ctf_blackmesa

Dragonhill

Thread Junky
=(e)=
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
772
hola all,

last nite garden put ctf_blackmesa_alpha up on the fun server for me

the server is running all hits as criticals..so it does throw off the game play abit

i would like every ones input.after playing last nite my personal feeling are that the map is too big still..i plan to shrink the lower areas foot print.. add more access to it..and maybe..just maybe wall off the hallways that connet the suction vent rooms to the platform rooms. obviously i would put some sort of new exit in the suction vent rooms..but my feeling is the lower area is still not being used enough.

almost thinking of putting the intelligence down there, move spawn to the current intelligence rooms.. or something new... just feels like the map can be more dynamic and chaotic.

~D
 
This might be a problem but I'm not sure. When you get out of the water, it lights you on fire, but you don't take any fire damage. Is this supposed to happen or is this just for visual effect?
 
This might be a problem but I'm not sure. When you get out of the water, it lights you on fire, but you don't take any fire damage. Is this supposed to happen or is this just for visual effect?

LOL, never played the map so I wouldn't know but I really do wanna try it;)
 
I am no mapper..But I have a couple of suggestions, but this one bothered me the most, and this involves spawn camping.

There should be alternative routes for getting out of the spawn. The main doors, make it too easy to spawn camp, and the two drop-down chutes are easy to spawn camp, and are too close to the primary route of leaving the spawn. (Not saying because I got spawn camped, is because me and my team was spawn camping them).

As soon as the opposition got out, they got slaughtered. Why? Because we had 2 engineers spawn camping with a gun on each side, and other classes that are able to spawn camp.
They ubered a couple of times in attempt to break the spawn camp though. But they never did. And people started leaving the server because of this (spawn camping is really easy).

The gameplay still feels similar to the cp version of blackmesa, though. The round I was in this morning, my team was more focused and cared about spawn camping more than actually capturing the intel. Any fix to that?

EDIT: The size of the map should be reduced a little. It's pretty big for a CTF map.
 
Last edited:
Dragon, two things.

First, when the blast door locks down, make the crouch door lock as well. It's too easy for a scout to double jump out if your team has the hallway locked down.


Also, how you have the map now, what about making a cp at the bottom? Just a small platform in the acid would be sufficient. Can you say koth_blackmesa????

Overall it did play well. Once all the kinks are out, it's gametime!!!!
 
Here is just a suggestion, I don't know how well it would work as I didn't play the map yet, but... If there is a way to make a single flag that spawns in the middle (wait I've played basketball i know it can be done), and the other team has to Return the Intel to the other teams base (maybe to blow up red/blu's Blackmesa section or w/e), The lock downs would happen when the Intel comes within a certain radius of the capture point.
It would definitely give BM a unique ctf feel. But that is a heck of a lot more work for you DH
 
How about a nice moat around each intel storage/capture area where a Steve swims round n round, looking for prey?
 
1) Keep the blast doors and their side vents locked ALL the time - force people to go under.

2) Have the acid area match the CP version.

3) Open up the the spawn exits like in the CP version.

4) Help me come up with a number 4.
 
I played on it this morning and it was definitely something fun and new for me. However, I feel like there is not enough cover especially in the underground area against hard hitting classes like soldiers or even heavies.
 
I've noticed maybe 2 minor flaws in the map itself.
First, the lights at the end of BLU's vent to the airventilation appears to be broken. As the Reds Air shaft has lighting, I assume this may be a mistake.
Secondly, above the acid opposite the vent with the BLU's directional arrow, is a small grey box in mid-air, pretty much at a diagonal to the stairs heading towards the centre of the underground. It's not too far out, any class can easily jump out onto it as well as put stickies onto it (The box itself is smaller than a sticky bomb for reference).
 
can we (people who haven't played on it ) get the alpha bsp file? So we can explore aspects of the map w/o also being conscious of other player. This could help with potentially flawed mechanics not notice during normal play.
 
Back
Top