Best Gaming Keyboard?

Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
214
Hello there! Ive got a question for you! Whats sticky, annoying, and smells like peanut butter?

No, not your mother-in-law! My keyboard!

Anywho, since my keyboard is broken, im looking for a replacement. Im an avid TF2 player so id like one of them nice gaming keyboards. Im looking for a reasonably priced one, and if possible, one that has a microphone slot-hole-thing built right in it. That would be swell. Thanks for your help!
 
Well i dont really know any that have the headset ports but a lot of the gaming ones have ports for a USB. The Microsoft Sidewinder X6 is a good keyboard and has one USB port that i know of and its a gaming quality keyboard. Honestly you should focus more on a gaming mouse rather than a gaming keyboard because keyboards all function similar, its just the lights and feeling of it. I would check amazon.com for prices, they are usually cheaper for acessories like these.

Microsoft Sidewinder X6 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109063

Logitech G11 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126009
This one has 2 USB ports but still no headset ports

Razer Arctosa - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114009

Razer Lycosa - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114008

These are only a couple of the many gaming keyboards out there and i havnt found any with the headset ports but i personally like the Razer keyboards over the others but thats just a preference. They all performan pretty much the same though and the Sidewinder X6 has a detachable numpad.
 
If you are to make an investment get a keyboard with an option to lockout the windows key. I know on the logitech G11/G15/G19 series keyboards they *should* have an option to do that but I'm not 100% on that.

I currently have a saitek Eclipse II that lights up but is otherwise unspectacular. If you are not planning on getting a keyboard with macro keys or any of the "newer" features I would do what PewPew said and get a better mouse.

I wouldn't use headset ports that come with any third party units. You want to be plugging your headphones/speakers directly into your soundcard otherwise there will be noticable sound quality drops.
 
I concur with the above. I have the Eclipse II like Phasexero, and although it's not the most amazing keyboard ever, it's definitely the best I've owned -huge difference over your stock (it came with the computer - keyboard).

Definitely buy a quality mouse. Keyboard though - eh, you just need something with decent key response.
 
Hello there! Ive got a question for you! Whats sticky, annoying, and smells like peanut butter?

You forgot to add "missing the writing on the WASD keys :biggrin_old:

I'm using a 2 year old Microsoft standard keyboard and its seen better days. If I had the money right now, I'd be looking at a G15/19
 
Those keyboards are expensive and its not like you get better at gaming because you use them -.-
But enthusiasts like to have the best, i just wouldnt dish out that kind of money for a keyboard, id get one in the 50 dollar range maybe 70 if i need to or want to. I like to focus more on getting better parts for my PC like a higher end vid card or something.

So far im using a 10 yr old Dell keyboard which is still holding up, probably wont be getting rid of it unless i want to since i game somewhat frequently being on the scrim team or unless it breaks.
 
all i want really is back lit keys, not a 50 different macros, just back lit keys so i can type easily in the dark.
 
all i want really is back lit keys, not a 50 different macros, just back lit keys so i can type easily in the dark.

Evil thread stealing fiend! I did some research for you. Check these out:
-http://www.xoxide.com/superslim-illum-keyboard-black.html

-http://www.xoxide.com/logisys-multimedia-illboard-black.html

You forgot to add "missing the writing on the WASD keys
Your mother-in-law has WASD keys? She should see a doctor about that. :O


Anyways, from reading these here posts, and some research on my own, Razer and Logitech are the best brands for gaming keyboards.

I love everything about Logitech G19, but holy crap is it expensive. The Razer Arctosa is good looking too, and much more in my price range.

Im gonna head down to Frys tomorrow and check em out in person. Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
 
Last edited:
My current favorite is the Logitech G15. The screen is quite useful, and the G-keys are nice and programmable. Now I didn't find much in game use for it, but ironically this has been a great keyboard for my workplace. And all my coworkers are astounded by it. And it lights up, can't hurt.
 
I have the G11 and i like it. G15 would be better but the color keyboard didn't match my computer color. I would recommend either one of those. If you decide to buy, make sure you update your software with your purchase.
 
i think you should go with the razer, i currently have a razer tarantula and it is a quality product it has taking quite the beating i must say, same as my razer mouse if you want quality and performance razer is were its at
 
If i were you i'd get a G15 thats what i have and its fairly usful. Love it infact and it has not died on me yet think its like 3 years old maybe? Maybe 2. Forget. But anywho my friend has a neat little keyboard with the WASD keys are metal so they will never get worn down, plus the arrow keys are like that too. I think its called "The Cyborg" or maybe just "Cyborg" but it probably cost alot too.
 
But anywho my friend has a neat little keyboard with the WASD keys are metal so they will never get worn down, plus the arrow keys are like that too. I think its called "The Cyborg" or maybe just "Cyborg" but it probably cost alot too.

that keyboard keys arent metal they are just painted a silver and look metal they may be a bit better of a key but the space button is odd on those keyboard if you have ever played with one. it costs around $90 canada for the cyborg
 
If you are to make an investment get a keyboard with an option to lockout the windows key. I know on the logitech G11/G15/G19 series keyboards they *should* have an option to do that but I'm not 100% on that.

I currently have a saitek Eclipse II that lights up but is otherwise unspectacular. If you are not planning on getting a keyboard with macro keys or any of the "newer" features I would do what PewPew said and get a better mouse.

I wouldn't use headset ports that come with any third party units. You want to be plugging your headphones/speakers directly into your soundcard otherwise there will be noticable sound quality drops.

YES, they do have a windows lockout button. It does come in handy, along with the programmable g-keys. U can get a G11 for 40-60 depending where u look , if you would like to have the LCD display which does come in use get the G15 for around the same price as a G11 on ebay.

For me , it came down to the G11 because i liked to blue keys as opposed to the G15's Red color scheme.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top