Modern Game Journalism The Movie The Trailer

It'd be funny it it wasn't so true. Anyone else remember the 1UP Crysis review by Shawn "Why So Low" Elliott? Or how Jeff Gerstmann was fired from GameSpot after giving Kane & Lynch too low a score?

The whole industry is in bed with one another.
 
It'd be funny it it wasn't so true. Anyone else remember the 1UP Crysis review by Shawn "Why So Low" Elliott? Or how Jeff Gerstmann was fired from GameSpot after giving Kane & Lynch too low a score?

The whole industry is in bed with one another.

Game scores are an abstract and meaningless number, especially when you factor in Score inflation. Frankly if you're not actually reading reviews for your $50-$60 investment...then you deserve whatever experience you get.
 
Game scores are an abstract and meaningless number, especially when you factor in Score inflation. Frankly if you're not actually reading reviews for your $50-$60 investment...then you deserve whatever experience you get.

I'm not really sure how to respond to that, as I think we're saying the same thing. I'm all for reading reviews on products. Especially consumer reviews from those I trust.

My point is that there should be less pressure on journalists to give a game a good review simply because of the advertising dollars the game's publisher has spent on the website. It undermines the credibility of the entire system, especially given how blatant these practices have sometimes been (e.g. firing of Gerstmann).
 

Latest posts

Back
Top