Possible event idea??

YoSpankDawg

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
2,019
So how about this one...

1) Compile a list of people who'd be game to participate.
2) Figure out "team captains" (leadership, if participating. "Best" admins otherwise)
3) "Captains" pick their teams, based off of all participants (like picking teams for backyard football).
4) "Captains" decide who will be what classes as well as what strategies they will use, who will go where (like who had WH, sewers, or bridge in Kalt), etc. They can, of course, have people on their team help plan if they choose to.
5) Schedule scrimmages in events server (seems to have a lot of down time and also this way they can password it to ensure that the two competing teams are the only ones in-server). Pick maps randomly, cycle through maps, etc.



Why?

It's something new (kinda) and encourages teamwork. It is massively fun playing as a unified squad. Also, with HLX stats being turned off in the event server, no worries of selfish play.


I figure if we get a bunch of people interested, then leadership will be more likely to give it the ok. Who's interested? Post your (current) in-game name.
 
I think this would be a smart idea, and fun. Hit up your division event coordinators about it (not sure who runs that in DoD)
 
ah yes, and we'll call it Realism. haha nah, I see what you're saying, scrim teams, intramural competition. It's been tried and tried again and there are sooo many issues with the concept that I would be more than surprised to see Council give it the green light, at least how it's outlined here
 
ah yes, and we'll call it Realism. haha nah, I see what you're saying, scrim teams, intramural competition. It's been tried and tried again and there are sooo many issues with the concept that I would be more than surprised to see Council give it the green light, at least how it's outlined here

Hey ron, what's your address? I'm gonna mail you a bunch of stuff I've made or come up with, not DoD-related, so you can spit on all of that too. :chair:



New idea: let's change nothing. Seven people in an event (out of thousands of members) is a smashing success. hahahaha
 
ah yes, and we'll call it Realism. haha nah, I see what you're saying, scrim teams, intramural competition. It's been tried and tried again and there are sooo many issues with the concept that I would be more than surprised to see Council give it the green light, at least how it's outlined here

I could see it work, if you didn't have permanate teams. Make it a "realism" with a respawn and no boundry limits. I think it could work then.
 
I could see it work, if you didn't have permanate teams. Make it a "realism" with a respawn and no boundry limits. I think it could work then.

Where around here is the "salute" button?

I'd hit it right now.


...the button, that is.
 
ah yes, and we'll call it Realism. haha nah, I see what you're saying, scrim teams, intramural competition. It's been tried and tried again and there are sooo many issues with the concept that I would be more than surprised to see Council give it the green light, at least how it's outlined here

exactly what I was going to say!
 
hey ron, what's your address? I'm gonna mail you a bunch of stuff i've made or come up with, not dod-related, so you can spit on all of that too. :chair:



New idea: Let's change nothing. Seven people in an event (out of thousands of members) is a smashing success. Hahahaha

lol
 
ah yes, and we'll call it Realism. haha nah, I see what you're saying, scrim teams, intramural competition. It's been tried and tried again and there are sooo many issues with the concept that I would be more than surprised to see Council give it the green light, at least how it's outlined here

Couldn't agree more, I'm a higher rank memember in a WOW guild and I personaly know how hard it is to get any kind of event up and running. You should on the other hand focus more on joining realism and maybe coming up with some id?as of how to make that better.

eGO is getting old and thus have tryd alot of things and events by now and alot of it's memebers are from other clans so the amount of people and id?as that have been tryd in total is huge
 
Couldn't agree more, I'm a higher rank memember in a WOW guild and I personaly know how hard it is to get any kind of event up and running. You should on the other hand focus more on joining realism and maybe coming up with some id?as of how to make that better.

eGO is getting old and thus have tryd alot of things and events by now and alot of it's memebers are from other clans so the amount of people and id?as that have been tryd in total is huge

I've been in eGO for seven months now and I've just seen the S.O.S. I hear about all of these things that have been done before, but how different is the clan/community since then?

Right now the only thing that's close (close, not the same) is Realism...on Saturday nights. Come on now...
 
It's not really the effort that it would take to set this up. I think it ties back into the whole House episode where each server was (essentially) divided into their own house, and the houses would scrim, and eventually we were so fractured as a division that an entire house broke off and started their own clan. I think Kirk has a point, if you randomize the teams then you eliminate a lot of the tension that builds between the teams, but the last thing Council wants to see is the DoDS division tearing itself apart due to organized competition and if they detect that it might happen, this will go no where.

If you're going to do it, you need to go in Strong. You need to make a doctrine, outline all the rules, do it like the Realism folks did, draft a formal guideline for how this event would work and then drop box it. Brackets, team formations, request for server time, event time and dates, logistics of personnel, artwork for advertising and awards, and most importantly your plan to prevent strife within the division (which is borderline impossible in my opinion). But first, honestly, you'd have to revitalize a division that is hemorrhaging players. I definitely think it's a time for bold ideas and new events. DoDs is growing more and more lackluster as each day passes and we absolutely need some well-thought-out ideas to grab people's attention.
 
ah yes, and we'll call it Realism. haha nah, I see what you're saying, scrim teams, intramural competition. It's been tried and tried again and there are sooo many issues with the concept that I would be more than surprised to see Council give it the green light, at least how it's outlined here

what he said....definately sounds like realism night...
 
i suggested something like this a few weeks ago and the response you've got was pretty much the same as mine.
But dods needs something new, people are moving on mass to BC2 and we really need some freshness here, i think something like this would bring that, if we found a way round all the house issues.
 
The event server is empty 95% of the month. We are eGO we help finance and uphold its values and with every person that joins us adds to our community's diversity.

"its been tried before." "I don't think it will work." Ect.

Thats not fair we are not eGO veterans. I dont like hearing this from eGO veterans this is not a attitude conducive of a gaming community. We play to have fun and we form groups of like minded individuals in life to expand and share our hobbies with.

This response has obviously gone beyond this threads initial subject and I do not wish to attack anyone these are just my feelings on the matter. One thing everyone has agreed in here is that we need new ideas. It cant hurt dig up old ideas and blend them with new ones. You never know what we can come up with.
 
It's not really the effort that it would take to set this up. I think it ties back into the whole House episode where each server was (essentially) divided into their own house, and the houses would scrim, and eventually we were so fractured as a division that an entire house broke off and started their own clan. I think Kirk has a point, if you randomize the teams then you eliminate a lot of the tension that builds between the teams, but the last thing Council wants to see is the DoDS division tearing itself apart due to organized competition and if they detect that it might happen, this will go no where.

If you're going to do it, you need to go in Strong. You need to make a doctrine, outline all the rules, do it like the Realism folks did, draft a formal guideline for how this event would work and then drop box it. Brackets, team formations, request for server time, event time and dates, logistics of personnel, artwork for advertising and awards, and most importantly your plan to prevent strife within the division (which is borderline impossible in my opinion). But first, honestly, you'd have to revitalize a division that is hemorrhaging players. I definitely think it's a time for bold ideas and new events. DoDs is growing more and more lackluster as each day passes and we absolutely need some well-thought-out ideas to grab people's attention.

To Ides, I hate to quote myself but that's as much backstory as I know about why the idea has stalled in the past and what you can do to jump start it again. I like to think eGO leadership has refined methods and, since they know they work and feel comfortable, they stick to them. That's why any attempt to rejuvenate this event type will need to be compelling and convincing.

The reason the veterans say that this has been tried before is because for all the people interested in starting it, nobody has put an honest night's work into figuring out how it's going to work, down to the nitty-gritty detail, enough to propose a working plan to the decision-makers. You can search old threads, the most we've ever come up with is "let's make scrim teams, who's with me? Post below..." and that's simply not good enough. Veterans are not trying to discourage people, we're telling you that to make it work you might need to go the extra mile, and even then you will meet resistance based on the nature and the history of this type of event.
 
To Ides, I hate to quote myself but that's as much backstory as I know about why the idea has stalled in the past and what you can do to jump start it again. I like to think eGO leadership has refined methods and, since they know they work and feel comfortable, they stick to them. That's why any attempt to rejuvenate this event type will need to be compelling and convincing.

The reason the veterans say that this has been tried before is because for all the people interested in starting it, nobody has put an honest night's work into figuring out how it's going to work, down to the nitty-gritty detail, enough to propose a working plan to the decision-makers. You can search old threads, the most we've ever come up with is "let's make scrim teams, who's with me? Post below..." and that's simply not good enough. Veterans are not trying to discourage people, we're telling you that to make it work you might need to go the extra mile, and even then you will meet resistance based on the nature and the history of this type of event.

So you're implying that I haven't put thought into this...

1) I only put what I put because we don't need to have essay-length posts about a possible event. How many people are really going to pour through a giant wall of text to see if this is something they want to do?
2) As I mentioned, I was just looking for interest at this point. On one end of the spectrum, I am not going to present this as something that IS going to happen (which you know that a highly-detailed post would suggest), thus raising the hopes of some people who want to do it, just to have leadership shoot it down. On the other end of the spectrum, we already have plenty of events that nobody cares much about, so I am not going to suggest another one if there isn't the interest there...
 
Ronpaul's right here guys. He's not being discouraging, he's outlining the necessary work, objectives, and objections that must be overcome if you really want something like this to take off.

It's like saying "Let's start a business!" Ronpaul's simply letting you know that have any sort of investors backing you, you'll need to draft up a pretty detailed business plan.

He's also, between the lines, being extremely encouraging. He desperately wants you to succeed on this venture, or some other venture, in order to breathe new life into this division.

The biggest thing you'll have to do (in my opinion) is come up with a way to make the event interesting, and keep people from forming into sub-groups in the DOD division.

Here are my thoughts.

1. Have four five man teams in a single elimination tourney to start out. No respawn, when one team is eliminated the remaining team wins. If the event gets huge, spread it out to multiple nights. The only problem with multiple nights is that it becomes an exponentially more difficult logistical nightmare. Keeping it to one night is ideal (ie: the most realistic). Five man teams will also allow everyone in the event to stay in server in spectator to watch the matches unfold. It also serves to keep everyone around, not letting them get distracted by something going on elsewhere. Teams One and Two face off. Then Teams Three and Four. The two losing teams then face off, with the winner claiming the bronze medal. The two remaining teams then battle it out for first and second place.

2. Do this on the Colmar map, provided it can be loaded onto the event server with little trouble. IMHO, it's one of the most balanced maps for both sides. It'll also prevent any strange scenario where one team ends up capturing all the flags. Enforce a rule that no bombs may be planted.

3. Work out a system for casino cash betting. After teams are selected, have everyone place their bets (logistically annoying, but important). All players can bet again after every round if they desire. The reason for this is that even if your team loses, you still might "win" by backing another team. I say that the betting is important, because it encourages members from other teams to root for opposing teams, hopefully eliminating any remnants of unhealthy super-solidarity to that one team instead of the division.

4. Partner up with an advisor, DL, or event coordinator and benefit from their wisdom and experience. The best laid plans of mice and men, and all that. Things never go perfectly, and having an experienced hand at the helm will make an event enjoyable, and help you plan for issues you never thought of.

5. Randomly pick team captains, from eG and eGO ranks. I say randomly, because the more random the nature of these teams are from start to finish, the less likely you are to have any sort of that misplaced loyalty and the resulting division and strife it causes.

6. Get someone to draft up the artwork for a news announcement. IMHO, putting something pretty on the news page is one of the biggest steps in getting interest generated, and reminding players that the event is coming up. I can't tell you how many regular events I've missed because I forget that it's Monday night with it's ensuing Melee Madness. We all have hectic RL stuff going on, and a post right up front reminds us of what we were planning on participating in.

Good start? YoSpankDawg, I hear you on the idea of generating interest, but as Ronpaul said, there have been countless "Who's interested?" threads that come to nothing. To make this happen, you'll have to take a different route and do the planning first. DOD:S is a fine enough division that when given something new to do, most people will be interested. Draft up your battle plan and you'll find things will grow from all your effort.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top