Announcing! koth_hydro_bowl

dormedas

Poster
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
192
Hey everyone! I'm here to announce my new project, koth_hydro_bowl.

I will be remaking the BLU base's point, the "bowl" to be a king of the hill map.

As of now, it has 4 exits at the bottom of the bowl, and will have a round hallway that goes around the bowl touching all 4 exits.

Perhaps there will be an "observation room" below the hallway ring that has 2 entrances (filled with health/ammo kits)

The caves of the assaulting team have been converted to spawn rooms for the RED team. (BLU has three top-side exits and two bowl exits, as does RED)

Here's a couple shots as it stands now. This map is in the very early stages of development.

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0000.png/
http://img136.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0001.png/
http://img134.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0002.png/
 
The lighting is currently darker, yes. I am gonna change it to be brighter, don't worry.
 
I personally think the middle point needs to be more open. I can see this map being easily stalemated. It would be hard to capture it when all you need is one demoman to put a couple stickies to defend. Also, sentry guns to help protect the point would kind of be useless
 
I personally think the middle point needs to be more open. I can see this map being easily stalemated. It would be hard to capture it when all you need is one demoman to put a couple stickies to defend. Also, sentry guns to help protect the point would kind of be useless

The next thing I'm gonna do is widen the point, possibly even removing the roof. Any ideas as to how I should have the point set up? If there should be more cover than openness?
 
you rebuild those pieces by hand? if so very good job.
and yeah its a bit dark at the moment..
but i got my eyes flashed, so i'm good
 
you rebuild those pieces by hand? if so very good job.
and yeah its a bit dark at the moment..
but i got my eyes flashed, so i'm good


Valve released the source to some of their maps, and I was lucky tc_hydro was one of them. I had to pick out this part of the map, though, and that was a pain in the butt anyways.

I have opened the cap point up, so here are some screenshots of the revised cap point. Tell me if this is too open or too closed.

http://img411.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0005.png/
http://img38.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0003.png/
http://img248.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0004.png/
 
I like the dark a lot better, to be honest. I wouldn't mind to see more maps with a little less sun.
 
An interesting Idea I thought of: Have it be a two phase capture. You have to have your team stand near the bridge to the point to slowly move the bridge to the point to even capture it.

The team that has the highest % of the bridge moved gets a slight headstart(10% being 5 seconds, 20% 10 etc.) Just an idea to make it more fun. Possibly have it go for 5 minutes as well.
 
Valve released the source to some of their maps, and I was lucky tc_hydro was one of them. I had to pick out this part of the map, though, and that was a pain in the butt anyways.

I have opened the cap point up, so here are some screenshots of the revised cap point. Tell me if this is too open or too closed.

http://img411.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0005.png/
http://img38.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0003.png/
http://img248.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0004.png/

oh ok. didn't realize they did that. cool
 
That sounds like a great map i look forward to playing it.

I think it would be cool thought if you could add in weather effects like in Viaduct or Sawmill. I think that map would be enhanced a lot if you included the rain effect.

I would not remove the roof from the point, but i do agree it is too concealed. I think the best thing too do would be to enlarge the windows around it so that they take up at least ~70% of the wall, that leaves enough room for a skilled sniper to take out the captors, but at the same time gives them enough room to crouch and take cover from an angry heavy spraying bullets at them.

JiveMoose's idea is good also, but im not sure if its even possible to make though.
 
That sounds like a great map i look forward to playing it.

I think it would be cool thought if you could add in weather effects like in Viaduct or Sawmill. I think that map would be enhanced a lot if you included the rain effect.

I would not remove the roof from the point, but i do agree it is too concealed. I think the best thing too do would be to enlarge the windows around it so that they take up at least ~70% of the wall, that leaves enough room for a skilled sniper to take out the captors, but at the same time gives them enough room to crouch and take cover from an angry heavy spraying bullets at them.

JiveMoose's idea is good also, but im not sure if its even possible to make though.
This is what it has been revised to: (for now)
http://img411.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0005.png/
http://img38.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0003.png/
http://img248.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0004.png/

Valve was nice when they handed this to the community, by making that middle point's walls permanently grouped.

EDIT: And can an admin please move this to the Mappers Only area?
 
Very nice. I still think 2 of the sides need a low wall thats just high enough to conceal a crouching player. Too much openness makes it too easy for a single Flare Gun wielding pyro to clear everyone off the point.
 
So, the first alpha for koth_hydro_bowl has been completed. (Still laden with tons of bugs) However, I did not give you some updated screenshots of yesterday's work.

Here's how much was done:
  • Completed underground ring
  • Created RED's spawn
  • Created a further BLU spawn (keeping the resupply rooms)
  • Changed the skybox to goldrush's
  • Got all spawn doors fully functional
  • Fixed all leaks
Doesn't seem like much, but I've been interrupted all day long, and the hour and a half compile times when there aren't any leaks slowed the last 3 hours of development.

Now to the screenshots:
http://img198.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0022.png/
http://img18.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0015.png/
http://img196.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0016.png/
http://img193.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0017.png/
http://img198.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0019.png/
http://img193.imageshack.us/i/kothhydrobowl0021.png/
 
I really like that skybox, it looks less depressing. This is definately turning out to be something that needs to get recognized.
 
Looks good :D, Hopefully the demoman spam won't be bad :P

I liked it dark ): personal opinion though, seemed more hectic and important to gain that point...at night XD.
 
Back
Top