Open [Forums] Add a chatbox

Teben

=(eG)=
The old website had a "live chat"/chatbox for all members to use for simple questions or demands such as; admin requests for servers, simple questions, navigation, etc ... which we're currently missing. So the base of this idea is to implement that, again! I feel like it would be beneficial to have an easily accessible chat for all members of the forum to use for their needs and or interests. Not just for essentials, but also for daily "chit-chat" for those of us who enjoy having a chat with both new and familiar faces. For those of you who's currently thinking "Well Teben, why don't you just use Discord?". Well to that I say my dear friend, we don't all use Discord as frequently as you might. Since new members might not be that integrated just yet they'll easier find their way to the chatbox located on the forums rather than the ones on Discord.

Example(?)

Last edited:
Upvote 13
there were a bunch of things like this on a list to happen when we got new forums,

but that was like a year ago so idk anymore

Wouldn't be entirely opposed. Just wouldn't know where to put it...

Anyway welcome back Teben <3

Put it where the old one was, at the top of the home page.
Wouldn't be entirely opposed. Just wouldn't know where to put it...

Anyway welcome back Teben <3
Thanks Andrew, and yeah I was thinking the same as Divine, or making this one a little like so:

chill front.png
chill.png

This is obv a really Microsoft Paint version of it, so a little smoother than the one shown in the images within the spoilers.

Last edited:
Please no. What is this? The year 2000? The old forum box was 9/10 times just spam anyways. Forum-based chatboxes are just so out of date. I can't stand em.
This is coming from someone who even uses IRC still from time to time. I'd rather sooner use that than a forum chatbox, they are tacky. I'd hate seeing it plastered all over the website if anything, one page on the toolbar, but that's it. Please.

I know this is not my most constructive suggestion post, but for real. Just please no.
There are so many better platforms of communication, adding another (imo dying for good reason) platform which just doesn't have a place in this day and age. I could just be one dude, but in any game or server I play in, the first thing I look for is a TS or a Discord. Do new players find the discord intimidating? If so we should be talking about that, how we can make our existing infrastructure more appealing, than just slapping another platform to maintain.

I mean no disrespect, no dissuasion; I do not want to appear condescending.
But -1. Please No.

Please no. What is this? The year 2000? The old forum box was 9/10 times just spam anyways. Forum-based chatboxes are just so out of date. I can't stand em.
This is coming from someone who even uses IRC still from time to time. I'd rather sooner use that than a forum chatbox, they are tacky. I'd hate seeing it plastered all over the website if anything, one page on the toolbar, but that's it. Please.

I know this is not my most constructive suggestion post, but for real. Just please no.
There are so many better platforms of communication, adding another (imo dying for good reason) platform which just doesn't have a place in this day and age. I could just be one dude, but in any game or server I play in, the first thing I look for is a TS or a Discord. Do new players find the discord intimidating? If so we should be talking about that, how we can make our existing infrastructure more appealing, than just slapping another platform to maintain.

But -1. Please No.
You're talking about this like I'm suggesting to scrap the whole forums and make new designs. If you look at the designs provided in the post you'll see an illustration of what I meant, and this design isn't clustered or tacky. It's about accessibility.

We need it to be easily accessible so that new members don't have to search through the edges of the forum to find a "live chat" for them to ask their questions. If you find this "tacky" then I think you're just picturing an outdated chatbox. People in general want their answers fast and short, we're making it easy for all by implementing an open platform for them to chat with us without having to go through the process of clicking their way through the entire forum just to find a Discord link, link that up in MAUL, etc... This isn't a big platform either, we have a Discord and teamspeak with tons upon tons of channels to talk in. This is just for those less connected to ask for favors / "small" questions. For the past weeks I've searched for a platform to ask "less important" questions / request admins on servers without having to directly PM people- questions not worthy of a post. It's simple really. If you're not for this idea, then that's fine. Although I'm going to need more than a "I don't like the way it looked" in order to sway me over.

It might be hard to forget the clunky dinosaur of a shoutbox we had with vB, but there are much better, simpler, shoutboxes that are available for XF. For example:

sidebar-png.173613

That's all it is. Granted, it is €9.99.

Darthbox! Plus there were super secret eG/eGO level chats where we would taunt the Gs and make fun of ban contests, as is tradition. So I vote for its return.

I also vote for 4g0tt3nSou1 4g0tt3nSou1 to be forced to play on the eG team in the next dog tag scrim. Preferably for a game he does not own so that team will be short-handed and blame him for their loss.

And I vote in favor of joining Ledzo Ledzo in welcoming back Teben Teben . BTW, how much did your laptop cost?

But -1. Please No.
do not disrespect the shoutbox if u don't want the smoke

+1 because shoutbox awesome

It might be hard to forget the clunky dinosaur of a shoutbox we had with vB, but there are much better, simpler, shoutboxes that are available for XF. For example:

sidebar-png.173613

That's all it is. Granted, it is €9.99.
gofundme

I think shoutboxes are outdated but I'm not against the idea.

For real though, there are gamers who don't use discord? It's such an easy program to use and navigate. Not sure why people wouldn't want to be connected in the best way possible, which is Discord and has been for quite a while now.

I think shoutboxes are outdated but I'm not against the idea.

For real though, there are gamers who don't use discord? It's such an easy program to use and navigate. Not sure why people wouldn't want to be connected in the best way possible, which is Discord and has been for quite a while now.
I don’t use discord and I’m the best gamer out there

+1 shoutboxes help keep the forums active and are an easy outlet for the conversations that aren't really worthy of a full thread. I honestly just assumed that the shoutbox was gone because it wasnt coded back in yet since the updated forums happened.

Back