Server issues: my Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeviTheDegu

EGO Addict
Joined
Jul 31, 2010
Messages
1,379
MY vent:​


Disclamer: I understand that leadership has their own lives, and other priorities. I'm just simply venting about the DOD:S division servers. I in no way want to spread hate upon leadership. I also understand that Jeod, Spray, and Slayr in no way hold power to fix the servers by themselves (this is left to the tech people and server handlers) DOD:S leadership is priceless and do all they can to help our division and I am very thankful for all their hard work
;););)


I feel like the death of the Day of Defeat division is upon us. I feel almost like the leadership has turned their cheeks on our server quality. Our servers are getting more and more boring because of the lower numbers that play on them. This isn't just because the game has been dying (it's been doing that for awhile now) but instead because the consistent lag issues. :chair:

These issues have been going on for months. They get “Fixed” then a day later they're back the server freezing, dropping packets, making bad reg worst. If this happens occasionally sure its okay. But multiple times per day? Why hasn't anything been done about this? IF no one can figure out the issue, perhaps it may be time to change hosts? Why hasn't anyone bothered to help us out. Just because we play a game that is slowly loosing numbers doesn't mean we're worth less to eGO then the Minecraft server.:confused1: Should all division get equal help? Or have we moved on to caring about new things and leaving the old ones to rot in poor hardware? I can't help but feel like an older child who gets no attention because a new sibling is born. I can't help but feel we've been stranded in an island with no support..... :(

Our event server was even having issues on the night of realism, our most popular event. How does leadership expect us to recruit with failing servers? How can we make a good name for eGO if even our members are playing on other servers, or all together refraining to play DOD:S because of our server issues? Where's the heart? Where's the DOD:S love? I understand that we all over priorities over games, I understand that within eGO we have different priorities, but for the love of god...Where's the DOD:S support? I know leadership's been working hard, and I know they do a lot for eGO...I know they are trying but I kinda feel left in the blue here.....What are you guys thoughts?]]</rant>[[:blushing:
 
first off, this has not been going on for months. 3 weeks, yes. I agree, its been happening for too long. Unfortunately, DL's and advisors have no box access, so we have no direct control over the servers themselves. The usual council members who tend to our DoDS servers have either been away or busy with minecraft.

DoDS leadership has been working during the past couple of weeks to rectify this problem, but we are looking into ways to prevent this from happening in the future as well. We will keep you guys posted. Just know that our advisors and DL's are and have been doing everything in our powers to get servers running again.

So to reiterate, the problems with the servers would not be fixed if DoDS leadership spent more time on the issues. Its not a matter of how much time we spend or the priority of the issues at hand. Its a matter of ability to actually fix the problems. The issues originate from a problem on the actual physical server, or box, which we have no access to.

-Blue
 
Last edited:
DoDS leadership has been working during the past couple of weeks to rectify this problem, but we are looking into ways to prevent this from happening in the future as well. We will keep you guys posted. Just know that our advisors and DL's are and have been doing everything in our powers to get servers running again.

So to reiterate, the problems with the servers would not be fixed if DoDS leadership spent more time on the issues. Its not a matter of how much time we spend or the priority of the issues at hand. Its a matter of ability to actually fix the problems. The issues originate from a problem on the actual physical server, or box, which we have no access to.

-Blue

I was trying to capture that in my disclaimer XD <3
 
Yes, most understand this but we are losing player's and we might not be able to get them back. We lost a lot when Kalt closed and I have only seen a couple since then. It is disheartening to lose so many dod friends.
 
Yes, most understand this but we are losing player's and we might not be able to get them back. We lost a lot when Kalt closed and I have only seen a couple since then. It is disheartening to lose so many dod friends.

here we go again....


I was trying to capture that in my disclaimer XD <3


just wanting to make it clear that DoDS leadership is just as frustrated, if not more so. We are and have been doing everything we can to get the appropriate higher-ups to listen to us, and we are beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel. As always, we will keep you guys posted.

until then, feel free to voice your concerns, we as leadership share all of them (well, most of them anyways).
 
Last edited:
If only VALVE would make another Day of Defeat:(. Or at least give us a big update. That would keep DoD:s alive.

They would have to re-invite DOD:S and release a new marketing campaign >_< just like everything else D:
 
Eh, I sadly dont play the servers enough; though Ive been hopping on donner more. The lag helps me I think, It makes me harder to hit; plus it makes really good players not as really amazing and I think its always fun to try and guess if the server will


Auto-disconnect in 30.0 seconds.
 
yeah i keep getting most of my lag outs and everything on donner and a few other servers. I think ive been getting it for like a mounth or so
 
Death Keepers logic and discussion points on this topic are all legitimate concerns. I cant help but feel like the people in our division are the best around and obviously DoD is and always will be my favorite game. But ever since ive joined ive seen the lag on our servers as a problem and our major weakness regarding recruiting new members and even keeping pubs on our servers. Contrary to what Blue says weve had lag for over a year, not the major disconnecting lag but the lag that is normally encountered in distant or poorly maintained servers. The recent and continuous disconnecting lag problems have been around for at least 6 months and have increased in severity and occurrence within the last month.

Some feel that DoD is a dying game but then again as soon as anyone is born or anything is created they begin dying or becoming outdated. However, DoD has many years ahead if individuals like us and our leadership members take proactive measures. This could include:

-Speaking with our current host to resolve any issues, maybe requesting daily restarts.

-Allocating more resources to fix the issues if problems exist because of our current plug-ins or add-ons.

Or


-PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF DOD DEMAND BETTER ESULTS FROM OUR HOST OR CHANGE HOSTS!!!

I know that our leadership is busy and that they have a lot of issues to contend with but I cant help but feel that we are being ignored to some extent. Our divisional leadership is doing what they can but that is limited to putting in a ticket for repair. The importance of fixing our servers cannot be underestimated. Every time we are disconnected from our servers we lose a large portion of our players, members and pubs alike. To be perfectly honest, if I did not belong to eGO I would probably avoid our servers because of the intermittent lag and constant disconnecting issues. (But all I play on are eGO servers?even if they currently suck)

P.S. Death Kepper, you deserve a lot of respect for broaching this taboo topic in such a courteous and enlightening manner.
 
speaking on a personal level, when I see my internet connection over the last year, and look at just about anyone else's, and then see people complain about their lag issues, I laugh.

I disagree that our servers have been laggy for the past year. I think our hit registration has been bad for that long, but most of that is because we run 66 tic servers.
 
speaking on a personal level, when I see my internet connection over the last year, and look at just about anyone else's, and then see people complain about their lag issues, I laugh.

I disagree that our servers have been laggy for the past year. I think our hit registration has been bad for that long, but most of that is because we run 66 tic servers.

Sorry Blue but youre wrong.

I cannot recall a time that our servers ran perfectly smooth. Our servers have had lag (and by lag I mean serious lag) problems since I joined about 2 years ago. If you cant believe that then you can at least remember the lag issues we had right before, during, and after BFBC2 came out (almost exactly one year). I remember that time well because that was also the time Donner became completely empty at night. (Coincidence or not?)

To give you even more evidence of our constant lag and server issues try to remember when our scrim team just started up. The scrim server was described as “laggy,” “choppy,” and “*^&#@$%” by both you, ronpaul, and several of your opponents. And i believe the Competative team started back up 4 or 5 months ago.

Whether its lag or registry errors i reccomend we all pitch in and get you a roundtrip ticket to Texas to sort this whole thing out.

But like DK and you have said our divisional leadership is doing all they can and this issue is a top priority. With that, im confident well get our servers squared away.
 
Last edited:
Guys dont argue among ourselfs the plain facts is we are losing players and that is a major concern, the question is what can be done to keep our servers steady and lag free?
 
I play any DOD server with a 15-25 fps rate. ANY server to me is laggy, whether it be just be me or the server. I have been playing this game since 1.3 came out, and through the years I kept that "Stupid lag" or "Stupid frames" attitude in the back on my head. This community has been here for me while I went on an emotional roller coaster in the real world. This could just be me, but it's not how well the servers run that keeps me coming back. There are a lot of great people here, and I've had a lot of fun. I receive my 3 year ribbon in 5 days, and I'll be damned if lag or hit registry stops that from turning into a 4, then a 5, and so on and so forth.
Through all these years I've seen the servers crash countless times, but leadership is never too far away. Everything takes time, patience is a virtue, and if I know anything, leadership always pulls through.
 
Last edited:
I understand the box access issue. I have been 'that guy' in the past. I couldn't always get to it as fast as I wanted.

Just for lag perspective I will say that I play in the same city that the servers are located in with an extremely fast internet connection and experience no problems until the dreaded "Auto-disconnect in 30.0 seconds." Besides that they are smooth as can be for me with a 6-15 ping in most cases. Any server maintenance focus needs to be on what causes that hiccup I would think. Need someone looking at "task manager" during one of those spikes to see the cause.

The hit-boxes are a product of the tick rate. DoD:S and CS:S have the same issues in this regard.
 
I have only played once in the last two weeks. It's getting retarded. Including some admins that take things too serious and too far. The game is supposed to be fun and when you compound ridiculous server issues with dictator-esq management system.... just ugh.

And BTW:
here we go again....
That is always the most positive and productive response.
 
Last edited:
And BTW:
That is always the most positive and productive response.
He was talking about Kalt :P

Guys dont argue among ourselfs the plain facts is we are losing players and that is a major concern, the question is what can be done to keep our servers steady and lag free?
Thank you! I was reading the posts and was going to make one when I got home, but you said what I wanted to say <3 this threads not here to start fights :]

speaking on a personal level, when I see my internet connection over the last year, and look at just about anyone else's, and then see people complain about their lag issues, I laugh.

I'm okay with lagging systems and pings... I don't notice much differnce between 30-200 ping on our servers but I do notice the auto-disconnects and consistent spikes
 
Wow... big walls of text O.O...

All I can say is that Anzio is mostly lag free :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top