PC Question(s)

Furiosity

Famous
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
427
I'm slowly attempting to build a desktop and I want to ask a few questions every now on then on this thread to make sure I make some decent choices. My budget is pretty much 400 USD Max, including shipping ( area code 33936 ).

I currently own a laptop(Plays TF2 5-20 FPS on DX8.1/Low Settings) which is what I may sell in order to upgrade.

I'm a bit timid to ask PC-Part related questions since I change my mind so often... but here goes...

Currently I have 124.01 USD. I should have another $50 within a month or so. Maybe more if I can sell some DVD's.

- I have purchased a case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147109 (-25 USD)

- Burner I've picked out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136167 . Might try and find a cheaper one.

- PSU I want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016 . I kind of only trust OCZ, but that's not written in stone. I also want a 500W+ PSU in-case I ever have enough for a HD4870 or better.

- HDD. I want at least an 80Gig and I mostly trust Western Digital.

+ Are there any DVI/S-Sub/HDMI to ( the yellow ) Composite Video adapters/cables in existence? I don't have a Monitor, just a TV.

+ Are microATX Boards limited to how large a video card they can have? I currently plan to get a Radeon HD 3850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102794), a HD 4870 ( 130 USD ) if I can afford it, or none if DVI/D-Sub/HDMI to composite adapters exist and wait 'til I got more money and then get a really good card.

+ When a Board says it is Phenom II can it run Phenom II X3/X4?

+ Can a PC boot + run with no Burner/CD Drive and install windows from a flash drive?

+ Will it hurt me noticeably to use DDR2 800 ( 6400 ) RAM?

These are the CPU/MB's I'm looking at right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.216717 ( I will need to buy a Network Card ( ~7$ ) and http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.240745.

I only care to play TF2 on Max with 50+ Frames, with AAX4(maybe?) and in the future Guild Wars 2 and maybe L4D2.
 
the HD 3850 has an S-Video out so that should work,
and yes, if a board says Phenom II, it runs any cpu's within the Phenom II line
 
Stick with that PSU you chose, OCZ PSU are cheap yet pretty reliable and are great for the price, with rebate of course. The best brand IMO is probably corsair but they are extremely expensive, im currently using a TUNIQ Ripper 1000w PSU which i got for 90 bucks with rebate which you cannot beat at alll. It is reliable and runs great, will last me quite a while im guessing and im happy with my choice, the rebate was $80 which is a steal.

The vid card, you could always go for a 4850 which are like 80 bucks with rebate now i think and try to overclock it. The 4870 is a bit pricier for only id say ~10 FPS or less?? but dont trust me on that.

Yes phenom II run on any MOBO that supports the Phenom II line since they use the same sockets.
 
+ Are there any DVI/S-Sub/HDMI to ( the yellow ) Composite Video adapters/cables in existence? I don't have a Monitor, just a TV.

yes some video cards come with such adapters included. Many of the evga cards did. These adapters plug into the port that looks like but isn't a svideo port on the graphic cards and out put to three composite video outputs and a svideo output.

from the pictures of the video card you want there is an adaptor from the plug that looks like an svideo plug but is not to the composit out put. these are different than the yellow/red/white (componet)inputs on your tv.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top