Custom Map server?

Caesar

Poster
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
152
Do we or is there any interest in a custom map server for eGO?

i.e. maps like y2_yard, mario_air, dod_simpsons... etc

Along those lines?
 
I'm so addicted to y2_yard, or is it y2_nuke?

Meh, anyway, I could play that map ALL day!
 
Oh dear.

To make a very long story (feel free to search the forums, use search term: "kustom kettle") eGO had a custom map server for almost an entire year, and it closed around this time actually, one year ago. The server, throughout that entire period of time, was not anywhere near as successful as the other 24/7 servers. In fact, when comparing the two, the custom server was a complete failure.

Thus, I would venture to say that any further attempts at a custom map server are unlikely. And don't take this the wrong way, I personally.. would love one. I was actually the system administrator for both the eGO custom map server, and the eGO orange map server. But... I'm also realistic. As much as I would like it, the community here clearly doesn't have the numbers to support it.

Now, before dozens of you again come and say "but I would play!", I encourage you to look at the DoD stats page. You will see that the vast majority of the top players (just looking at page 1) spend nearly 100% of their playing time on one, or two maps. That's it. And so the problem we faced with the custom server was that people refused to populate it. Usually with phrases like "but I'm good at Donner, I don't want to learn a whole new map" ... over and over again.

Sad, but reality.
 
Lets not forget! eGO was not as popular or as huge as it is now.. many of these ideas that failed long ago, will most not do as bad.. i say we give a try some of these old ideas once more. haha
 
Do we or is there any interest in a custom map server for eGO?

, mario_air, dod_simpsons... etc

Along those lines?

we have those maps on the sniper server, you just have to get an DL to switch to them.
 
While eGO may be bigger now, DoD, and even the DoD division here, actually is not. eGO is bigger because of added membership from TF2, CS, etc. The DoD player numbers are about the same really... in fact, a little lower even than before.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top