Folding@eGO team, round 2! (If you don't know what folding is, please read)

It is awesome to see so many helping!! S3rv0 - what's our status? ;)

As of right now we have 46 members and are ranked 3528. What kind of video card(s) are you running anyway? You're putting out some strong numbers.
 
I really want to switch to the SMP for my quad core but I don't want to have to create a password for this comp, is there any way around it?
 
I really want to switch to the SMP for my quad core but I don't want to have to create a password for this comp, is there any way around it?

No. To install the windows SMP Client you need a password.

However, you can use VMWare and the linux client instead, which will give you more PPD than Windows SMP. I can link you to a guide for setting that up if you want.
 
No. To install the windows SMP Client you need a password.

However, you can use VMWare and the linux client instead, which will give you more PPD than Windows SMP. I can link you to a guide for setting that up if you want.

I am totally interested in seeing this link, I've already got a few VMs ready to go.
 
We're now over 50 members and growing, approaching the 3,000 mark for rank. We've also hit 1,000 WU's submitted, and well over half a million points. Woo!
 
As of right now we have 46 members and are ranked 3528. What kind of video card(s) are you running anyway? You're putting out some strong numbers.

Hey BFM, Basically, my main game system has a GTX260, and I use 2 others that have 8800 and a 8600 Nvidia cards, and those others are also running in CPU folding modes as well (plus a dell server and junky little laptop).

The bad news is that I actually have sold the 2 other systems (to friends), so my good numbers are gonna sink real fast. It's all good though - it's been a great run!!

Keep up the great efforts everyone!! :)
 
Hey BFM, Basically, my main game system has a GTX260, and I use 2 others that have 8800 and a 8600 Nvidia cards, and those others are also running in CPU folding modes as well (plus a dell server and junky little laptop).

The bad news is that I actually have sold the 2 other systems (to friends), so my good numbers are gonna sink real fast. It's all good though - it's been a great run!!

Keep up the great efforts everyone!! :)

I just bought a GTX 260 for my work PC and tweaked the fan to run at 100% all the time. I'm going to OC it in a few days after I see what temp it runs at normally. In the meantime, it's putting out some good numbers.

Sucks you sold your systems, if only they made a custom BIOS for certain cards with F@H built in...
 
Yeah - heat is a big issue with my 260 - I have to manually overide the fan speed - as I have posted earlier about this - running this many systems in a small space - it cooks in here...the A/C is 24/7 lately.

Just watch your GPU temps - too expensive to lose a good video card.
 
Just thought i would chime in and say hello Liquidtoenail got me to come in...My specs are 2 GTX 295 Cards number 3 is comming lol and a 975 Extream Cpu . How can i get it to see all 4 cores ? Sorry if its a dumb question im new at this lolo.....Asab........;)
 
Yeah - heat is a big issue with my 260 - I have to manually overide the fan speed - as I have posted earlier about this - running this many systems in a small space - it cooks in here...the A/C is 24/7 lately.

Just watch your GPU temps - too expensive to lose a good video card.

I run it at work and we have dual AC - and they pay the power bill. :D

Right now I'm running the core at 648mhz (up from 576), shaders at 1476mhz (up from 1242 I think) and memory at 2250. It's running around 66-67 celcius which isn't bad considering it was running at ~64 before I changed anything.

The good news is that since the OC - I'm up an additional 1200PPD according to fahmon.
 
Just thought i would chime in and say hello Liquidtoenail got me to come in...My specs are 2 GTX 295 Cards number 3 is comming lol and a 975 Extream Cpu . How can i get it to see all 4 cores ? Sorry if its a dumb question im new at this lolo.....Asab........;)

Yikes! I wish I could justify 3 - $500 and up video cards. Then again I am looking at building a dedicated folding system for $1400 so I guess I can...
 
Just thought i would chime in and say hello Liquidtoenail got me to come in...My specs are 2 GTX 295 Cards number 3 is comming lol and a 975 Extream Cpu . How can i get it to see all 4 cores ? Sorry if its a dumb question im new at this lolo.....Asab........;)

If that 3rd gtx 295 for another system? Because you can't run 3 of them. If you want a 3rd card for physX then it would have to be a gtx 285 or lower card.
 
Just thought i would chime in and say hello Liquidtoenail got me to come in...My specs are 2 GTX 295 Cards number 3 is comming lol and a 975 Extream Cpu . How can i get it to see all 4 cores ? Sorry if its a dumb question im new at this lolo.....Asab........;)


Here is the best way to fold on an i7:

http://forum.xcpus.com/xtreme-folding-home/15619-core-i7-folding-how-increase-your-ppd.html

Anybody with a quad core can also use the above instructions to increase your ppd, however unless its an i7 only run two virtual machines because quad cores lack hyperthreading which is why i7's can run 4 VM's...

Also, is your 975 OC'd at all? You should be able to OC it to around 4-4.2ghz no problem in 10min without barely touching the voltages. It would greatly increase your ppd.
 
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100498063

That is the best guide I have found for setting up VMWare and notfreds.

Although instead of setting the priority and affinity manually through task manager(meaning you'll have to do it every time you start the clients), I manually set it in the folding.vmx file.

For a quad-core cpu, to run two instances of VM, add the following for the first instance:

priority.ungrabbed = "idle"

processor0.use = "TRUE"

processor1.use = "TRUE"

processor2.use = "FALSE"

processor3.use = "FALSE"

And for the second instance:

priority.ungrabbed = "idle"

processor0.use = "FALSE"

processor1.use = "FALSE"

processor2.use = "TRUE"

processor3.use = "TRUE"

I also am running a program called WinAFC to automatically set the GPU cores to high priority, making sure the CPU cycles get done before anything else on the CPU, especially the CPU clients.

Doing these two things(Using VMWares instead of Windows SMP, and using WinAFC to auto set GPU client to high priority and the affinity to use all 4 cores), I have increased my PPD from ~4500 to ~7750+(the + is dependant on how much I use my computer throughout the day. If I don't touch it, I easily hit 8000 PPD). Those numbers are if I fold 24 hours a day. This is rare, because this is also my gaming rig.

I am running a Q6600 and an 8800GT; no overclock on either component.

EDIT: Looking at it now, I'm getting 8000 PPD and I've been using the computer since the most recent work units started. 3500 PPD boost for free, not bad.

EDIT 2: Woah, with a 353 WU on the GPU I get 8870 PPD while using the computer! Schweet!
 
Last edited:
eGO team! In less than a month we have accomplished so much!

53 members already having worked or currently working for our cause.

We are in the top 2% of teams, some of which have been folding for months or years longer than us.

For every person on the team, there is almost 3 computers that they have installed folding on to help out.

Each of those PC's has averaged about 8.76 WU's completed so far.

We just surpassed 3 quarters of a million points. If you go back in this thread, you'll see it was just a short time ago I announced we had 1/3 of a million; the snowball effect is coming into play as we gain mass and power in the folding arena.

Every rank higher we go, we only gain more attention within the nerdy folding community, which in turn represents more attention for the eGO community. Everybody wins!


Very impressive for such a short time.

Thanks to all those contributing, helping others troubleshoot, and helping spread the word. Great things happen when good people find a good cause.
 
Back
Top