TF2 in 64-bit OS?

crazyrockets

EGO Zealot
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
1,916
Hey everyone, I have Windows 7 Professional x86 installed on my gaming desktop, and was thinking of changing it to the 64 bit version. I have the OS already and my system supports x64, but was worried that TF2, which is the main game I play, might not work as well.

If anyone has any experiences with TF2 on a 64 bit OS (preferably bad, good experiences don't always tell as much) I would love to hear them.

Thank you very much in advanced.
 
I have not had a single problem with the 64bit Vista and TF2. The only problem I have is an occasional graphics card glitch where the screen goes all black and white and artifacts like crazy. But that's a rare occurrence and probably not O/S related.
 
I'm playing it on the Win 7 Ult 64bit RC - absolutely no problems with TF2, just had to let the automatic steam install do its thing. Go for it. :)
 
I have 64bit vista and have never had a problem with tf2 on it.
 
64 bit shouldnt matter for it. TF2 only runs in 32 bit mode. When you install 64 bit you'll see something like Program Files and then Program Files (x86). <--that is your 32 bit software in there. 64 bit can use both modes with the exception of a few various pieces of software that I've come across, but none of it is gaming related. That's kind of a rough explanation for it, but the only valve game that truly runs 64 bit is HL2. Everything else just runs in 32-bit compatibility mode. Runs just fine. Go for 64 bit.
 
Majority of people use a 64bit OS for gaming systems, being capped at 3.5gigs of ram ftl.
 
i only have problems when i am in dods and go out of the game without closing the game and surfing on the internet when i go in the game again everything is purple. so i just restart the game and is fine again.
 
64 bit windows 7 actually improved my TF2 and made it to where i didn't crash (looping sound crash error)
 
64 bit shouldnt matter for it. TF2 only runs in 32 bit mode. When you install 64 bit you'll see something like Program Files and then Program Files (x86). <--that is your 32 bit software in there. 64 bit can use both modes with the exception of a few various pieces of software that I've come across, but none of it is gaming related. That's kind of a rough explanation for it, but the only valve game that truly runs 64 bit is HL2. Everything else just runs in 32-bit compatibility mode. Runs just fine. Go for 64 bit.

What he said. I'm running Win 7 64-bit and have had no problems at all.
 
Yea. The 32 bit works really well, but I have 4gb of ram, and I would like to open up all of it. Windows 7 pro seems to be running fairly stably also. The only problem I've had with it is it sometimes has troubles waking up after going to sleep (At least that hasn't changed since they introduced the sleep setting).
 
Back
Top