i need a new headset

Ph?bus

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
4,155
one that is rather sensitive because i talk kind of quietly so what are your suggestions? and nothing that is ridiculously priced.
 
It would be really helpfull if you told us your budget, as "ridiculously priced" is very subjective and varies from person to person.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826502007

This is a pretty good headset ( true 5.1 surround ) and has lots of possitive reviews ( lot's of eGO members have this headset and are loving it ).

Price is 49,99 $ and it has a flexible mic, I think it's perfect for your needs.

There are other quality products out there, but as I mentioned above, if you tell us how much are you willing to spend for it, it would be much easier for us to reccomend you a good headset.
 
5.1 headsets are a gimmick.

Assuming you have a sound card or good on board, imo, you should spend some cash and get audiotechnica AD700 ($100) or beyerdynamic DT770 Pro ($200) with a zalman clipon mic ($10).You can find these at newegg and guitar center.

I have had my DT770 s for 5 years, use them every day and they still are like new. You have to wear and listen to them to appreciate the sound.

I will never buy $50 headsets again, they break too easily and the sound does not even compare the studio quality monitors I mentioned above.
 
5.1 headsets are a gimmick.

Assuming you have a sound card or good on board, imo, you should spend some cash and get audiotechnica AD700 ($100) or beyerdynamic DT770 Pro ($200) with a zalman clipon mic ($10).You can find these at newegg and guitar center.

I have had my DT770 s for 5 years, use them every day and they still are like new. You have to wear and listen to them to appreciate the sound.

I will never buy $50 headsets again, they break too easily and the sound does not even compare the studio quality monitors I mentioned above.

I agree, 5.1 headsets are are gimmick...for listening to music and watching movies. Not someting an audiophile would pick up, that's for sure.

But for gaming they work wonders. They give you great positional audio, you can pick an enemy way before you see it, just by hearing his footsteps thus locating him with pinpoint accuracy. You can hear the sound coming from left to right, front to back.

I can't tell you how many times I've been called a haxor when playing CoD just because I could hear an enemy behind a wall or on the roof, thus killing him before he even noticed me.

A quality stereo headset can't be beat for listening to music and watching movies, but if you're looking for a headset for gaming, I would definitely go the 5.1 route. Just my 2 cents
 
i also need a new headset since the left speaker on mine bummed out on me recently and i just want to ask is 5.1 really that big of a difference?? I could tell where people were by hearing them with just stereo sound on my headset, because i could turn my view a little bit, hear it was more to the left/right or whatever type of thing, and map management lead me to know where they were.....so would 5.1 make that big of a difference?
i've personally never understood why people would spend 100-200 bucks on a headset, when i can go get a set that works perfectly fine for me, with a perfect mic, for 15 bucks...and will last me a few years
 
It would be really helpfull if you told us your budget, as "ridiculously priced" is very subjective and varies from person to person.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826502007

This is a pretty good headset ( true 5.1 surround ) and has lots of possitive reviews ( lot's of eGO members have this headset and are loving it ).

Price is 49,99 $ and it has a flexible mic, I think it's perfect for your needs.

There are other quality products out there, but as I mentioned above, if you tell us how much are you willing to spend for it, it would be much easier for us to reccomend you a good headset.

well my budget isnt over 100, and that turtle beach is lookin really good
 
well i just found out how to turn up the volume on this head set, but i still am thinking about getting that turtle beach x52
 
Well if your budget is around 100$, my other recommendations would be:

Tritton AX51 Pro:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235007

89.99 with free shipping

Razer Barracuda HP-1:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153002&Tpk=razer barracuda hp-1

119.99


I have the HP-1 myself ( Tritton headsets are not available where I live ), coped with a good sound card they produce amazing sound. This was one of the rare purchases I don't regret making. the Tritton AX51 is also a great 5.1 headset, it has tons of positive reviews.

You gave us your budget, we gave you more choices ;)
 
that kind of limits the quality

Indeed it does.

Tidus, if you could find an additional 20$ lying around somewhere, you could get the X-52 from Turtle beach. Great 5.1 gaming headset, not expensive at all for the preformance it offers.
 
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KUSXXU[/ame]

Around $30, delivers great sound, mic is crystal clear, and is exceptionally comfortable.
The mic swivels up and down, and fits in a small compartment in the band part for storage or when its not in use. ( i like this alot because ive found that bendable mics tend to break)

I got this headset for my b-day (Aug 8th) and have used it since and i absolutley love it.
 
I hear the turtle beach headset X-52 works wonders, and it's not over 100. Try that out.
 
Im actually planning on buying a new headset also. I've been looking at the steelseries siberia full-size headset and it looks great. The aesthetics on it are amazing and its meant for gaming and to be used for music so thats a plus compared to other just gaming headsets. The siberia is a original design coming from icemat siberia which was a huge hit and still is. This headset was developed alongside gamers and the teams are listed on their website, SK gaming, fnatic, etc..

This headset received amazing reviews and its only $60 on amazon, i am certainly going after this one, some of you may not like the microphone though as it is completely separate but it gets the job done. They say you may have to turn up the gain a bit though but that should be fine. This is the best looking headset i have yet to see for use outside gaming and while gaming.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Siberia-Full-Size-Headset-White/dp/B000V9AU6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1251462950&sr=8-1[/ame]
Amazon sells headsets and accessories cheaper than newegg i have come to find, for most of them atleast.

The other headset you guys were mentioning, the earforce x-2. Amazon sells that for $51 with free shipping, better than newegg cuz the shipping is included. I would think about getting these except they are kind ugly looking, im not doubting the performance it brings though. I think ill go with the steelseries though, looks like very good buy.


One question,
Do you guys think i need to buy an onboard pci slot soundcard?? i hear the onboard audio will cut it these days but the only downside is the performance drop. I have no problem with the drop in performance as i am already getting 150+ fps on source and such. But i have a realtek onboard audio, 8 channel, will this be enough or will a cheap soundcard be better?? i dont really want to dish out extra money as money is a bit tight and i dont want to spend it on something i dont need. I only need a headset since my old one broke.
 
To answer your question PewPew, using onboard sound will indeed drop the performance in games, but it usually isn't more than 2-3 FPS depending on the soundcard, so it's really negligible.

Also a cheap soundcard won't help you much in preventing FPS drops, as it actually has to have it's own RAM in order to help your CPU and GPU to keep those FPS up.

But those sound cards are usually 70+ $ and again, the boost in frames is so small you won't even notice it. What a decent sound card will help you with is to give you better sound/clarity.
 
yea my main question was really just about how much of a boost of sound performance and clarity and stuff but sorry if you thought it was about gaming performance drop.

I probably wont be buying a sound card anyway, cant justyify putting out that much money just for a sound card.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top