AM2 CPU help

Sykes

Poster
Joined
Nov 21, 2008
Messages
246
So guys, I'm planning on buying a new processor. But before you guys give your opinions, please understand this. There is absolutely no way I can get anything more expensive than what I mention. My motherboard supports AM2, and it's highly unlikely I can upgrade my mobo just for a new processor. And please, just telling me to "Save up" or "buy a new computer" isn't what I'm looking for, despite them being good ideas. I don't want a better computer to run newer games. I just want to play TF2 with 50+ FPS and I want to use the Falcon, preferably at the same time. For this, I need a new CPU, and just a CPU.

So! Basically, I have an AM2 socket mobo currently with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz. That's a dual core 2 GHz processor, for those who don't know models. I was planning on upgrading to this, which is the fastest AM2 processor you can get. So I went to Newegg.com just now and realized that AM2 is severely outdated. AM3 seems to be much faster and more popular (there are only 3 AM2 processors to choose from now). It was mentioned to me that AM2+ is backwards compatible with AM2, but I wanted to confirm this with you guys. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, so $80 to $100 would be my absolute maximum, depending on how much I'm going to get paid for some computer work I'm doing at the moment.

What do you guys think I should work toward getting?
 
AFAIK, the AM2+ cpu will fit & work in an AM2 mobo, however the processor will be limited to the specs of AM2 when it comes to Hypertransport (1g instead of 2.6g)
 
i would go ahead and get this cpu instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103678

here is a wiki on am2+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2+

AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work on AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards. However, the operation of AM2+ processors on AM2 motherboards will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (1 GHz HyperTransport 2.0, and one power plane for both cores and the IMC). AM2 processors do not benefit from the faster HyperTransport 3.0 and separate power planes on AM2+ motherboards.
 
well i noticed that the processor you linked is 125W. i highly suggest you find out what type of motherboard you have because i'd have to say most likely it won't run 125W but probably a max of 95W which is what processor #2 is. once you get your motherboard model you can see what its limits are.
also as stated processor #2 is am2+ but will fit your am2 motherboard, it will just be limited to your am2 motherboard specs compared to am2+. same thing if you happened to get an am3 processor.
#2 also has a lower voltage meaning it will most likely run cooler, and would be way more capable of overclocking if you wanted to. Could probably easily get it up to the 3 ghz of processor #1 and has more cache which is a huge benefit and in general will be much faster than processor #1 and is 1 dollar less.

in short the 7850 will be much faster and better than the 6000
 
well i noticed that the processor you linked is 125W. i highly suggest you find out what type of motherboard you have because i'd have to say most likely it won't run 125W but probably a max of 95W which is what processor #2 is. once you get your motherboard model you can see what its limits are.
also as stated processor #2 is am2+ but will fit your am2 motherboard, it will just be limited to your am2 motherboard specs compared to am2+. same thing if you happened to get an am3 processor.
#2 also has a lower voltage meaning it will most likely run cooler, and would be way more capable of overclocking if you wanted to. Could probably easily get it up to the 3 ghz of processor #1 and has more cache which is a huge benefit and in general will be much faster than processor #1 and is 1 dollar less.

in short the 7850 will be much faster and better than the 6000

^what he said. i run the 6000+ and it is very good but i would go with the 7850
 
sorry i never explained why the cpu i listed was better, but it looked like everyone took care of it!

as for the am3 in a am2 mobo, a quick search of google says it wont work unless the board has an updated bios and is am2+
 
Sounds like I should update my BIOS before changing processors then, just in case.
 
I run the CPU you first linked to, the Windsor 3.0, and I can assure you it runs HOT. If all you are looking to do it upgrade the CPU, I would take the advice of Junk and Emish. Run that Kuma 2.8 and overclock it.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but if all you want is better FPS that's mostly gfx card. I don't know what you currently have but, since you seem to be on a budget, check around for the off-brand stuff. I've seen some GeForce 9000 series for less than that CPU you're looking at buying.
 
I run the CPU you first linked to, the Windsor 3.0, and I can assure you it runs HOT. If all you are looking to do it upgrade the CPU, I would take the advice of Junk and Emish. Run that Kuma 2.8 and overclock it.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but if all you want is better FPS that's mostly gfx card. I don't know what you currently have but, since you seem to be on a budget, check around for the off-brand stuff. I've seen some GeForce 9000 series for less than that CPU you're looking at buying.

I know a better GFX card will definitely increase FPS, but my GFX card can pump 40 to 80 FPS depending on the situation, and that's good enough for me. My CPU gets floored during gaming, and that bumps my FPS down by 25. I also need to upgrade because I'm receiving a Novint Falcon, which eats up your CPU, so I need to be prepared.

Yes, I do need a new GFX card, but I also need a new CPU, and a CPU is more important.
 
Yes, I do need a new GFX card, but I also need a new CPU, and a CPU is more important.

Understood. No offense mate, I wasn't sure if you knew enough to know what you needed or if you were one of those types running an AM3 Phenom 3.4 quad-core but stuck with 512mb RAM and a pair of VooDoo II's in SLI :( Since you're obviously not THAT GUY I agree, the CPU will get you better results. On another note, I wasn't aware the Falcon was such a processor hog. That's rather curious. I had taken it for a l33t mouse but still a mouse. I take it I am mistaken.
 
Understood. No offense mate, I wasn't sure if you knew enough to know what you needed or if you were one of those types running an AM3 Phenom 3.4 quad-core but stuck with 512mb RAM and a pair of VooDoo II's in SLI :( Since you're obviously not THAT GUY I agree, the CPU will get you better results. On another note, I wasn't aware the Falcon was such a processor hog. That's rather curious. I had taken it for a l33t mouse but still a mouse. I take it I am mistaken.

Haha, it's all good mate. I know first hand that many people try to talk about this stuff thinking they know all about it, when in fact, they don't. I know a good amount about the software parts (like which parts do what, and what I need to upgrade) but not the hardware stuff (specifically CPU specs).

And yeah, it was curious. I was talking to djstatanswife about her Falcon, and she said she was unable to play TF2 with it because it bogs down her processor to the point of unplayable FPS, and just imagine how hard it would be to use the Falcon with 30 or lower FPS. I already get 18-20 on the 2fort bridge in a full game. After troubleshooting FudpeX's computer (XP didn't use the second core of his CPU), I realized how much of a difference a faster CPU really can make, which convinced me to upgrade that before my GFX card.

It's also not 1 AM anymore, so I don't get so annoyed at other recommendations. ;)
 
I run the CPU you first linked to, the Windsor 3.0, and I can assure you it runs HOT. If all you are looking to do it upgrade the CPU, I would take the advice of Junk and Emish. Run that Kuma 2.8 and overclock it.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but if all you want is better FPS that's mostly gfx card. I don't know what you currently have but, since you seem to be on a budget, check around for the off-brand stuff. I've seen some GeForce 9000 series for less than that CPU you're looking at buying.

your cpu can bottleneck your GPU a huge amount. and i assure you the CPU he has right now is his main problem
i went from a 4600+ 2.4 ghz (i think i can't even remember now) with a BFG 8600 GT OC TI edition running CSS everything low with 50-70 FPS average playing at 1024x768 window to a phenom II x2 550 3.1ghz and overclocked my GPU a little bit and can now play at 1680x1050 full widescreen with everything high including HDR with 270 fps
 
DO NOT USE BRISBAND!!! They all overheat. My Athalon X2 with a Brisbane core in it has always idled at 40c and heats up to about 70 at partial loads. I have rma'd it about 3 times. Using artic silver 5, and aftermarket cooler that is rated better than the stock cooler.
 
your cpu can bottleneck your GPU a huge amount. and i assure you the CPU he has right now is his main problem
i went from a 4600+ 2.4 ghz (i think i can't even remember now) with a BFG 8600 GT OC TI edition running CSS everything low with 50-70 FPS average playing at 1024x768 window to a phenom II x2 550 3.1ghz and overclocked my GPU a little bit and can now play at 1680x1050 full widescreen with everything high including HDR with 270 fps

Wow. I have a GeForce 7600 GT (PCIe version), by the way.

Also, thanks for the info Lightning.
 
your cpu can bottleneck your GPU a huge amount. and i assure you the CPU he has right now is his main problem

Yeah. I just meant that I've seen some people with a decent CPU and a waaay old GPU complaining they need a better CPU because they have low FPS. Sykes is not one of those people.

BTW- I'm running a pair of 9500's in SLI.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top