- Joined
- Aug 2, 2009
- Messages
- 2,019
Seriously?!
I have agreed more with Dutch and Stormy on the forums lately than not...I have been on some pretty good terms (well at least not the usual "I hate you" "I hate you too" "I'll kill you!" "I'll kill you first!") with leadership...seriously--this is some Twilight Zone stuff.
Anyways, on to seeryus bizness...
I mentioned a week...two weeks?...a little while ago about wanting to do a sort of "A Year Through WWII" thing on the forums and I am really thinking I wanna give it a shot and it sounds like people were interested. If you find history boring, at least make sure you read the paragraph near the end...#2 of "my goals". I've still gotta meet with Leadership about it, just to get their input, but it looks like in order to do this right, I have to start from the beginning.
After all, what good does it do to go into details about a war, when you don't first discuss what started the war? That seems pretty irresponsible of me. Soooo...before I jump into the events of WWII, I am gonna cover the events that lead to WWII. One of the biggest ones, of course, is WWI. Therefore, I am going to do a brief walkthrough of WWI (hey, a lot of people don't actually know about it). However...if I just start with "Hey, here's WWI" without saying what started it, I would be pretty hypocritical, huh? SOOO...we are going to start all of this with events leading up to the outbreak of WWI! And trust me...some of them are direct factors in the history of WWII as well, so it fits in.
"Why are you telling us all this, YSD?"
Good question. I know I could just say BAM, Here it is! but...I really don't want to do that. I do want your guys' input on things. Especially if you are not American (this goes 2x for people outside of North America), PM or IM me anything you feel is pertinent. Truth be told, there are two problems with history:
1) In America, you learn American history (or our involvement in the wars). Same goes in Canada (you learn Canadian history), Germany (Germany in history), and everywhere else.
2) History is written by the winners.
Here are my two goals:
1) Teach you the history as factually as I possibly can. I love the history myself, so share stuff with me and let me check it out. Also...guys...I will mess things up. Here's the perfect opportunity for you to blast me.....or show some character and send me a message about how wrong I was, why you think I was wrong, and then let me swallow my pride and correct myself. I'd like to think I am going to portray everything correctly, but...I'm kidding us all if I claim I will get it all right.
2) To present things in a hopefully-interesting way. I know a lot of people find history boring. I don't, myself, but I can sure see how/why others might. I am going to do my best not to just throw a wall of text up there, maybe with a chart or two of force numbers, and say "HERES DA HISTOWY. LERN STUFFS." Nope. I am gonna try to use pictures, movies (you'll see), object lessons, maps, charts, analogies, etc. etc. If you're one of the "Gah I hate history" people, I want to hear from you too.
So there it is. Starting off with "events leading up to WWI"--hopefully on January 1 (if it is late...see: my signature for the reason why). If you've got stuff, send it in. I will give you credit unless you say otherwise.
I have agreed more with Dutch and Stormy on the forums lately than not...I have been on some pretty good terms (well at least not the usual "I hate you" "I hate you too" "I'll kill you!" "I'll kill you first!") with leadership...seriously--this is some Twilight Zone stuff.
Anyways, on to seeryus bizness...
I mentioned a week...two weeks?...a little while ago about wanting to do a sort of "A Year Through WWII" thing on the forums and I am really thinking I wanna give it a shot and it sounds like people were interested. If you find history boring, at least make sure you read the paragraph near the end...#2 of "my goals". I've still gotta meet with Leadership about it, just to get their input, but it looks like in order to do this right, I have to start from the beginning.
After all, what good does it do to go into details about a war, when you don't first discuss what started the war? That seems pretty irresponsible of me. Soooo...before I jump into the events of WWII, I am gonna cover the events that lead to WWII. One of the biggest ones, of course, is WWI. Therefore, I am going to do a brief walkthrough of WWI (hey, a lot of people don't actually know about it). However...if I just start with "Hey, here's WWI" without saying what started it, I would be pretty hypocritical, huh? SOOO...we are going to start all of this with events leading up to the outbreak of WWI! And trust me...some of them are direct factors in the history of WWII as well, so it fits in.
"Why are you telling us all this, YSD?"
Good question. I know I could just say BAM, Here it is! but...I really don't want to do that. I do want your guys' input on things. Especially if you are not American (this goes 2x for people outside of North America), PM or IM me anything you feel is pertinent. Truth be told, there are two problems with history:
1) In America, you learn American history (or our involvement in the wars). Same goes in Canada (you learn Canadian history), Germany (Germany in history), and everywhere else.
2) History is written by the winners.
Here are my two goals:
1) Teach you the history as factually as I possibly can. I love the history myself, so share stuff with me and let me check it out. Also...guys...I will mess things up. Here's the perfect opportunity for you to blast me.....or show some character and send me a message about how wrong I was, why you think I was wrong, and then let me swallow my pride and correct myself. I'd like to think I am going to portray everything correctly, but...I'm kidding us all if I claim I will get it all right.
2) To present things in a hopefully-interesting way. I know a lot of people find history boring. I don't, myself, but I can sure see how/why others might. I am going to do my best not to just throw a wall of text up there, maybe with a chart or two of force numbers, and say "HERES DA HISTOWY. LERN STUFFS." Nope. I am gonna try to use pictures, movies (you'll see), object lessons, maps, charts, analogies, etc. etc. If you're one of the "Gah I hate history" people, I want to hear from you too.
So there it is. Starting off with "events leading up to WWI"--hopefully on January 1 (if it is late...see: my signature for the reason why). If you've got stuff, send it in. I will give you credit unless you say otherwise.
Last edited:

























