Crazy Pings At Night...

Original.Neclipse

I made one post
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
6
I dont have this problem on any other server, but after 8:30 at night or so, on the eGO 2fort server my ping goes from averaging around 70 to 180, anyone have any suggestions or...anything :D
 
I believe its just that time of night has a lot, maybe even the most, internet usage/travel and that causes high pings.
 
depends on your provider...for instance if you have cable internet, theres probably more people online in your area (since cable is basically a shared connection) the more online the slower your internet.
tho if you have DSL (dedicated service line) you should be good to go...
 
thanks for the move, i didnt see tech support, im not very experience on these forums
__

but i know it is not my service provider because my ping stays the same on every other server except ones hosted by eGO :\
 
Do you have a wireless router? I would assume the speed would increase, not decrease at night, because less users would be on the internet in your area.

If you DO have a wireless router, one of your neighbors might be stealing your internet.
 
Existence: night is peak usage almost always
1) Thats when all the adults and kids are off of school + work.
2) Thats when adults need to catch up on their shows, which generally involves HD streaming
3) Thats when pirates turn on their MAXIMAL DOWNLOADIN TORRENTS and go to bed. Which sucks up a lot of upload AND download bandwidth from the ISP.

I'm assuming we're talking like 6-12, not like 3 in the morning or something obscure like that.

The largest thing that'll increase your ping is generally a problem on your internal network though (someone eating bandwidth) ... but there is another thing you must keep in mind, the /entire server complex/ could be getting bogged down at night. Just look at the graph on the right of "current players", notice how it skyrockets as it gets later? (it was 400 while I was in school now its like 600) ... imagine that graph for an entire data center worth of people playing CS:S!
 
yeah i suppose so, but i'm the only one in the servers (or at least the ones i've been playing, again i only experience this on eGO servers) who gets THIS MUCH of a ping increase, and no i do not run on a wireless router nor is me or anyone in my house downloading tons of stuff
 
Ping is how fast you are getting your info to the server and how fast it is being relied on your screen.
Ping should not change because of the time of day.
The only thing that would work is that if you are downloading or having background applications (relating to the internet) running.
Close them all down it should level out.
 
i know this too..nothing really changed at all between day and night except my ping on eGO servers, I am aware on how pings work and how you can mess up your ping, but i can't see any reason for this happening, its not like i move or something between day and night
 
depends on your provider...for instance if you have cable internet, theres probably more people online in your area (since cable is basically a shared connection) the more online the slower your internet.
tho if you have DSL (dedicated service line) you should be good to go...

not quite! ADSL stands for Assymetric Digital Subscriber Line. and even if you do have a dedicated line to your house, you'll never get the full potential you're promised, since the bandwidth you're given is shared amongst all the subscribers of your ISP. So what you said about cable still stands Junk! Unless it's a very generous ISP (i have yet to find one:P) which actually gives you exactly what they promise.

I dont have this problem on any other server, but after 8:30 at night or so, on the eGO 2fort server my ping goes from averaging around 70 to 180, anyone have any suggestions or...anything :D

I would guess that what Junk and a couple of other guys said is the problem, heavy usage by your ISP's subscribers is causing you to receive a smaller fraction of your ISP's total bandwidth. Unless this is absolutely only on that particular server, in which case I'm clueless:P except if the aforementioned problem is affecting the box that holds that server!
 
Stevontoast thats not what ping is necessarily, ping is a networking term, you're talking about choke and loss which are specific to multiplayer games. (They are measured in terms of /frames/ dropped)

Ping is the time it takes to send one packet of a uniform length from your computer, to the server, and for the server to acknowledge that packet and send it back. Ping doesn't have anything to do with how fast information is relayed to your screen, thats completely up to how fast your computer can handle the data received (if it /can't/ handle it, you get loss and choke, as I said before)

Also, I'd say if its only on the eGO servers, its just possible that eGOs host gets bogged down at night [which can happen] and that because of where your located, and various other factors (such as how your ISP prioritizes traffic ;p in the case of evil ISPs like comcast) your ping spikes at night.
 
Ping is the time it takes to send one packet of a uniform length from your computer, to the server, and for the server to acknowledge that packet and send it back. Ping doesn't have anything to do with how fast information is relayed to your screen, thats completely up to how fast your computer can handle the data received (if it /can't/ handle it, you get loss and choke, as I said before)

That is basically what I meant
I'm not stupid you know
By relayed back to your screen I'm talking about the action to happen, for the gunshot to registor.
Loads of different pings could cause it too you know
Since we have around 32 on a server at once they're rare around 30 different ISPs all at once ^__^
 

Latest posts

Back
Top