First of all: XP > Vista
Secondly, if it's for gaming, Mac isn't even an option unless you're going for dual-boot scenario, in which case I'd still go with windows because if it's for gaming, you're going to want to upgrade, and that's 1000x easier with a windows machine, since Apple likes to own your soul when it comes to hardware.
Uhh, Xp will go out of business later, cause some games will be needing DirectX10, I'd rather go for vista, Because:
Pros
1.You can custom build your PC, unlike Mac.
2.Its gonna be the main system in the future.
3.New interface/GUI. (If you like eye candy XP).
4.All the games will be coming out for Both XP/Vista
5.Its a gaming computer/business computer.
Cons
1.ITS EFFING SLOW IF YOU USE UP ALOT OF CPU/RAM!
2.Stupid protection system >.>.
3.Requires more RAM for some games.
4.Burns your eyes if you don't like HDR blindness.
5.Both XP/Vista has alot of virus.
T3h mac.
1.NO to less virus

.
2.Sometime the widgets are awesome.
3.It doesn't crash alot.
4.If you buy the notebook (NOT A GAMING SYSTEM), comes with a built-in Isight.
5. The dock

.
6. BOOTCAMP FTW (Do I have to say more?)
7. No system allow/cancel
Cons.
1.You can't build your own...
2.Sometime, needs a good spec to play some games.
3.Dang, sometime I wish I would kill the mac notebook for crashing on me at times >.>.
4. Widgets are slow to load at start-up.
5. Crashes at sometimes.
6. Doesn't support internet explorer (I hate it anyways, bad news for you IE fans), and it uses Firefox and safari, I doubt opera though.
7. Makes your wanna kill yourself if your doing some paper work on this thing and it comes up in a crash window.
8. Not a gaming computer (for
some Mac PCs).