How is announcing a known terrorist is dead a political post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a political post because it involves the government. Peoples governmental beliefs are their own, and it would ignite an argument. People will always defend what they believe, true or not. I do think some rules should be laxed so that LIMITED intellectual discussions could happen. Arguing is fun though.

Being an "e" I may be out of line, I just thought it would help.
 
Last edited:
I don't think announcing that a terrorist is dead is political. It's when you begin discussing opinions, right and wrong, outcomes, etc., that it becomes political. It's like announcing that Obama is the president, the statement itself doesn't need to be censored, but when you begin discussing the presidency and all the political policies/decisions that it entails, that's when you begin to break eGO rules. That being said, posting in the shoutbox "Hey guys you hear Osama was killed?" and being met with "No political discussion" is a bit unneeded.

Being a "troll" I may be out of line, I just thought it would help.
 
It is a political post because it involves the government. Peoples governmental beliefs are their own, and it would ignite an argument. People will always defend what they believe, true or not. I do think some rules should be laxed so that LIMITED intellectual discussions could happen. Arguing is fun though.

Being an "e" I may be out of line, I just thought it would help.

Yeah, Gibso has the right idea here. Each person has different opinions and thoughts on the government and how any given country is run. When a user's opinion is crossed with another opinion of the opposite nature people may argue. The rules regarding discussing politics and other various subjects that people have opinions on are in place to prevent any arguments from breaking out between users. This is by far the safest approach to the issue. Preventing the discussion overall is a much more efficient process than dealing with the situations on a case-by-case basis.
 
I will add what I can about this situation. Since this known terrorist has been headlines since May 1st, anything related to international terrorism is considered a political topic. It is true that some issues are in what is known as the "gray area", meaning that they are always up for discussion by higher ranking members of eGO. Please understand that we are not trying to make you upset by possibly closing down a thread (that is if you did indeed create a thread about this recent topic), its just that its apart of the rules that we cannot post about anything related to politics mostly due to the fact that everyone has their own views on politics and it creates a flame war on the forums, which is the last thing we need.

We are here to have fun & as the top of the forums say, a "mature world gaming community". There are some people out there that like to start junk. We deal w/ them like we deal w/ punks on the Steam servers we play on, we ban them (based on the situation).

Finally, understand that I am a simple eGO member & there are other higher ranking members above me who can help clarify this situation more if needed. Also I will ask that other higher ranks please feel free to edit this post or let me know what to delete so as to respect the forums & not cause any strife. I hope this helps to clear up any confusion on the OP's question.
 
So would announcing any figure of note or notoriety be a political post?

Lets not let our P/C become so sensitive that all we talk about is vanilla ice cream or chocolate.

I'm a little disappointed that a story so huge seems like a taboo subject here. So all we can talk about is doom and nvidia and the like, but be scared to mention the biggest story to break in 10 years?

Are we really this sensitive as a group? Is this the official position?
 
This isn't the place for this kind of thread. If you have an issue with how an admin has handled a situation then you should be contacting leadership through the Drop Box. Public questioning of eGO rules is not allowed within our servers or our forums, and serves no purpose but to incite further trouble.

You shouldn't feel unable to challenge admin decisions (it's what keeps our admins honest), but it needs to be done in the proper way and in the correct venue. If you strongly feel that this rule has been wrongly enforced, then I suggest you take it up with leadership in the Drop Box.
 
Being a mature gaming community I would think entails a certain amount of civility and maturity and mutual respect towards others, particularly with opinions that differs from our own.

I guess this is a good policy to have if we were NOT a mature gaming group.
But considering all the flaming I see every where when it comes to GOP vs DNC etc. I guess I see the point.

Related point.
Standing in line today, I saw a guy that was 60 get carded buying beer.. I asked the cashier why, because I know as someone that used to be licensed by the ABC board that your only required to card people that look below 30, she says its a corporate thing, they don't trust our judgement, so we have to just card everyone. Not sure why this reminded me of that..
 
Being a mature gaming community I would think entails a certain amount of civility and maturity and mutual respect towards others, particularly with opinions that differs from our own.

I guess this is a good policy to have if we were NOT a mature gaming group.
But considering all the flaming I see every where when it comes to GOP vs DNC etc. I guess I see the point.

Related point.
Standing in line today, I saw a guy that was 60 get carded buying beer.. I asked the cashier why, because I know as someone that used to be licensed by the ABC board that your only required to card people that look below 30, she says its a corporate thing, they don't trust our judgement, so we have to just card everyone. Not sure why this reminded me of that..

Would you ever walk you dog without a leash? Even if it is the most faithful dog ever? It wouldn't be wise. In the odd chance he gets away, you would have to chase him down. With leash your assured compliance. My opinion may not reflect an eGO or anything.

Get rid of a problem before it starts.
 
Simple answer: the thread itself isn't political. The discussion that is bound to follow will be, and we don't need it here.

Don't believe me? Check the server chat logs from saturday. One guy starts, then everyone and their mother needs to add their opinion and the trolls come out. Not the good kind either.
 
That being said, posting in the shoutbox "Hey guys you hear Osama was killed?" and being met with "No political discussion" is a bit unneeded.


*this* exact thing happened when I said everyone should turn on the TV sunday night.








On the other side of the coin and speaking from a former leadership position here, the long standing reason behind no politics and no religious discussions have always been simple. Those two things ALWAYS come back to arguments. This is a gaming community, not a discussion for non gaming related matters, or a debate forum. There are websites for that, use those. This is a place for people who want to not deal with any of that crap and just play games and have fun.
 
I don't have an issue.

I asked a simple question.

Why is the biggest story to come up in 10 years taboo?

We do not allow pubs or members to question eGO rules or admin decision when in game. Similarly, we do not allow public questioning of rules or admin decisions in the forums. If you do not agree with a rule, or feel it should be questioned, then you should post such concerns (or "simple questions") in the Drop Box where it will be answered appropriately by leadership.
 
Last edited:
Simple answer: the thread itself isn't political. The discussion that is bound to follow will be, and we don't need it here.

Don't believe me? Check the server chat logs from saturday. One guy starts, then everyone and their mother needs to add their opinion and the trolls come out. Not the good kind either.

Thank you Cacophonus.

It may not start with politics, but it most likely will end. People have a wide variety of opinions and we don't need those opinions to clash on our forums. We are a gaming community guys, we don't need to bring those outside feelings on political topics in here.

If you truly want to discuss it - take it to Ventrilo and discuss it over the voice (keep it tame please...) or take it to steam.

If you have further questions on this topic, you are free to contact me on the forums or in ventrilo.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top