I finally jumped from my many-years old P4 3GHz to the i7 920. I bought it customized from Cyberpower PC, one of our sponsors. Much much much better. Amazingly better. I got it for about the same price I could build it, maybe a bit cheaper including shipping. Here's what I got:
CPU: i7 920 w/ Vigor Monsoon III cooler
6 GB DDR3 1333 RAM Corsair
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P MB
ATI 4870 1GB Video
Vista Home Prem 64 (not impressed, will be upgrading to Win 7)
Generic 1000W PSU
Free HALO 2 and FarCry 2
Free T-shirt and laptop case
I also bought separate a 22" Acer monitor for $150.
Apparently, there is a flicker problem with the ATI 4870 vid card. You have to reduce the mem speed from 925 to 900 to get rid of it.
Otherwise, very nice rig for a very good price. It does take a little while for them to build it tho, but less than a week. This is a good alternative for those who know how to build a comp (like me) but don't want to go thru the motions (again, like me).
CPU: i7 920 w/ Vigor Monsoon III cooler
6 GB DDR3 1333 RAM Corsair
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P MB
ATI 4870 1GB Video
Vista Home Prem 64 (not impressed, will be upgrading to Win 7)
Generic 1000W PSU
Free HALO 2 and FarCry 2
Free T-shirt and laptop case
I also bought separate a 22" Acer monitor for $150.
Apparently, there is a flicker problem with the ATI 4870 vid card. You have to reduce the mem speed from 925 to 900 to get rid of it.
Otherwise, very nice rig for a very good price. It does take a little while for them to build it tho, but less than a week. This is a good alternative for those who know how to build a comp (like me) but don't want to go thru the motions (again, like me).
Last edited:






















