Is crossfire worth it?

Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
77
Im planing on building a gaming computer when i can afford it. Im using a 19 inch monitor that runs at 1440X900 (Though I might get a 25 inch). Is it worth building a machine with Crossfire or SLI?
 
Nope unless you want to achieve Crysis running @ 1920x1200 with maxed out settings.

The Radeon 4870 or 4870x2 or Nvidia GTX 260/280/295 work just fine for every game out there at 1920x1200 resolution with maxed out settings cept maybe Crysis.
 
it all depends on what games you will be running, and if you pick up that 25" monitor. If your running more high end games, like crysis for example, and you want it at full resolution of the 25", yes its worth it. But if you are just worried about playing DoD on your 19" monitor, one card will do you just fine.
 
I disagree.

Get the mother board that can handle sli/cross fire. What's the additional cost? Trival?

You only HAVE to get one card now. You don't need two of the high end cards.

Then, in a year or two, when you ARE trying to play games that your system is having trouble running, THEN you pick up a duplicate card (for a mere fraction of it's current price) and drop it in...
 
Ehhhh... depends on what your using it for... an extreme enthusiast running Crysis at the highest resolution with 16x AA, its needed... but to be honest its not. One card should do you fine
 
Nope unless you want to achieve Crysis running @ 1920x1200 with maxed out settings.

The Radeon 4870 or 4870x2 or Nvidia GTX 260/280/295 work just fine for every game out there at 1920x1200 resolution with maxed out settings cept maybe Crysis.

Well, technically the X2 cards are Crossfire, even though they're still only use one PCIe slot.
 
Well, technically the X2 cards are Crossfire, even though they're still only use one PCIe slot.

Those are just two cores placed on one PCB, or the like GTX295 2PCB's in one card. Just because they wanted a competitor for the 4870x2
 
I want to be able to play any game I get at max resolution with good settings. But I dont want to waste money if I end up sticking with my 19 inch.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top