Obligatory how I'd fix the hat problem thread.

Shadowreaver

Rookie
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
57
Incoming block of text...

Touching on the hat problem, I came up with an idea of how to make item drops go towards getting a hat. That would be adding a credit value to "normal" drops and allowing those to be sold. Now before you go "TF2 isn't a MMO...", this is really more of an enhanced version of the trading system we all hope Valve is implementing anyway.

The "normal" drops we all are getting could be sold for something like 1 credit or traded to another player for another weapon. While hat drops would stay rare, people could buy hats off of other players for an amount of credits that they earned from their normal drops. A hat would only be able to be sold to another player, so that they would have a motivation to sell to players. The hats would go for a price that the owner would be able to set. So if you get a hat you don't like, you would be able to either trade said hat for another hat or for credits from a hatless player. This would allow unlucky players like myself, (surprise, a hatless player making a FIX TEH HATS! thread) a chance to gather up their credits to buy the hats off of stupid hat wearing jerks.

Feel free to post your own ideas.
 
Last edited:
Well its not that easy. Once people start selling their "normal" drop for point(in-game currency), then there are going to be people who would start proposing to have a system that will allow to buy points with real money and so on... After that the game we all love will be ruined. Just my opinion.
 
Well its not that easy. Once people start selling their "normal" drop for point(in-game currency), then there are going to be people who would start proposing to have a system that will allow to buy points with real money and so on... After that the game we all love will be ruined. Just my opinion.

I have faith that Valve wouldn't go the route of all those cut/paste korean RPGs that make you pay for in-game stuff. All the updates so far have been free. I would assume Valve wouldn't go down that road, no matter how many people would ask for it.
 
Last edited:
Meh.

Instead of a hat dropping, drop a coupon. You use the coupon to pick any hat you want, fixed.

Get the hat you want, don't get double hats. Your much happier because you have atleast 1 hat that is the one you wanted the most.
 
I like your coupon idea. The credit system is a good idea as well but soon there would be nerd trade empires for credits and it could get out of hand.
 
It isn't that easy, most players instead of trading for credits would first go for trading their hats for the other hats. Therefore people with the credits would be put on the backburner while they keep on being unlucky not getting hats. The coupon idea is the best.
 
I don't care what they do, just so long as it results in me getting a hat... :(
 
I have faith that Valve wouldn't go the route of all those cut/paste korean RPGs that make you pay for in-game stuff. All the updates so far have been free. I would assume Valve wouldn't go down that road, no matter how many people would ask for it.

Except that have admitted eagerly pursuing micro payment systems in their asian markets and want to impliment it in the future.

I am not implying that it will be soon or with Tf2. All I am saying is that don't put it past them.
 
The credit system would fail anyways. People would set up their own market and start idling on multiple accounts and computers to get more and more items. The hats wouldn't be any less easier to get, since people would price them so much higher than normal items that you'll have to get couple hundred weapons first before you can afford one hat. It'd just breed into an even bigger problem once people start selling their credits for real money.
 
I'm not sure how the trading system works, but I really want it to be a 1:1. One item in your posession for one of theirs. I don't want to deal with people telling me they want every item in my backpack for one hat or charging me X amount of in-game currency. A 1:1 system forces the hats to be worth as much as any other item in the game and it discourages people gouging others for hats.
 
guys their hats , wow big deal ? i mean granted i have none , but is it that big a deal .. ive gotten over people that play haldf as much as me have them .
 
Meh.

Instead of a hat dropping, drop a coupon. You use the coupon to pick any hat you want, fixed.

Get the hat you want, don't get double hats. Your much happier because you have atleast 1 hat that is the one you wanted the most.

I like this. If I were to get a hat, I'd want it to be for a class I play a lot, so ideally I would be able to choose.
 
Hats are mearly aesthetic. I don't need a hat to play the game. I don't know why people make a big deal about them, they do nothing but look good.
 
I don't know why people make a big deal about them, they do nothing but look good.

its the same reason some people by the guild wars expansion pack just so they can get Chaos Gauntlets :P

anyway, i too agree with the coupon idea, i got lucky one day and got Soldiers stash...unfortunately being a spy person i dont use the hat as much as i would (even though soldiers a secondary for me) so i still, sometimes, look at my spies hat area and sigh...

hats need to be rare but they cant be ultra common so here's an idea for you:

hats ARE rare and (maybe) you should get a random one (but it should'nt be a duplicate) but, how about you get one hat every x amount of time? say? every 50-100 hours? this way people can complain and whine about how its going to take forever but at least they know they'll get one! (i know this is cruel to those who dont have much play time...to them im sorry for suggesting something so time consumeing...)
 
I don't mind random drops, even though they seem to take forever, but what I would like to see them implement is the ability to pick up hats off fallen people.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top