Video card dying?

GBear

EGO Zealot
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
1,839
So sometimes when I game, the entire screen starts to display different colors, mostly green. Everything's jagged and it flashes around. It almost reminds me of a broken LCD screen. Do you think my video card is dying or could it just be dirty? The inside of my computer isn't dusty. I'm just afraid that when I was tucking away my wires in the computer, I might have stressed the GPU a little and broken something.
 
Most likely the result of overheating, otherwise it would be a lack of power. Use GPU-Z to log your gpu temps while you game to determine if overheating is indeed the issue.
 
This is almost definately not the problem, but might be something worth noting.

Also make sure you don't have too many things plugged into one outlet. I once added a simple desk fan to the same outlet as my computer setup, and my screen started to look like it was melting periodically. Distorted waves of color and jagged edges and what not.

All I had to do was unplug said desk fan and plug it into a different oulet. Must've been sucking too much juice out of it, the rest of the components couldn't get what they needed - even though my powersupply was more than adequate.
 
Hm, so just not a bad power bar might be the issue? I'll see. I really don't think it's overheating.
 
If you could list your specs, it would help in determining the cause of your problems.
 
Have you reinstalled your graphics drivers? Corrupted drivers are the cause of many problems, and people will try everything in the world before reinstalling them. It's the easiest fix and solves about half all graphics problems.
 
eVGA 750i FTW
Intel Q6600 @ 3.0GHz (OCZ Vendetta II)
Mushkin 5-5-5-15 1066MHz PC8500 2x1GB
eVGA 8800GT
Corsair 750W
Antec Nine Hundred
 
In that case, power is definitely not the issue. What makes you so sure it's not heat problems? If it isn't heat, the only problem I can think of is graphics drivers.
 
I have/had the same exact problem. I thought I fixed it and my compy was working fine for 1 month then just yesterday in tf2 the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED.

I also find it interesting that we have the EXACT SAME VIDEO CARD. EVGA even...

Try dusting it out, and make sure it's cool. Also check all the connections, and make sure they're in properly.
 
Also, you said you may have stressed it. What in particular happend to worry you. Did you hear a snapping sound or something.
 
I didn't hear anything. I just had to pull a little on the PCIE rail a bit to link it to the GPU.

Edit: I just updated all of my drivers and the screen still turns all jagged occassionally. Actually, it just happened twice. I have to reboot each time because when I try to Alt Tab, the computer freezes.
 
Since the GPU is eVGA, I would recommend you contact their support. They more than likely will replace the card for you if they don't manage to fix the issue.
 
I didn't hear anything. I just had to pull a little on the PCIE rail a bit to link it to the GPU.

Edit: I just updated all of my drivers and the screen still turns all jagged occassionally. Actually, it just happened twice. I have to reboot each time because when I try to Alt Tab, the computer freezes.

Sounds like it's RMA time. Still, you'll have to call support like Genpatton7 said. If you haven't joined the EVGA forums yet, I recommend it. There are a lot of us there who can help with various things. It's also helpful if tech support is being boneheaded, which can sometimes happen :P
 
Since the GPU is eVGA, I would recommend you contact their support. They more than likely will replace the card for you if they don't manage to fix the issue.

Same problem. Contacting tomorrow. I sure hope my warranty is good.
 
something you could try is getting, eVGA precision, this lets you control fan speed, shader clock, memory clock and core clock.
 
Back
Top