idler trouble watch out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is real.

I honestly don't think idle programs need to be used by anyone, especially our community players. I don't care how much you want an item. As far as i'm concerned, it is no different than typing in a give item code in the console and being given the item. And from a developer's perspective, it's a slap in the face to have impatient, ungrateful people trying to undermine something you've spent countless hours working on, good or not, it is how it was made.

and just as a side note, there was an update today.

Seeding does the same thing...Do you seed? If so you should stop, because you might find an item.
 
All valve need to do to stop this is make it so that people can't gain items on a non-VAC server. That's how the idling program works, and if it ever gets to a point with about 10,000 people idling and 2,000 proper servers, most of which are empty then I feel the need for something to be done.

/rant
 
They would be empty regardless. People Idle when they wouldn't be playing. It's not like people only idle/ idle instead of playing. Speccing those 2k servers full doesn't help either, which would happen if the idle client gets removed. Imagine having to kick people all the time for idling in nearly full servers
 
Yeah, but it gets people to acctually be ingame. If I could idle all day and all night, I still wouldn't. I know that if I get a hat, I get one. I don't, I don't. That's what Valve wanted, something to make players unique, not to sit in some fake 10,000 man server to try and gain. I bet the hat system was used to try and intice people to play more, not sit in idle servers to try and gain them. That's my take on it, I think of it like coupons that supermarkets give out to try and keep you shopping there.
 
I wonder when the idling debate will end. It never gets anywhere, always the same people saying the same things. I idle, you don't. Both sides have their arguments, neither is wrong, just like republican vs liberal. Just different ideology. Stop complaining about idling, it shouldn't bother you what I do with my computer when I'm not on it.
 
Over the next few days we'll be removing all TF2 items that were earned using external idling applications. We're going to adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system. Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system. Going forward, if we find users using external applications, we'll remove all of their items. If you're interested, only about 4.5% of the players in TF2's community will be affected by this cleansing process.

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory. We've also significantly increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

We realize there is a high level of demand for items, and we're still working on systems to allow you to find them in new ways (via Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items). However, we need to draw the line at running external applications.

so... ya
 
Valve now holds a 0 tolerance to the idle program...Do not use the idle program unless you want all your items to be deleted from now on...Im sure eGO will soon hold a 0 tolerance on the idle program as well...
 
aw this is what I get for using the idle program :( no hat 4 me

Gratz to those who got a new hat!

I also noticed that they said that the hat increase was significant, hopefully not above 5%, still want it to be suprising
 
Last edited:
So wait, let me get this straight.


First they say they don't care about it, then they say their removing peoples stuff and giving people who haven't used it a FREE HAT!?

:facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall:
:facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall:
:facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall::facewall:

GET YOUR STORY STRAIGHT VALVE!
 
I would like to point everyone out to this page (Shamelessly found on the steam forums, but I did know about this):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

Read it. It's essentially what Valve is doing in this situation.

If you don't read it, an ex post facto law is basically when a trend, not necessarily common, that is fully legal gets changed to an illegal matter. Sometimes, unfortunate souls will be punished for a crime that they had participated in before it actually was a crime.
 
So, any word on idle servers? (not the idler program, but actual servers used for idling in-game).
 
I think those are still OK because you are actually in-game and on a server rather than using an alternative program...But who knows...Valve might target those next, though I doubt they will since they technically are servers that are paid for...
 
same message

Not fake!!! I got the same thing today but hit OK just as I was thinking "screenshot"...:facewall:
First time I ilded for a long period of time, and I just got stuff I normally get play the game... I'll not idle no more!!
 
Eh, I never got the point of Idling. All you're really working for are a bunch of cosmetics that don't really do anything. Yes, they look nice, yes, getting your favorite hat, or even A hat certainly gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. But they don't add anything but a bit of character to some very well designed classes. Besides, most of the time you wont even see it, except when it does a pop fly off your dead body.

And the award hat, titled the "Cheater's Lament", certainly shows off Valve's fairly twisted sense of humor. I'm actually not sure about wearing this one in public, because it feels like I'm passing judgment on people. Maybe just when I'm playing medic, because it feels appropriate. :P

Note: The Cheaters Lament can be worn by any class.
 
And the award hat, titled the "Cheater's Lament", certainly shows off Valve's fairly twisted sense of humor. I'm actually not sure about wearing this one in public, because it feels like I'm passing judgment on people. Maybe just when I'm playing medic, because it feels appropriate. :P

"M.c.P's coolness has been doubled"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top