Valve Releases .vmf files for Official TF2 Maps

Deadly Bunny

Poster
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
135
Today we're releasing an update to the Source SDK that includes the .vmf source files for many of the official TF2 maps. This is something we've wanted to do for a while, especially as we've been growing the range of game modes in TF. Here's the list of maps that are included in the update: Lumberyard, Ravine, Badlands, Dustbowl, Granary, Gravelpit, 2Fort, Badwater, Goldrush, and Hydro.

For the beginner map makers out there, we hope this gives you an easier entry point by allowing you to alter or edit an existing map, as opposed to being forced to start from scratch. For example, you could start by fine-tuning cover in Goldrush, alter the layout of Granary, or tweak the amount of health and ammo in Gravelpit. Or maybe you just have a ton of ideas on how you think you could improve Hydro or 2Fort. We'd love to see what you come up with.

For the experienced map makers, we hope this gives you a variety of examples of how we design and construct levels, the tools we use to finish the aesthetic/thematic elements, and some specific implementation solutions to performance and networking problems. We also hope that it'll reduce the amount of confusion around the game logic and entity setup required for the various TF game modes.

Our plan is to get more of our TF content source out in the SDK, so look for more maps & model sources in the future.


I had to refresh the SDK files to get them to show up.
 
Last edited:
I was soooo stoked when I read this. I've been waiting to start editing in TF2 and just been sticking to Crysis and Unreal. This however makes me sooo happy. I'm gonna start once I get home to my PC.
 
Oh jeez... Now I know there's gonna be at least 10 remakes of 2fort and how to make it "better" stuck up on FPSB. *le sigh*

I'll give a cookie to the first person who retextures/remodels it all to alpine (sawmill) theme :)

(Joke, but I would like to see the results anyways xD)
 
Oh jeez... Now I know there's gonna be at least 10 remakes of 2fort and how to make it "better" stuck up on FPSB. *le sigh*

I'll give a cookie to the first person who retextures/remodels it all to alpine (sawmill) theme :)

(Joke, but I would like to see the results anyways xD)


I kinda wanna make a 4Fort... Each side has two forts to defend... it would be interesting... def. need full players for it though.
 
On another forum the amount of sarcasm about how FPSB is gonna get spammed, and how people will try to make maps "better" will be lol-able. Valve did perfect on their maps, no map can be perfect and I think people will try to make:

pl_cp_ctf_plr_tc_arena_allvalvemapsinone
 
A change to Hydro would be nice. Perhaps making it a huge territory control map kind of like Canal Zone from back in the original TF days.

Many small teams working to capture all the points. The final points locked until all the middle control points are captured.
 
Too bad I'm a noob when it comes to editing maps. I may decide to learn one day, and if I do this'll be great. Thanks!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top