YSD's random thought of the day (3-5-10)

YoSpankDawg

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
2,019
This is a 100% serious thought, so treat it as such...



Consider this...

Think about your favorite eGO DoD server...


Maybe it is Avalanche. Envision the snipers from all angles watching the middle, or the MGs raining down destruction on any poor soul who tries to outrun the bullets. Picture the grenades falling all over the place. If you are making an active effort to assault the enemy and push, how long does each life last?

eGO hosts six 24/7 servers, not counting the events server or the newest server. These six 24/7 servers are Avalanche, Charlie, Donner, Flash, Kalt, and the sniper server.

Maybe you play Donner. Many of you do, and it is always the most populated. Seemingly around every corner there is somebody (or multiple people) waiting. Any window yields the possibility of a sniper or an MG or some other treachery.

The hl stats reset sometime in early August. In the seven months since, just over 22 million kills have been registered in all of the servers combined.

Maybe you're a Flash aficionado. Flash is fairly straightforward as you--and your enemies--end up rather bottlenecked in that one road. Yes, there are houses and fields to the side, but you're always a few seconds away from somebody. I always said that it was appropriately named, because you could always be back to where the action is in "just a flash."

These ~22 million kills in the last seven months runs an average of just around 100,000 kills every single 24-hour period for all of he servers combined.

Maybe you love Kalt like I do. Around every turn there are snipers and MGs waiting. If you're in the sewers you can go forward, towards the enemy you know is waiting, or run away (but any true sewer rats knows that the former is the only actual option). Or envision the opening German nade-barrage on the bridge that anybody knows is suicide to approach, and only the bravest--or most foolhardy--faces to throw nades of their own.

WWII lasted close to exactly six years.

Even if you frequent the Sniper server, you live longer, on average, than other servers, but what happens if run across the open anywhere? What if you stand still for one second without finding cover first? You know that there is somebody always watching and you aren't going to last for long.

With the roughly 70-72 million deaths that came as a result of the fighting of WWII over that six-year period, this is an average of around 33,000 deaths per day over the course of the war.

Maybe you enjoy Charlie. With a full server--including just a couple of good MGs or snipers--crossing the beach is a nuisance, not to mention that around every bend of the trenches you might meet your demise.

People die in eGO servers at a rate of just 3x as fast as what happened in real life during WWII. This could be one day of intense fighting, two days of rest, repeated for six years. It might be 8 hours of fighting, 16 hours of rest every day for those six years. Go see if you can even last 8 hours on a server--and then think about all of those deaths being real people. See how many times you alone die in 8 hours. Try to name that many people you know.



Anyways, I understand that it is different because it is all of the deaths concentrated in just six places, and other events that lead to that total of 72milion deaths. I also know that we push and are more reckless because we know that we will just respawn if we die, but my point is that we get playing and desensitized to it and think of all of these deaths as being the sort of thing you'd only see in a video game, but they are not too far gone from what it was like. There were even more causalities on D-day than we average in Charlie in a day. Even as MG class, good luck getting as many kills in one day as this guy did...

I'm not saying that we need to change our attitudes or even that I am gonna or whatever. This was all just my random thought of the day and I figured I'd share it with all of you.
 
2ptruon.jpg
 
I enjoyed your summary, however, it should be noted that 45 million of those deaths were civilian; innocent people that died due to murder, bombing , land mines, and starvation, Etc.

In Vietnam, over 1.2 million civilians died, not including Vietnamese combatants posing as civilians.

I served two tours of duty in Vietnam during a time when the US had the highest casualty rate, and I agree with what you are saying about how we play the games. We often hear someone say "take the flags", even though 2 MGs are slaughtering everyone that gets near. In real life, any leader that knowingly sent his troops into a slaughter zone usually didn't live to do it again, something mysterious would happen and we would never see him again.

I was a Lieutenant, and no matter what I was told by a superior officer, I wanted my men to go home to there families. It is more important to use caution, fight to the death if necessary to protect each other and complete the mission. But living to fight another day was even more important. I play our games that way to some extent, "life before slaughter"; live to continue doing as mush damage to the enemy as possible and take as many flags as "possible".

GOOD POST YOSPANKDAWG
 
I served two tours of duty in Vietnam during a time when the US had the highest casualty rate, and I agree with what you are saying about how we play the games. We often hear someone say "take the flags", even though 2 MGs are slaughtering everyone that gets near. In real life, any leader that knowingly sent his troops into a slaughter zone usually didn't live to do it again, something mysterious would happen and we would never see him again.

I was a Lieutenant, and no matter what I was told by a superior officer, I wanted my men to go home to there families. It is more important to use caution, fight to the death if necessary to protect each other and complete the mission. But living to fight another day was even more important. I play our games that way to some extent, "life before slaughter"; live to continue doing as mush damage to the enemy as possible and take as many flags as "possible".

Loo-tennit Dan?!

No, I am just kidding. I thank you in all seriousness for your service in our armed forces, especially in such a difficult time. I had several family members who served in Vietnam, but I do not know the details other than who.
 
WoW. Very interesting. How did it take you to make this up.

I don't know if you meant to write it like this, wondering how I, of all people, came up with this and so I should be offended, or if you meant to ask how long it took me to make this up. haha
 
Back
Top