PC not stable since reinstall OS

-Jv-

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
2,159
Since I reinstalled vista yesterday my pc is very unstable, just now it rebooted for no reason, apps lock up without a reason.

specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4GHz
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
Ram: 6GB Corsair DDR3
HDD: 2x250GB Maxtor's
OS: Vista 64Bit SP1
 
It could just be a bad install, I've had it happen a few times. I know it's a pain in the you know what, but reinstall again.
 
Yeah, reinstall it, then load up the newest drivers, then load your software. It happens.
 
what they said.

I've never really heard a 'valid' reason why installs go sour sometimes; guess it's just the nature of the beast.
 
Yeah that happened to me before with Linux, somehow when I burned the CD it left some files out. Almost the same case but just reinstall.
 
Since I reinstalled vista yesterday my pc is very unstable, just now it rebooted for no reason, apps lock up without a reason.

specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4GHz
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
Ram: 6GB Corsair DDR3
HDD: 2x250GB Maxtor's
OS: Vista 64Bit SP1

Since I'm reading CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4GHz which means you have over clocked it. If you are using a different os than when it was over clocked would you not have to re over clock the cpu to fit your new computer set up?
 
Since I'm reading CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4GHz which means you have over clocked it. If you are using a different os than when it was over clocked would you not have to re over clock the cpu to fit your new computer set up?

No he wouldn't. However, if the system is overclocked it will introduce instabilities causing the described crashes. I also strongly encourage people to reset their clockspeeds to stock when installing software of any kind especially Operating Systems and Drivers. A poorly overclocked system will introduce all kinds of nifty errors and crashes. Run programs like memtest, orthos, and prime95 to ensure your overclock is stable before running it at those speeds 24/7. Just because a system boots at overclocked speeds does not mean it is stable.

Reset your computer to stock clockspeeds before reinstalling to see if that alleviates your issues.
 
I reinstalled it, still not entiry stable. I removed the overclock but I'll download SP2 and see what that does.
 
I reinstalled it, still not entiry stable. I removed the overclock but I'll download SP2 and see what that does.

I was about to suggest downloading all service packs and updates. Try looking through the Event Viewer and seeing if you can find any services crashing. Sometimes new "Stable" driver releases have caused a new installs for me to become unstable for some reason I can't explain. I have to find an older stable driver to use. This happens with video cards for me. Before I redo an OS I write down the version numbers of my drivers and always keep a backup of them just in case the newest ones some how make an unstable reaction.
 
I was about to suggest downloading all service packs and updates. Try looking through the Event Viewer and seeing if you can find any services crashing. Sometimes new "Stable" driver releases have caused a new installs for me to become unstable for some reason I can't explain. I have to find an older stable driver to use. This happens with video cards for me. Before I redo an OS I write down the version numbers of my drivers and always keep a backup of them just in case the newest ones some how make an unstable reaction.

Try this what REpear said, it worked for me.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top