heatsink vs computer case

mattdabatt

Poster
Joined
Jul 6, 2008
Messages
108
in the long run isnt it better to buy a good heatsink than a computer case with all these fans? i mean i can buy myself a 50 bucks or less computer case and almost same price for a heatsink. and there is always option of opening up the case.
 
Your case should have good air flow regardless of how good your heatsink is. And I don't mean just open up the side panel, you need air MOVING through the case.
 
Your case should have good air flow regardless of how good your heatsink is. And I don't mean just open up the side panel, you need air MOVING through the case.

I removed the side panel from my computer and I have my desk fan blowing air into it. I'm moving A LOT of air :cool:

But yeah, the heat sink alone isn't going to cut it for good cooling, air flow is a big factor in cooling too.
 
I agree with the previous two posters, a new CPU heatsink/fan will only go so far to cool your CPU. Proper cooling requires good airflow throughout your case with intake and outtake fans positioned properly and room for your components to breathe.
 
I plus everyone above me.

In the long run, getting a case with great air flow capabilities like the CM 690 or the NZXT Tempest would be a better choice for dropping temps.
 
In my mind its best to get one good case and use it for as long as you can. For instance, my Cooler Master HAF 932 has crazy airflow and is one of the best on the markets so i doubt i will need to upgrade it any time soon, plus it has more than enough room, its huge. Yes buying a heatsink will improve cooling more than a case but you should probably get both because without cool air going into the case ur essentially cooling your cards and such with hot air. Heatsinks allow you to overclock though lol but i would get both a heatsink and good case, they basically work in harmony :)
 
I agree that good airflow in a case is important, but disagree that you need one of a handful of cases to achieve that. Pretty much any case with a 80-120mm front fan on the bottom, and a 120mm fan on the back will achieve more than enough airflow.

What will really give you better cooling is a good cable management system. With all of the cables hidden, the air is only restricted by the components it is cooling, and is therefore more efficient.

That being said, unless you are overclocking to extremes, you just need airflow and cooling to be good enough to keep your stuff at safe temps while gaming for long periods. Anything more than that is kind of a waste because a super cooled component might last 12 years compared to 8, but you'll end up replacing it in 4 anyway, so who cares?
 
I remember reading somewhere that having an open case is not as efficient to move air compared to a closed case. You're suppose to have the air move in one direction towards the rear. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
 
The goal is to get the air to go from front to back and from bottom to top at the same time. I don't think opening the side would be less efficient, but i suppose it is possible.

I do know that if you open the side and set a box fan at point blank range blowing right on to the rig, it works like a charm! ;)
 
Back
Top