R.I.P. to a dear friend

profilepic11922_1.gif

The IRON Horse​

eGO is known as a community of players. Quite often we have been referred to as a family. It is with a sad heart the we inform you of one of are own who has passed away. The IRON Horse was a regular on our Black Mesa server. He was in fact so well known that whenever someone said to "Stop iron horsing", we all knew that someone was camping with stickies. Below is a message that was posted on our forums the morning alerting us to this sad news. Iron Horse, you will be greatly missed but you will for ever be remembered for the player and friend that you were. Rest in peace our friend.


I regret to inform you that on 7-29-09 at about 6:00am, I lost a very good friend to a brutal disease he has battled for over a year. His name was Brian Howe, a 41 year old Phoenix Police Officer assigned to our Special Assignments Unit, aka SWAT, as a sniper. Brian was a devout Christian, married and a father of two he was a huge baseball fan, very athletic, and he loved to play video games! You will know him as =(eGO)= The IRON Horse.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that attacks motor neurons in the brain (upper motor neurons) and spinal cord (lower motor neurons).

These motor neurons control the movement of voluntary muscles. When the motor neurons can no longer send impulses to the muscles due to ALS, the muscles begin to waste away (atrophy), causing increased muscle weakness. Motor neuron, or nerve cell, death makes it impossible for the brain to control muscles or signal them to move.

The first sign of the disease, in Brians case, was problems with his speech. It was not long before he lost his speech completely and his body began to show signs of the disease. He loved his job and it hurt him when he had to medically retire from the force. He went out of the country for experimental treatment and returned home, but all he could do was wait. The progression was slow and brutal as he lost the function of different parts of his body. His mind was completely healthy and sharp, but before long, the disease imprisoned his mind in a body that would not respond.

I can tell you that it was difficult for Brian to get to his computer because he used a walker and required a machine to help him breath. But, gaming with your clan was one of the very few pleasures he had! As he camped in the vents and sticky bombed you (and me) he had alot of fun! His hands became crippled from the disease as well, so it took alot of extra effort for him to use the mouse and keyboard, but he found a way to kick your butt in the vents!

We all have heard it. "Life is short... tomorrow is not guaranteed!" So live your life to its fullest and don't spend so much time gaming that you miss out on special times with your spouse, kids, or family. I say this to myself as well since I am an avid gamer. But, thanks for giving Brian an outlet during his last days as he gamed with your clan and found fun and friends. I will miss you Brian Howe... Rest In Peace my friend...

Sincerely,
Brian Bennington (aka MOJO|Rage)
 
Last edited:
It was great playing with him on BM. Didn't expect this to happen.

RIP, IRON horse. :/
 
I'm Sorry that Iron had to deal with such a terrible disease,I know I never gamed with him but the fact that the ppl of this community/Family are so close knit and respect each other I'm sure Iron Horse was as well the same as everyone else here.It was said that he was a devout Christian and a good father and husband; though he has suffered he on earth he now can run and scream and do just about anything now that he has gone home to be with the Lord,so for that we can be at peace and have joy knowing that he no longer suffers.

Iron Horse you will be missed here,but thankfully you now are free.

all my prayers to Iron's Family

God Bless
Reactor
 
For having a crippling disease, he sure killed the rest of us a lot. I'm glad that eGO could give him some joy in such a miserable part of life.

RIP, wish i could have known you better.
 
RIP Iron Horse, I've actually had great times playing with him in Mesa so it saddens my heart to read this.
 
Ive only seen IRON Horse once in the 24/7 dustbowl server. And it is a bit odd people are dieing left and right... it makes you think a bit.
 
He and his family will be in my prayers. I'm glad eGO was an outlet for fun for him during his fight with the disease.
 
Even though i didnt know him that well, i know that he was a good guy and a very good friend. I wish i knew him. Rest in peace our good friend. You will be missed so dearly.
 
I had the pleasure of see him play and playing with him on Black Mesa, when i fist joined ego clan. God speed another brother in blue lost.
 
My Symphaty

Sorry to hear one of our fellow eGO passed away... He will be miss.... Thanks for the "Post".... I think I played with him once.... I am happy to hear that playing with the clan gave him some joy in his hard ordeal..... My prayers go to him and his family.... Once again thanks for sharing....

Mike AKA "Tourette T.A." :(
 
I hate that nothing I can say can change the loss of a friend. I won't pretend that I knew Iron Horse, but I knew *OF* him in my time in eGO and I'm sad that he had to deal with that horrible disease. I am, however, happy to believe that he is at peace now and out of pain. The fact that he was a loving father and husband only makes me respect him and his memory that much more. My condolences go out to his family. We're all a part of a community, whether it's online or otherwise.

6.
 
Rest in peace, iron horse. I just came out of blackmesa and it keeps reminding me.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top