explorer.exe and winlogon.exe come up as viruses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico_Mancin

Famous
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
560
Well I removed the security tool.exe thing, but I still have explorer.exe and winlogon.exe popping up as viruses in Hitman Pro 3.5.6

should I delete/quarantine them? they are both in the D drive, ones in the C drive don't come up as viruses. adding onto that, I also have the "google redirect bug" which is most likely directly from these two files.
 
Are they coming from /windows on your OS drive? (main one).


If they are NOT from your main debs, try removing them
 
Delete them both. If they are not on the C drive, which is the drive your OS is on, they should not be there.
 
@ iSimon
They're in legit windows folders, D:\Windows and D:\Windows\system32

@ Phobus
I'm not sure which my main drive is, though. I want to be 100% sure before I go and mess up my computer.
 
@ iSimon
They're in legit windows folders, D:Windows and D:Windowssystem32

@ Phobus
I'm not sure which my main drive is, though. I want to be 100% sure before I go and mess up my computer.

C is always the main drive.
 
You'd have to manually rename it to another drive yourself. If your D drive was your main drive, you would know it.
 
Both of them have WINDOWS folders and stuff, so you're a hundred percent sure that my D drive isn't my main one, and the whole WINDOWS folder can be deleted without consequence?
 
Alright, I just looked @ my video card drivers and they're all installed to my D drive.

hingke.png


That'd mean that D drive is my main drive, correct?
 
Alright, I just looked @ my video card drivers and they're all installed to my D drive.

hingke.png


That'd mean that D drive is my main drive, correct?

That is odd. C has been the main drive for every build I've done.
 
Sounds like a common virus going around, at least judging by this forum........ Most of the time C is your main drive however sometimes depending on your computer and who installed windows it could be your D drive. I would download a good reputable virus scanner like avg or something and verify that its actually infected. If it is a real virus you should get rid of it and be careful what you download, especially if you are on windows or have no virus scanner, because as we all know Most (not all) viruses are made to infect pcs.


-Oprah
 
PO Lice my advice would be, Download Malware bytes Anti Malware (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)
install it. update it. then scan, it should be able to just about take care of everything.
if your still having problems best way to solve it... REFORMAT!!!!!!! best AV TOOL EVER!
 
I have malwarebytes, I have hitman pro, but I need to know - will I be SOL if I delete these two infected files? They are NEEDED to start windows.
 
I have malwarebytes, I have hitman pro, but I need to know - will I be SOL if I delete these two infected files? They are NEEDED to start windows.

They are needed. But not entirely necessary. If all else fails, you could either do a system restore, or reformat.
 
The main virus deleted all of my restore points, and reformatting is out of the question since I don't have a disk.
 
try checking your HKEYREG for syntax that seem suspicious. If you're inexperienced with that kind of stuff i would reccomed going to an electronic store, they certainly know their stuff..

furthermore the D drive is a backup for your system. now if im not mistaking the virus is trying to infect yout C:\ drive and wants you to trigger a system recovery, which has one or more infected files causing severe damage to your computer... luckily the antivirus program has detected it. i would advice you to quarantene those files and the system hopefully will make new ones.. i had a simlar virus 3 years ago and it kept duplicating itself so to conclude:

quarantene before the virus can duplicate it self

-Lt.thomas
 
sorry for the super bump but I know people have bene looking for answers for this on google or anywhere possible

heres what I did:

cleaned comp out, but it had lasting damage. i had a real nasty version of the virus that basically continued eating away @ my comps performance. in the end it's best to just reformat and go on your way.

luckily my friend had a windows disk and I bought it off him
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top