DVI vs VGA

Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
77
My current monitor is a LCD with both a VGA and a DVI port on the back. Im currently using the VGA because I don't have a DVI cable. I was wondering if it makes a difference witch I use? Am I missing out on performance or picture quality?
 
DVI is better quality. It is essentially an HDMI cable that cannot transmit audio.
 
You are missing out on both performance and picture quality. If you use a dvi cable you will get your monitor's true refresh rate, sharper picture, and better colour.
 
DVI is better quality. It is essentially an HDMI cable that cannot transmit audio.

Exactly right. DVI can also support larger resolutions as it transfers a lot more data faster. Grab yourself a DVI cable and plug that sucker in. You'll definitely notice a quality difference.
 
DVI is technically a little better quality.

I was using VGA for a long time on this SyncMaster T220, until I built the new system which only had DVI ports. Went to DVI - and I have noticed a SLIGHT difference, but nothing major.

So, technically, yes, DVI is a little better. But if you've got a good monitor, the difference is pretty small.
 
Also when buying a new DVI cable don't buy any of those fancy gold plated ones, they are just the same only with gold-plating. And since DVI is digital it doesn't matter over a short distance because it's digital either the signal arrives or it doesn't arrive (Remember the 0's and 1's ?) It's only usefull of long distances. With analog cables however that does matter.
 
VGA is analog. DVI is digital. DVI would obviously be better if you're looking for quality. Some of the higher end cards or even mid level cards support audio via HDMI now.
 
DVI is definitely better quality. Mine has both and and there is no comparison.
 
DVI allows for a higher resolution and that pretty much it. Im using DVI and it allows me to get the max on my monitor which is only 1680x1050 which is not that high :( and its a 22 inch. VGA only allows only up to a certain resolution i believe but i could be mistaken.
 
My roommate and I ran his monitor through both VGA and DVI to see if we could tell the difference. After looking very very very closely we came to the conclusion that there was little or no difference.
 
Unless you're noticing a problem with the picture I wouldn't bother.
My last monitor was very blurry with the VGA cable but using a DVI cable instead fixed it. I have dual monitors now, one with DVI and one without, and I don't see any difference between them or notice any difference if I swap the cables between them.
 
You can get a higher refresh rate with DVI, so you can run your monitor at 75Hz which seems to be the native refresh rate of many LCD monitors because your video adapter doesn't need to convert the signal from digital to the VGA output.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top