CP_Indulge, New Map

vilepickle

Rookie
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
31
[Map Release] cp_indulge FINAL 1.0

Finally final!

Indulge is a completely original, Sawmill-themed 5CP map that is very fun on public servers. It does not stalemate as much as traditional 5CP maps on public servers, and uses height more than most 5CP maps. The map comes off the heels of my other 5CP map that has made it into many leagues. I consider Indulge to be a refinement of my experience on cp_follower, and playtesting has shown the map has a lot of variation and strategies. The development cycle was long, and there was plenty of time for anyone who wished to submit their feedback. I listened to everyone, even if they did present things that weren't implemented.

Download/Screenshots: http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_cp_indulge

FINAL 1.0 CHANGES/FIXES:
-Fixed clipping bug at CP2 at the top of a building
-Various lighting and detail tweaks
-Made lamp outside from CP2 to CP3 solid to stand on
-Made the CP1 route added in RC3 wider near the end
-Made the CP3 - CP4 left side route more visible with arrow
-Made health pack near CP2 more visible with decals
-Made CP2 ramps around the point into steps (still act as ramps, visual change only)
-Reduced saw "spinning" sound (it got a little annoying), the damaging sound is still full volume
 
Last edited:
I've been looking forward to see a Sawmill based 5CP style map! It looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up!
 
I think that the center point should be kept the same as it was in Arena, saw blades and all (there were no screenshots of it). The two points that are just out in the open are logistically very bad. They need some type of cover, otherwise they're just too hard to capture. An open point on a raised platform is literally serving up kills to the defending team. Also, make the sides of those points wood plank like, not stone.
 
i would agree with Artinz on the raised platforms, but, i think that if you raised it maybe a little higher, then it would work better (out of direct fireing range) i know people could hideon the far side from the defending team but then you have teleporters to deal with, plus its not that hard to surround a point. raise it...add some cover...or both, would be nice :D

also the TWO healthpacks on top of the building there, are a bit too much, make it a single healthpack to spice things up a bit, make people battle over it...

as for the rest of the map i'll DL it and tour around it a bit, see the sights, and come back to you with more feedback :) but that point thing Artinz hit right on the money, thats just too easy too defend
 
Looks pretty nice from the screenshots. Nice night themed map, I'll have to try it out! :)
 
It looks very nice, but I agree with Artinz and Doomcat. The outside points need some sort of cover or remodeling.
 
I like it alot but like artinz said u should eith raise the open platforms, add cover or both
 
[Map Update] cp_indulge_b2

Indulge has been updated to beta 2 based on feedback this weekend. Please update your copies of the map!

Download and Screenshots: http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_cp_indulge/

Changelog:
BETA 2 CHANGES/FIXES:
General-
-1st forward spawn makes it more obvious where to go upon exit.
-2nd forward spawn location swapped with opposite team (now on your own site of mid)
-2nd forward spawn respawn time reduced to somewhat accomodate increased distance (equals Badlands)
-Saw volume reduced, damage down to 20 per tick (does not instagib)

CP1-
-Removed lower entrance to stop excessive back capping
-Two resupply cabinets are now in spawn
-CP area now more open and cover given to defense to compensate, point is visible from spawn now to prevent ninja caps
-Cap time increased 1 second
-Added a new ramp up to the bridge for ease of exit and another path out of lower area
-Medium ammo added to a risky area down below

CP2-
-Cover added to Cp2
-Rearranged some health packs

CP3-
-Medium HP moved closer to the side building
-Moved the concrete blocks near mid some to prevent the over excessive flanking (flanking is still pretty major though)
-Reduced mid cap time 1 second since the CP is quite vulnerable
 
The two points look great now, but I still would have liked the center point to have been the same as the original, but oh well.
 
The CP3 changes are pretty minor really. I'd call those small tweaks more than anything since I'm mostly happy with it for now.

Compared to CP1 changes, it's really really small :)
 
I just made a server to run through the map, and I have some comments to give. Overall, I was dissapointed, considering that I had high hopes for the map. The theme of Sawmill was to have the sawblades be a main part of it, like around at least 3 of the 5 points. The way you have just 1 on each side really dissapointed me, especially since they were in such tucked away rooms. The entire map seemed overly complex to me, and I found myself getting lost (after about 15 mins I started to get to know it better).

So...

Pros:
Good theme, nice visuals.
Control Points capture times seem to be about what they should be.
Cons:
Complex, might detract from the actual ability to capture points.
Theme is not completely executed.
Improvements:
Add more saw blades, especially around the points. The arrows confused the hell out of me, do what Dragonhill did in Blackmesa and name the points (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and make specific arrows for each.
 
Alright, so I ran around a little in the map and I've noticed a few things.

First, the amount of health near mid may be too much. Those 2 medium health packs are not too far from each other and they aren't that hard to get too. Also regarding mid, maybe making the roof to it a bit higher and with a few holes in it, kinda like fastlane, would help. It seems to low to me, the hp up there is pretty easy to get to. Making all the health packs at mid smaller would make the mid fight more intense. Maybe even making the cap faster would be a good idea.

Second, maybe I just like heights, but raising 2nd and 4th and making the cap longer would balance it nicely I think. It's pretty easy for the defending team to shell down on the cappers atm. Height advantage goes to them, adding extra cover could help.

Third, adding a door to the bottom area of the cap will give a viable escape route for the attackers if they've failed an attack. Otherwise it's just a pit of death for them, a place for them to fall into and struggle to escape from.
I think adding the door in this area would be ok. It would also give a nice alternate route for spies and scouts, though it may give them a very easy route to the spawn. To solve this you may need to get rid of that ramp all together.
v81xrb.jpg


All in all, I think the map has potential. Re-thinking some of the seemingly superflous alternate routes may be wise as well. Heavies may have a difficult time excelling on this map. Of course, this is all before any sort of playtesting has been done, so I may be way off with my suggestions. ;)

EDIT: Now that I look at the changes you made I feel kinda silly suggesting things you've already done away with. Oh well, maybe there is something decent in all that stuff I posted.
 
Last edited:
[Map Update] cp_indulge_b3

Indulge has been updated to beta 3 because of the good amount of solid testing I've been getting. Please update your copies of the map!

Download and Screenshots: http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_cp_indulge/

BETA 3 CHANGES/FIXES:
-CP3 Capture area increased to all of the center house floor
-CP3 capture area now has a skylight to view attackers from above slightly better
-CP2 to CP1 connector simplified
-New ramp added to CP2 up to the ledge into CP1
-CP2 ledge to CP1 now has a small lip for players to stand on
-HP around CP2 moved near the CP to help attackers hold slightly better
 
[Map Update] cp_indulge_b4

Indulge has been updated to beta 4. Please update your copies of the map!

Download and Screenshots: http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_cp_indulge/

BETA 4 CHANGES/FIXES:
-More detail added throughout
-CP3 glass above is more developed
-Cover added to CP1 main doorway to give a better choice for CP1 attackers on what way they want to approach without being picked off (sort of serves as 2.5 entrances but not quite)
-Archway on 2-3 connector developed and is now more realistic
-Cp1 cap time back down to default 2 seconds (from 3)
-CP1 has an additional exit stairwell from the lower level, mostly for those who get lost coming out of the spawn
-Directional signs worked on
-Removed the close resupply cabinet in Cp1 spawn to prevent easy point spam
 
[Map Update] cp_indulge_b5

Indulge has been updated to beta 5 changing some small but important gameplay elements. Please update your copies of the map!

Download and Screenshots: http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_cp_indulge/

BETA 5 CHANGES/FIXES:
-Moved the medium hp at mid slightly closer to the middle
-Middle building has windows on the sides now so excessive flanking options aren't as widespread, players can see when someone is coming better
-Middle side buildings have gained some transparent windows as well
-CP2-3 connector building has a narrower path and a key arrow sign was added to help directions, this helps FPS and defines the area better
-Fixed up some clipping
-Optimized CP3 some more
 
Thanks for the updates ~ havn't had a chance to play Indulge yet (haven't seen it on the servers yet :()

Chaos is still my favorite VP map -
 

Latest posts

Back
Top