TF2 Resolution Problem

Ryken

Famous
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
496
Hey all, having a problem with TF2.

Whenever I open it, it always opens in full screen mode, with a resolution of 1024x768. I have a 28" monitor and need it to open in windowed mode with a 1920x1080 resolution. Is there an easy way to do this?

thanks for the help in advance!
 
I think 1280x1024(LCD) is the max resolution for TF2 but please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I believe if you click "Options" & then the "Video" tab, there's an option for full screen or windowed mode.
 
To make both those changes you need to go into the options menu. Under the video properties you can change the resolution to 1920x1080. First select the 16:9 aspect ratio and the resolution is then available. For running it in a window, choose the "run in a window" option from the display mode option box.

Happy hunting.
 
To wrap up the two above posts & make it easier to understand together:

1) Click on "Options", then go to the "Video" tab.
2) Select the "16:9 Aspect Ratio"
3) Bigger resolutions will become available after selecting the "16.9 Aspect Ratio" so go ahead & choose your choice of a resolution, in this case, 1920x1080.

For windowed mode:
1) Click on "Options", then go to the "Video" tab.
2) There should be an option for either Full Screen or Windowed Mode. Go ahead & choose Windowed.
 
or, you could right click the icon in the games window, hit properties, click launch options & then put in: -w 1920 -h 1080 -sw -noborder (sw = window mode & no border removes the title bar & X on the top, makes it look full screen, but is windowed so you can tab/hit windows key without the game exploding)
 
Stinky's idea is the best because it guarantees that it will stay like that everytime you open the game, there is another way but if you have never gone into your TF folder then it may be a little harder.
 
stinky, you are the man!

I was able to change them manually from the options tab, but was sick of doing it every time I started the game. Needed to set it to default as laid out in stinky's directions. Thanks a lot man, this really helps. The noborder will be especially nice as I don't like looking at the border, but want the quick tab out due to the running of dual screens.
 
update:

Just did it and OMG, it looks so nice in the noborder mode. I can get to my dock below the game, and it makes the game look like a nice crisp movie is playing. Second monitor has chat windows and everything else right where I can see it. Now I just need another 19" for the right side of the setup :)

+1 for Stinky
 

Latest posts

Back
Top