, who's competitive edge would never let him quit. Having lost my wife of 18 years on Christmas eve 2007 to another terrible disease (Multiple Sclerosis) in a very similar way, i know how painfull it is to watch someone you love suffer for years untill their body can no longer fight it. Brian's family must know that he is finally free, free of the pain and the prison that kept him from doing the things he loved to do.
Rest in Peace Iron Horse, you will be missed by many
 
He will be greatly missed in eGO...BlackMesa will not be the same.
My condolences to Brian's family....
 

Latest posts

Back
Top