Favorite Weapon and Why

You're so mean to me! D;

don't take it personally. i just love doing that to you. :P

btw i don't think YER is an amazing weapon. just can't beat the reliability of the default balisong. (and it's reskin: the Sharp Dresser) it's a weapon that seriously depends on getting that first backstab, and it relies heavily on using cloak. (since you can't use a disguise kit, your cloak becomes your only option for stealthing around. this is why l'etranger makes for a great utility tool when paired with this weapon. it essentially turns firepower into fleeing power.) in addition, i like to think of YER as only the chainstabbing knife. not the knife that can rapidly disguise you or make you stealthy, because even if you do stab someone, you can be sure that he/she will be calling out that there's a spy among their teammates.

Your usual spy setup is terrible in any case.

YER when paired with the Diamondback can make for a pretty interesting combo. you can get away with destruction from your sapper much more easily, meaning more stored crits. however, the diamondback is such an unreliable weapon anyway, that once you get the crits, you can't do much with them. you'll be focused on getting away. (maybe that's just me. my playstyle is to pick up the fallen building pieces for cloak and make an escape that way. the Diamondback makes for great cover fire when retreating after the successful destruction of an engie encampment.) in addition, the Diamondback is easily outclassed by the Ambassador which has the exact same nerf, but the benefit is much more reliable. (given that you can reliably get headshots, but we all know how your aim turns out.)

The Dead Ringer wasn't a bad choice in your arsenal, but it's not very reliable given the other weapons that you pair it with. the DR suffers from not being able to fully charge it's meter in an ammo pickup, and you're using the YER which relies heavily on cloak. DR is terrible at maintaining cloak constantly.

The DR seems like a good idea to pair with the Diamondback. After a successful sap, you can just Dead Ring away and keep all your crits, saving them for later. but given the fact that you're using YER and the DR, you're not gonna have anything to get away with afterwards, leaving you stuck with no disguise (if you lost it) and no cloak (or way to get the cloak fast like the l'etranger or the big earner can) so you lose the crits anyway.

I'm not saying that your setup is bad.

If you can reliably use it without fail or problems, then by all means use it. I'm just saying that your setup is easily outclassed by many other setups and that your setup isn't really reliable.
 
Last edited:
don't take it personally. i just love doing that to you. :P

btw i don't think YER is an amazing weapon. just can't beat the reliability of the default balisong. (and it's reskin: the Sharp Dresser) it's a weapon that seriously depends on getting that first backstab, and it relies heavily on using cloak. (since you can't use a disguise kit, your cloak becomes your only option for stealthing around. this is why l'etranger makes for a great utility tool when paired with this weapon. it essentially turns firepower into fleeing power.) in addition, i like to think of YER as only the chainstabbing knife. not the knife that can rapidly disguise you or make you stealthy, because even if you do stab someone, you can be sure that he/she will be calling out that there's a spy among their teammates.

Your usual spy setup is terrible in any case.

YER when paired with the Diamondback can make for a pretty interesting combo. you can get away with destruction from your sapper much more easily, meaning more stored crits. however, the diamondback is such an unreliable weapon anyway, that once you get the crits, you can't do much with them. you'll be focused on getting away. (maybe that's just me. my playstyle is to pick up the fallen building pieces for cloak and make an escape that way. the Diamondback makes for great cover fire when retreating after the successful destruction of an engie encampment.) in addition, the Diamondback is easily outclassed by the Ambassador which has the exact same nerf, but the benefit is much more reliable. (given that you can reliably get headshots, but we all know how your aim turns out.)

The Dead Ringer wasn't a bad choice in your arsenal, but it's not very reliable given the other weapons that you pair it with. the DR suffers from not being able to fully charge it's meter in an ammo pickup, and you're using the YER which relies heavily on cloak. DR is terrible at maintaining cloak constantly.

The DR seems like a good idea to pair with the Diamondback. After a successful sap, you can just Dead Ring away and keep all your crits, saving them for later. but given the fact that you're using YER and the DR, you're not gonna have anything to get away with afterwards, leaving you stuck with no disguise (if you lost it) and no cloak (or way to get the cloak fast like the l'etranger or the big earner can) so you lose the crits anyway.

I'm not saying that your setup is bad.

If you can reliably use it without fail or problems, then by all means use it. I'm just saying that your setup is easily outclassed by many other setups and that your setup isn't really reliable.

If I took everything you said personally, I don't think I'd be coming back here. XD

And you make very good points. Many very good points.

I probably should try using the default knife more. I never did use it much. It was only after I got YER that I actually started to play Spy. Using the disguise kit is actually something I don't like, because I'm almost always found out right away! I guess I should take acting lessons. Haha.

Also, what I like so much about the YER is if I can find an Engineer all alone at his sentry, I just have to stab him and sap ( and it's even better when they're wrangling). No worries about un-disguising and being killed by the sentry, and no more Engineer to un-sap my sapper. :D

But yes, you're right, I should try to work with another setup. My usual setup (Revolver + YER + DR) did work quite well in other servers where teams failed to communicate. But once you throw communication in there, I usually do have to lay low for a while, but even then, someone will most likely spy-check me.

And maybe I'll work on my aim... Maybe.
 
What I think you meant the Dead Ringer or the Enforcer.

The Dead ringer is not OP, the enforcer on the other hand is. I love how mad people get with my set up, calling me a noob spy for it. Easiest spy set up is the saharan spy complete set, its literally like playing spy on easy mode.

don't take it personally. i just love doing that to you. :P

btw i don't think YER is an amazing weapon...Blah Blah Blah.


I wouldnt listen to this much lol, I can make Gozgallz rage with the YER + Fez + l'etranger ;)
 
Last edited:
If I took everything you said personally, I don't think I'd be coming back here. XD

And you make very good points. Many very good points.

I probably should try using the default knife more. I never did use it much. It was only after I got YER that I actually started to play Spy. Using the disguise kit is actually something I don't like, because I'm almost always found out right away! I guess I should take acting lessons. Haha.

Also, what I like so much about the YER is if I can find an Engineer all alone at his sentry, I just have to stab him and sap ( and it's even better when they're wrangling). No worries about un-disguising and being killed by the sentry, and no more Engineer to un-sap my sapper. :D

But yes, you're right, I should try to work with another setup. My usual setup (Revolver + YER + DR) did work quite well in other servers where teams failed to communicate. But once you throw communication in there, I usually do have to lay low for a while, but even then, someone will most likely spy-check me.

And maybe I'll work on my aim... Maybe.

Well, a good tip with disguises is that you should pick the one that makes sense. (Example: Don't disguise as a sniper when you're on the frontlines. That makes no sense at all.) You're also gonna want to disguise so it looks like you're holding the weapon they're using. You can do this by using a diff. weapon and pressing B while you're using that weapon. (If you understand what I mean. If you're disguised as a demoknight wearing the booties, then why would you be disguised as using a grenade launcher?)

Never disguise as scout. Please NEVER disguise as scout. Spies can't match their speed at all.

Disguising as another spy isn't really a good idea either since most teammates shoot any spy they see, regardless of which team they're on.

Pyro is a good disguise. You don't lose your speed at all, and they can pretty much be found anywhere.

If you're going to use the Dead Ringer, make sure your death looks like someone else died. (only when using it to infiltrate) Disguise as your teammates, then arm the DR.

Don't rely on disguise too much. Your disguise is mainly to protect you from being blasted immediately by the enemy, or by sentries. It's also meant to fake out enemies who will only catch a glimpse of you. It will not fool people for long. You generally want to stay away from the enemy, and if they catch a glimpse of you, make sure you escape immediately lest they spy-check you. Also change disguise when the situation calls for it. (This is why YER is so good at stealth. You rapidly change disguises instantly so people are never sure which class you're disguised as.)

Also, you can still stab+sap with any other knife. YER just makes it super easy to do so, because now you don't have to stab the engineer, sap immediately and then make your escape amidst the chaos. YER allows you to do it stealthily, and make your escape just as stealthily. (Be aware, that there is still voice chat and team chat. The enemy engineer is most likely to call you out while you're escaping, so lay low for awhile.) In addition, YER has no risk involved with stabbing the engineer, since you don't have to sap the sentry just before it turns anymore. The only risk involved is if you miss your swing and lose the disguise.

Don't use the DR with YER unless you have the Saharan Spy set.

Cloak is needed to get away all the freaking time when you're using YER. DR is terrible at getting cloak quickly, not to mention that you won't be able to escape very far due to its short cloak time and its loud decloak noise. L'etranger should help with getting DR cloak faster, and the decloak becomes as quiet as the default watch when you have the full set, ensuring an easy escape or a good stab.

Lastly, work on your aim damn it.

I wouldnt listen to this much lol, I can make Gozgallz rage with the YER + Fez + l'etranger ;)

go-away-noob.jpg
 
Last edited:
Ok lets break this up a bit here.

Well, a good tip with disguises is that you should pick the one that makes sense. (Example: Don't disguise as a sniper when you're on the frontlines. That makes no sense at all.) You're also gonna want to disguise so it looks like you're holding the weapon they're using. You can do this by using a diff. weapon and pressing B while you're using that weapon. (If you understand what I mean. If you're disguised as a demoknight wearing the booties, then why would you be disguised as using a grenade launcher?0

DUH...

Never disguise as scout. Please NEVER disguise as scout. Spies can't match their speed at all.

Dont listen to this, I actually get away with a lot of kills doing this. As well as disguising as a medic.

Disguising as another spy isn't really a good idea either since most teammates shoot any spy they see, regardless of which team they're on.

more bad info here...

Pyro is a good disguise. You don't lose your speed at all, and they can pretty much be found anywhere.

this is ok.

If you're going to use the Dead Ringer, make sure your death looks like someone else died. (only when using it to infiltrate) Disguise as your teammates, then arm the DR.

DR can used to infiltrate but best as a tool to escape. It is used to get away once you are found out, you get your kills and run with DR.


Don't rely on disguise too much. Your disguise is mainly to protect you from being blasted immediately by the enemy, or by sentries. It's also meant to fake out enemies who will only catch a glimpse of you. It will not fool people for long. You generally want to stay away from the enemy, and if they catch a glimpse of you, make sure you escape immediately lest they spy-check you.

Dont always run, the best spy will take a few hits and not take notice. This gives you more of an appearance that you are on the same team. I do this a lot when heavies are shooting me, I stand still and dont notice and they stop and run in front of me which gets free kill.

Also change disguise when the situation calls for it. (This is why YER is so good at stealth. You rapidly change disguises instantly so people are never sure which class you're disguised as.)

Blah..

Also, you can still stab+sap with any other knife. YER just makes it super easy to do so, because now you don't have to stab the engineer, sap immediately and then make your escape amidst the chaos. YER allows you to do it stealthily, and make your escape just as stealthily. (Be aware, that there is still voice chat and team chat. The enemy engineer is most likely to call you out while you're escaping, so lay low for awhile.) In addition, YER has no risk involved with stabbing the engineer, since you don't have to sap the sentry just before it turns anymore. The only risk involved is if you miss your swing and lose the disguise.

Duh...

Don't use the DR with YER unless you have the Saharan Spy set.

You still can, but wont be as effective.

Cloak is needed to get away all the freaking time when you're using YER. DR is terrible at getting cloak quickly, not to mention that you won't be able to escape very far due to its short cloak time and its loud decloak noise. L'etranger should help with getting DR cloak faster, and the decloak becomes as quiet as the default watch when you have the full set, ensuring an easy escape or a good stab.

Not if your a C&D spy. You can be a good spy no matter what watch you use, just takes practice.


Lastly, work on your aim damn it.

Use enforcer...1 hit and most turn and run from you or pray they hit you with a krit.


double-facepalm.jpg
 
Last edited:
Finally got around to reading all that the spy advice/tips I was given.

I'll keep these in mind next time I play as spy.

Thanks Goz and Frisky. :D
 

Latest posts

Back
Top