CS:S Choke and Lag Issues

Stephen

I made one post
Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
8
First off before going into specifics, here are the following specs of the laptop if it proves helpful in diagnosing the problem:

Laptop Model: T500 Lenovo

Processor speed: 2.4GHz Duo

System Memory (RAM): 3GB

Hard Drive type: SATA (5400 rpm)

Hard Drive Size: 160GB

Graphics: Ati Radeon HD3650m Discrete Video Adapter

Battery type: 9-cell lithium-ion
Wireless Adapter: 56 Kbps
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to ryang737 For Creating the above template in another Laptop Problem related Thread.


Now to the problem.

I recently purchased this laptop (less than 1 month) and have noticed from the start when I began playing CS:S that I've been experiencing reoccurring choke and lag spikes.

These Spikes are not related to my video card do the fact that my frame rates remain within the 80-250+ range.

I've updated my sound drivers (Conexant HDsmartAudio) as well as my Video drivers for my ati radeon HD3650 video card.

The drivers I am currently using for the video card are:
Radeon Omega Drivers 4.8.442 based on the Catalyst 7.12.


In-game periodically every 5-10 seconds I experience split second lag where my "Loss" (In net_graph 3) reaches 15-17 and my "Choke" reaches 5-8.

Additionally during these spikes, my weaponry appears to refresh since their icons appear to the right of my screen. Also, the physics seems to "sometimes" depending on the lag-spike to refresh as well, where bodies "re-fall" into their positions.

I do not see how my video card is the reason for this.

Perhaps because I'm on a 54kbps wireless adapter, these problems appear?

A question I would very much so like to be answered is: "What rates (cl_cmdrate, cl_updaterate, cl_upspeed, rate, etc.) values should be set for the "jailbreak" and "school" servers for a user on a laptop wireless connection?"


Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you


_______________________
Stephen
 
So perhaps the game is giving issues to the laptop... because I have the same issue since I installed the game. But yours seems to not resist the capacity of memory on the laptop. Therefore the game is the issue for these problems. Or it could be that your laptop needs to cool down. If that's the case I suggest not turning on your laptop 1 full day and then when you use it for 4 hours not to play the game. The cause of this is because laptops weren't meant to be for gaming (excluding gaming laptops, of course.) Also try to get down at the gaming a little bit. If it's still an issue I would reccomend the use of other memory cards because laptops also don't hold in touch a very good memory card (such as graphics videos and etc) So I suggest you doing this. I'll also try it since it's a real concern to me why my laptop has problems.

P.S: Where did you buy your laptop
 
its all about your laptop internet capabilities, your internet service/provider and any modem/router/cables inbetween.
do not try to play with wireless internet and think you will not get loss/choke. also do not play on crappy laptop internet adapters and think you will not get loss/choke. and do not play through a router with however many other people on the internet as well and think you will not get loss/choke.
best bet is to play straight from your modem with a short undamaged ethernet cable and once every week power cycle every piece of internet equipment you have at the same time

edit: i forgot to mention, there will always be lag where you see these things on our dust2/office/jail servers when they are all full. however i thought that was common knowledge by now and figured you already knew about that. however if you don't know about it, that could be the problem

editedit: your rates should be set to cl_cmdrate 101 cl_updaterate 101 and depending on your internet connection speed depends on your "rate" setting. most people its 25000 if you have higher than 1mbps connection. eGO servers will auto set these rates to cl_cmdrate 66 cl_updaterate 60 (as long as they are above said rates) because eGO servers are 66 tick. however if you play on a 100 tick server they will be set to 100, and 33 tick will be set to 33. so best to have it as high as possible and allow the server to set the limit, for best results.
 
Last edited:
well when there is about 17 on each team you will definitely feel the lag, could it be your rates and internet?
 
well when there is about 17 on each team you will definitely feel the lag, could it be your rates and internet?

see that depends, if its graphical lag like fps thats just full out comp specs like cpu/gpu but if you start seeing loss or high ping from so many ppl or something then its something to do with your internet. if its choke/low rates then its the server lagging not you...like how it gets on dust2/office/jail
 

Latest posts

Back
Top