Warning regarding idling programs!

CheeseGamer

Poster
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
156
Hey all, just came back from a great day to find my steam account was hacked. Knowing that I never click on any links via steam (no, I will not join your steam group at notanobvioussteamscam.tk/phishing) and have both a hardwired and a software firewall, the only thing that's even remotely very likely to have hijacked my account is the idling program by SourceOP. (yeah, I know, figures.)

DO NOT USE THESE IDLING PROGRAMS. I used them to save on power rather than keeping TF2 on (in hopes of getting hats :/), and now I regret it. This may be a thing to save a few bucks on power every year that just cost me ~$150 in games, and way, way more time in played.

Also, do not accept any links etc. from my account--I don't think that's a problem though, as I have been informed that I changed my name and defriended everyone on my friends list.

TL;DR version: BE AWARE OF THE RISK OF IDLING PROGRAMS IF YOU LIKE YOUR STEAM ACCOUNT.

Back to submitting a ticket... sigh...
 
I'll guarantee you it was not the idle program. I know Drunken F00l, and he's a pretty good guy. Plus there's over 2000 idlers, and none of them have reported getting their accounts stolen.
 
It almost sounds like a keylogger was ran on your PC. I don't think it was the SourceOP thing to be honest...
 
I, personally, shy away from doing anything the fake way :D

I idled on achievement_idle and set my private server to achievement_idle! And then I idled in it! It was my way of letting Valve know I don't approve. Kinda like sitting in front of a bulldozer thing, instead of trying to trick the bulldozer driver into not coming to work with prank calls...

Good luck, sir! Steam is a fine program until such time as Valve has decided that your account is hacked, for whatever reason.
 
Sorry, but I really doubt it was the idle program. Unless you downloaded a fake link.
 
Several antivirus scans later... and nothing on my computer is 'infected.' However, I have been informed that anything screwing with my Steam account in that sense would not be picked up by an AV program. I'll see if I can possibly get someone who knows what they're doing to decompile it and take a peek at the insides.

EDIT: And yeah, I got it from Ze Offishul Website.
 
I've used the idle program by DrunkenF00l a lot, and by the looks of it so do 2000+ other peeps, and you'd think by now it would have been reported if it was indeed, a scam.
Whatever got your account, it was not that program.
Good luck getting it back, hope to see you on soon.
 
I, personally, shy away from doing anything the fake way :D

I idled on achievement_idle and set my private server to achievement_idle! And then I idled in it! It was my way of letting Valve know I don't approve. Kinda like sitting in front of a bulldozer thing, instead of trying to trick the bulldozer driver into not coming to work with prank calls...

Good luck, sir! Steam is a fine program until such time as Valve has decided that your account is hacked, for whatever reason.

See, that's what I did! Why use a program for that? Just turn it on while you sleep!
 
Using the fake idle program and spectating in an actual server are the same thing... one just uses fewer resources. During the day when I'm doing other stuff I don't have to worry about accidently clicking the TF2 tab and having to minimize it again. The fake idling program also deletes duplicates for you and you can quickly see what items you got. And as the above people have said, tons of people have used it without any reports of their account being stolen.
 
I used the source op program and i didnt get hacked. i did restore my hardrive a few days later due to a power outage.
 
Ive been using the sourceOP program a lot lately and have had no problem and nothing fishy happen at all
 
Yeah I scanned it with a very savvy Internet security programme (F-Secure) and it's clean. Also there are normally at least 2000 people using it at any time. Your problem may have been that someone found your details of another website acount somewhere and tried the password on steam, of course, that can't work if they are different.

Also, I got my pyro beanie in the arena server, so I recommend you all hang out there.
 
Really? I got my Beanie in the Arena server as well!

The server is haunted, this thread is now about Ghostbusters.
url
 
The server is haunted, this thread is now about Ghostbusters.
url

Beanie Busteeers!

When there's something straange mumbling in your fave servooor, who you gonna caaall? BEANIE BUSTEERS!
 
Yeah, I don't think it could be the idling program. It couldn't have been SourceOP it has to have been what beaver said.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top