Folding@eGO team, round 2! (If you don't know what folding is, please read)

Wow Fudpex - your team has 403 members - nice! :P
.....eGO team - guess we need to start adding some members ;)
 
if you dont finish a WU and you turn off your pc do you have to start over?


and how do you get your GPU to Fold i want my 4890 to do some work
 
Last edited:
if you dont finish a WU and you turn off your pc do you have to start over?


and how do you get your GPU to Fold i want my 4890 to do some work

Each WU has a deadline. If you don't return the finished WU in time the WU will be set to someone else. If you turn off your PC but don't mess with F@H files then you don't have to start over. It saves at check points. Just complete the WU before the deadline it's all good. However if the deadline expires and the WU has to be resent then you are holding up all the other WUs that depend on your WU being finished. This can cause many, many delays since WUs get more and more complex as time goes on.

As far as getting into GPU folding, read this:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide

Note: I was an early beta tester for F@H GPU folding and it killed a $450 under clocked ATI X1900 video card because it over heated . While I am sure the driver support is MUCH better now I have not touched GPU folding in a few years so I will not be able to answer detailed questions about it.


KP
 
Last edited:
I'm definitely going to do this around the clock, running a brand new computer(3.0 duo core, 9800 1gb nvidia GT card and 650 corsair PSU) I can run just about any game at max graphics with this running in the background.

And plus, I have a couple family members with these diseases, grandpa with Alzheimer, aunt with cancer.. So anything, ANYTHING I can do that even gets a milimeter closer to MAYBE finding a cure, I'm all for. This is truly a noble cause that should be promoted more than people think.
 
Team eGO has a couple more team members since last I checked, and from the sounds of replies to this thread, a couple more on the way when they submit their first WU.

I see a couple people that have submitted 1-2 WU's and then apparently quit. Sadface! Even if you don't think you can get to the top of the team, every last core is necessary to get our team higher in the ranks. Eventually we're going to hit a wall of serious, serious folding teams that will require a lot of willing teammates to conquer.

And in just the short time this team's been around, not even 2 weeks, we're already ranked 11294 of 163259. I want to see us in the top 10,000 within a week from now. It's very possible if people come onboard and really get serious about trying to fold.
 
I just joined up myself. I have been contributing to distributed computing since 2000. Mostly seti@home and other projects supported by BOINC http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ This is my first time using folding@home. :)
 
I have 2 gtx285's pumpin out a WU about every hour. Later tonight Im gonna screw around and try to find out the best way to put my i7 to work. If anyone needs help setting up the GPU fah client for multiple GPU's just pm me and I can help you out...
 
REMEMBER, IF YOUR COMPUTER RESTARTS YOU HAVE TO START UP THE PROGRAM AGAIN.
Auto restart from an update happened and I forgot to turn the program on. Wasted days!
 
REMEMBER, IF YOUR COMPUTER RESTARTS YOU HAVE TO START UP THE PROGRAM AGAIN.
Auto restart from an update happened and I forgot to turn the program on. Wasted days!

I would recommend ditching the systray version and getting your hands on the console version. With the Console version you have the option to run it as a service which will automatically start itself after a restart or any other type of unexpected shutdown...
 
Watersnake - I saw Tom Servo in your signature and I got really really confused. Usually I see that and I immediately think "Oh that's me."

But I digress. I think my goal of 10,000 in a week was too conservative. Stats got updated and we're like 600 ranks away from that already. Maybe we should bump that goal to top 7,500 instead.
 
Did a night and a half and got 500 done, just off and on. Doing all I can to help ;).
 
Did a night and a half and got 500 done, just off and on. Doing all I can to help ;).

Awesome!! Every bit helps out!! :)

Just FYI for those of you who are new to this - as I am - at first, I did not realize that you could do this in GPU mode - a much faster way of getting WU's (work units) done (and satisfying I might add seeing results in a few hours as opposed to days). I thought CPU mode was it....If you want to see some faster work done, try the GPU based (high performance mode) program.

Here's the link: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
Download the platform you use.

You can run both CPU and GPU simultaneously, altough, you probably won't be playing any games while all that is going on. You can always pause your work while getting in a game or 2...;)

Important note:
Running in GPU WILL increase the video cards heat output...I strongly recommend overiding the GPU's cooling fan if possible. I forgot to do that for about 10 minutes once, the temp got to about 82 degrees C. That's a little too much for me (and I don't have a video card tree growing new cards!!:P) - overiding and running the fan at max or near max - it drops it to 56 degrees C or so.

Hope this info helps...
 
ToeNails must be cheating with stats that good. I'm leaving for the weekend but I'm going to leave my computer running just for FOLDING. Is the GPU version as stable as the CPU version?
 
Awesome!! Every bit helps out!! :)

Just FYI for those of you who are new to this - as I am - at first, I did not realize that you could do this in GPU mode - a much faster way of getting WU's (work units) done (and satisfying I might add seeing results in a few hours as opposed to days). I thought CPU mode was it....If you want to see some faster work done, try the GPU based (high performance mode) program.

Here's the link: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
Download the platform you use.

You can run both CPU and GPU simultaneously, altough, you probably won't be playing any games while all that is going on. You can always pause your work while getting in a game or 2...;)

Important note:
Running in GPU WILL increase the video cards heat output...I strongly recommend overiding the GPU's cooling fan if possible. I forgot to do that for about 10 minutes once, the temp got to about 82 degrees C. That's a little too much for me (and I don't have a video card tree growing new cards!!:P) - overiding and running the fan at max or near max - it drops it to 56 degrees C or so.

Hope this info helps...

very weird, my screen starts lagging 10 secs after I fire that prog up. Do you think it's possible my 8600GT can't handle it ? I have a CPU one running but that shouldn't be the problem cause it's running on a core i7 (Yeah I know I need a new GPU.)
 
very weird, my screen starts lagging 10 secs after I fire that prog up. Do you think it's possible my 8600GT can't handle it ? I have a CPU one running but that shouldn't be the problem cause it's running on a core i7 (Yeah I know I need a new GPU.)

The reason your screen is lagging is because the GPU program is not as good at "letting go of cycles" as the cpu client is. What I mean is that when your not on your computer, your gpu is using 100% of the processor, then when you get on it is still using a lot of your gpu. Unlike the cpu version the gpu version is a bit slower on giving up command of the GPU processor.

If this starts to get really annoying then configure the client to only use like ~80% of the processor. This way you will always have some of the processor to yourself ;) Even if you do this, your GPU will still crank out WU's MUCH faster than your CPU ever could.

Another thing to do that may or may not increase your points is to set the -advmethods flag when starting the client. This will give you a better chance of getting the newer beta projects which are worth more points. However, because they are newer, you have to watch them because they MAY be a little buggy still, but that is why they are worth more...

If you have any questions feel free to PM me..
 
ToeNails must be cheating with stats that good. I'm leaving for the weekend but I'm going to leave my computer running just for FOLDING. Is the GPU version as stable as the CPU version?

LOL - no, not cheating....just have lots of systems running. I, personally, have had no issues at all running in GPU mode - just have to watch the heat.

Hardware that I'm using - there's nothing great about the stuff I have...

2 systems are Intel's (E6600/8800GTS and E6300/GT8600) - both are running CPU and GPU mode. No issues at all running these.

My gaming rig is a Q6600/GTX260 - I run this in GPU only, since I seed TF2 servers I decided not to tax this system too much. **Note** I pause the WU when I play.

Dell SC440 server and 2 laptops run CPU mode only - which are soooooo slow - days to run a 500 point calc.
 
The reason your screen is lagging is because the GPU program is not as good at "letting go of cycles" as the cpu client is. What I mean is that when your not on your computer, your gpu is using 100% of the processor, then when you get on it is still using a lot of your gpu. Unlike the cpu version the gpu version is a bit slower on giving up command of the GPU processor.

If this starts to get really annoying then configure the client to only use like ~80% of the processor. This way you will always have some of the processor to yourself ;) Even if you do this, your GPU will still crank out WU's MUCH faster than your CPU ever could.

Another thing to do that may or may not increase your points is to set the -advmethods flag when starting the client. This will give you a better chance of getting the newer beta projects which are worth more points. However, because they are newer, you have to watch them because they MAY be a little buggy still, but that is why they are worth more...

If you have any questions feel free to PM me..


I have no idea but I've set it down to about 10% and it's still laging me as bad as 100%
 
well, my GPU driver fails if i watch it fold :( (it looked cool for the 3 sec i saw it)when it's folding on the GPU.
but the CPU will will happily run at 50% lol
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top