Folding@eGO team, round 2! (If you don't know what folding is, please read)

s3rv0

Famous
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
553
Alright guys, I have permission from council to use our name in a folding team. I'm just gonna rewrite this post quick to get it back out there now that we've clarified the permission of name usage.

I'm happy to announce so far a LOT of people have expressed interest in this team, which is awesome.

So, in short, Folding@Home is basically a way for you to use your computer when it is otherwise idle. Folding@Home performs medical research that would normally be impossible due to the incredibly complex simulations needed. Instead, F@H breaks these simulations into very small work units, and distributes them out to literally millions of PC's sitting idle in homes across the world. The PC's crunch some numbers, send back the unit, and maybe benefit humanity in some small way. For more specifics: http://folding.stanford.edu/

The fun part: Folding has teams. For every work unit submitted, the user (who can have any number of computers assigned to him, for those of you with multiple computers around the house) and the team he/she is on receives points.

I figure, since we have so many people in our community, each with at least one computer to use, we could maybe tap into all those idle cycles. I've gone ahead and created a team for us already, so anyone interested in joining it need only use the team number: 169285. If you go to the "stats" page and enter our team number (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=169285) you'll see our team's stat page. Right now, since it was just made, it has only 2 users and few points. Despite our handful of members, they only show up on our team page when they finish a work unit and the stats are updated to reflect it.

There are several versions you can download. An important note: None of these will ever harm your performance of anything. The visual version runs like the command console one but with a graphical thingy you can choose to watch (or let it run in the tray out of the way), but if any other application is using processor cycles, it will not try to take them. It only ever uses what isn't already being used by you or applications left running on your computer. If your core is operating at 60%, it uses the other 40. If non-folding use goes up to 75%, folding goes down to 25, etc. I know a lot of us TF2'ers are leaving Drunkenf00l's idling program up all the time to find items/hats, so just run this baby alongside it.

There are even more advanced versions (which require 5-10 minutes of setup with some slightly more advanced techniques from the user, all described in a setup guide on folding's site) that will utilize dual- and quad-core machines. That's what I'm doing right now. I've got 12ghz here and I'd like to use all of it. Otherwise you can download the screensaver version which uses only one core, regardless of how many you have. It also gives you a cool-looking screensaver if I remember right, which is nicer than just the command line I get to have running to use my quad-core.

So, if you've never heard of folding, give it a look see. You could help cure cancer, Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and other less-than-awesome conditions. All of these are, in some cases at least sometimes or possibly, the result of protein misfolding.

Join the cause, have some fun. See how highly ranked we can get the eGO team, and, compete within the team to be King (or Queen) of eGO Folding!

You don't need a password or anything to join the team, it's public. If you're folding username differs from your eGO one, though, you may want to just tell us who you are. Please use this thread to announce participation, ask questions, etc.

As an added note: We'll need a team logo other than the eGO logo. Any of you graphically-oriented folks feel free to brainstorm and submit ideas! It can be TF2 related, general gaming, or something totally original.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Im, in. As soon as I finish this current build I am working on I will go ahead and sign up..
 
I've been meaning to do this myself, but I never got around to do it. I downloaded it now and have it running. I need to go do stuff anyways so whee. =o
 
This is great, s3rv0. Thanks for taking the initiative on starting something like this up. Just joined.

And Note: Yes, s3rv0 has permission from Council to use the name.
 
Cool idea! Unfortunately my machine doesn't idle often ;P

But i'll still join the team and DL it for when i do idle!
 
I'm going to try and push this initiative at the law firm I work at.

Obviously I won't pull them into the eGO group, but I think it's a fantastic idea.

We leave every PC on at night anyways for updates and the like, so it's a great addition!
 
I need to download it on my main pc. I have it on an older one and joined the team. I will download it again later. And good idea!
 
Zippy - If by "look at files" you mean any kind of spyware or other malware, no, it doesn't. Folding has been around for many years, and they wouldn't be able to do anything if people thought their software was malicious in any way. All this software does is download a work unit, for me about 23mb (I do select to use the largest work units though, on account of having a high-end PC), decompresses it and runs the simulation, then sends the results back. Then you get points, get a new work unit, and the cycle begins again.

Just go to their "Downloads" section to get the software. There are also FAQ's and guides to help you understand the process of folding and help you with installation if necessary.

Also - Anyone with a better team name than "Folding at eGO," please send it my way. Unfortunately the folding stats page doesn't recognize "@" sometimes, so "Folding@eGO" just comes up as "Folding" for the team name. And "Folding at eGO" just looks and feels funny.
 
Oh, and I would like to add two quick things:

1.) Thank you all for participating so far. I'm waiting for all those names to show up on our team list over the next couple of days. We're gonna be kicking butt.
2.) Tell your friends! I'm happy with non-eGO people coming into the team and helping out for a good cause. I only ask that you not go posting recruiting posts on the forums. If you know an individual who may be interested, you can talk to them personally. But, at request of council and myself personally, I'd like to keep the forums free of clutter. Also I wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that this team is some sort of sub-clan within eGO. It's an unrelated side activity, much like what those Ikariam addicts got me into over there for a while. ;)
 
If nothing else, you can just set up a private social group for folders. That is if anyone actually uses those around here. That would work as a forum HQ for us at least temporarily.
 
I really like this idea. I got it set up on my secondary computer and will do some folding on it when I'm not recording music with it. :cool:
 
Question: I have a 2nd PC not doing much, I could download and run the folding program this on that system...what would I name it? LiquidToeNail2?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top