- Joined
- Dec 17, 2009
- Messages
- 1,084
Your telling me that if I shot you in the chest with a 9mm you wouldn't be phazed?
i never said it wouldnt phase you
stop trying to put words in my mouth
Your telling me that if I shot you in the chest with a 9mm you wouldn't be phazed?
i never said it wouldnt phase you
stop trying to put words in my mouth
Stormy is gonna hate me for saying this but i'd recommend a Glock 17 or Glock 19. Very reliable firearms and relativity cheap. Both are 9mmx19.
if its for home defence id pass up anything 9mm for a .45
9mms dont have enough stopping power
Before I go on I would like to mention my #1 pet peeve is the misuse of the term "clip." Below is an informative video detailing the difference between magazines and clips. In essence, clips go in magazines and magazines go in guns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmVJ1rXD9U
Already do, but Glocks are good guns it?s all personal preference.
You?re going to catch a lot of flak for opening the "stopping power" can.
Weapons and their respective calibers rely on one's needs and personal preference. The 9x19mm Parabellum cartridges have been used by law enforcement and the military for years (its track record speaks volumes). Their light recoil, low cost, combined with high-capacity magazines make it a great all around cartridge. If you get a decent home defense round like Federal Hydrashock or Hornady TAP 9mm rounds can perform extremely well against soft targets. 45ACP is a large round but considerably slower. When a bullet impacts and travels through soft targets there are three principles you should be aware of:
1. Fragmentation- the characteristics of the bullet that either promote or dissuade a round breaking into smaller pieces it contacts the target.
2. Permanent cavitation- The actual hole the round leaves in the target.
3. Temporary cavitation- The temporary cavity formed by the force of the bullet as opposed to the permanent cavity made by the actual bullet. Temporary cavitation causes damage to soft tissue, nerves, and blood vessels.
Another major point to consider is a weapon's accuracy. This is in tandem with the weapon's caliber. 9mm has very little recoil allowing for great accuracy and quicker follow up shots. 45ACP has considerably more recoil especially in lighter synthetic firearms. Oh, and if you live with other people in the house or in an apartment you should always consider a round?s penetration. What I?m trying to say is that ?stopping power? isn?t everything and the ability to hit the target (and avoiding accidental casualties) is the most important goal.
In short-- personal preference.
Oh and if you need to get schooled in anything gun related find me, DigitalDJ, or KillerxDebo when we are in the same room.
My pea-shooter
Davis Industries .380
![]()
Another major point to consider is a weapon's accuracy. This is in tandem with the weapon's caliber. 9mm has very little recoil allowing for great accuracy and quicker follow up shots. 45ACP has considerably more recoil especially in lighter synthetic firearms. Oh, and if you live with other people in the house or in an apartment you should always consider a round?s penetration. What I?m trying to say is that ?stopping power? isn?t everything and the ability to hit the target (and avoiding accidental casualties) is the most important goal.
Even ignoring the "stopping power" can of worms, I'd have to second the .45 suggestion for this reason - I'm no ballistics expert, but I'm pretty sure they have more oomph but less penetration, which is great for home defense.
That said, I can see the point of smaller-caliber, lighter-weight weapons for guns that are actually gonna be carried a lot, although with a good shoulder holster and long sleeves a 1911 shouldn't be that hard to conceal & carry for most people. Honestly, it seems to me the whole carrying discussion is usually taken too far - in an emergency situation which requires drawing a gun, you're not gonna be going shot-for-shot with a criminal to see who can stay up the longest ("Your turn, Al! Aw, my Glock isn't a 1-hit headshot!"), so pretty much anything easy to access is quite capable of keeping you alive.
You mean a Smith & Wesson Model 29 to be exact. I had the same dream, so I bought one.Ive always wanted a .44 Magnum so I could be Dirty Harry.
