Whats up with TF2 division..

I don't know how long you have been here but.....

Dustbowl was one of our highest ranked and competitive servers, unfortunate it was usually dominated by pubs, with all kinds of changes, servers, IP, stats reset, it lost a great amount of pubs, it still hasn't recovered from it (atleast not in my timezone)
 
IP changes mean that the normal pubbers, can't find the server. After awhile, they give up and move on. To the person saying that they get 200 ping and runs their own server, when you play, turn off the server :). Or give the server to ego!!!
 
Server IP changes have been a bummer. And I know a few people that have stopped playing on our servers because their favorite map has been moved to the Verizon Servers - which cause a bit more of lag/high ping.
 
As most of you guys have already said, classes has once again started up and I have very limited time on the computer now.

Upon reflection, too me, high school was pretty much a joke. ;P I flew by those years so quickly and easily, I had no worries about my marks. You see, when you go to university, you'll realize that it's a huge jump in terms of work and speed. No longer are there handouts, teacher-student interaction, or anything other than the teacher standing up front for an hour while you (attempt to) quickly scribble everything the he/she says.

Back in high school, you could have teachers constantly remind (or hound) you about tests and assignments, but now it will all be listed in a syllabus professors hand out on the first day. It will be your own responsiblity to note those important dates and prepare for them. University is a lot more flexible, but a whole lot more responsibility. Which is the main reason why I rarely have time to browse the forums, let alone play video games. Readings from each course is pretty much required everyday - from textbooks you bought and courses you paid for.

Whereas back in high school I didn't have to manage any of my time, nothing was overwhelming and a lot of my time could go into gaming, extra cirriculars and heading out with friends. So for the reasons above (along with working 20 hours a week), that is why my steam rating is currently sitting at 0 with no hours for the past 2 weeks.
 
As most of you guys have already said, classes has once again started up and I have very limited time on the computer now.

Upon reflection, too me, high school was pretty much a joke. ;P I flew by those years so quickly and easily, I had no worries about my marks. You see, when you go to university, you'll realize that it's a huge jump in terms of work and speed. No longer are there handouts, teacher-student interaction, or anything other than the teacher standing up front for an hour while you (attempt to) quickly scribble everything the he/she says.

Back in high school, you could have teachers constantly remind (or hound) you about tests and assignments, but now it will all be listed in a syllabus professors hand out on the first day. It will be your own responsiblity to note those important dates and prepare for them. University is a lot more flexible, but a whole lot more responsibility. Which is the main reason why I rarely have time to browse the forums, let alone play video games. Readings from each course is pretty much required everyday - from textbooks you bought and courses you paid for.

Whereas back in high school I didn't have to manage any of my time, nothing was overwhelming and a lot of my time could go into gaming, extra cirriculars and heading out with friends. So for the reasons above (along with working 20 hours a week), that is why my steam rating is currently sitting at 0 with no hours for the past 2 weeks.

Really? I found college to be much, much more leisurely than high school. I found myself with craploads more free time and my classes were generally easier than high school.

But I did a lot of extracurriculars and most of classes in the second half of my high school career were AP classes, so that may be why.
 
I don't know how long you have been here but.....

Dustbowl was one of our highest ranked and competitive servers, unfortunate it was usually dominated by pubs, with all kinds of changes, servers, IP, stats reset, it lost a great amount of pubs, it still hasn't recovered from it (atleast not in my timezone)

Ive been here a while, believe it or not. Notice the lovely 1 Year membership award below my avatar. However, i may as well be a new recruit, due to a long period of inactivity.

I will take your word that Dustbowl was a great server at one time. The problem is, its dead now. I believe that if our Dustbowl server was reassigned to something more interesting and balanced (*cough* ctf_convoy *cough*) it would start showing signs of life again.
 
Server IP changes have been a bummer. And I know a few people that have stopped playing on our servers because their favorite map has been moved to the Verizon Servers - which cause a bit more of lag/high ping.

I know when I'm playing on gravelpit, I get wierd lag. Sometimes I hear my rocket shoot but I don't see the rocket. Or I get killed and didn't see or hear anything when I die.
 
New job for me has made it impossible to play right now.. i will fo sure be back after all is settled
 
Really? I found college to be much, much more leisurely than high school. I found myself with craploads more free time and my classes were generally easier than high school.

But I did a lot of extracurriculars and most of classes in the second half of my high school career were AP classes, so that may be why.

I took 2 University courses during high school (Chemistry and Calculus) and 1 AP course (Psychology).

At first, I was thinking of taking 24 credit hours because I already have 18 from those 3 courses, but I figured to go for the full course-load of 30. (Full year courses are 6 credit hours and half year courses at 3 credit hours, in-case anyone is wondering)

High school was the easiest thing ever - I had not studied or reviewed for any tests and exams, but still got a 93% average. (I was 2% short of getting a $2000 scholarship, so I got a $1700 one instead - but a second scholarship was awarded in my name for $500, so it wasn't all too bad). The university courses I took in high school, I barely scraped an A+ for the second half of chemistry. Since the classes were in a high-school setting, I didn't find it to be that much more difficult - as it goes at a high school pace. (My GPA right now is at 4.33)

In university, the first week of school has already covered about a month's worth high school time. Say in physics, the first class consisted of reviewing 3 years of high school - all condensed into an hour. The second class starts the new material. Now being 2 weeks in, we've covered a full unit and moving onto chapter 2 of unit 2.

As for free-time, yes I do have much more free time than I did in highschool, but that free-time has to be used up by my studying and preparing for the next class. For every hour you're in-class, I have to spend 2-3 hours outside of class (reviewing material, doing sample questions and reading the next chapter). Let's do some math. :P

In a week, there's 168 hours.

I have a full course-load (5 Classes), 2 of which contain labs (3 hours each) so that is: (5x3)+(2x3) = 21 hours.

For every hour I'm in class, I study about 2 hours so 15x2 = 30 hours.

Average number of hours I sleep per week, probably 7 hours a day (I work weekends so no sleeping in for me): 7x7 = 49

Time needed to prepare meals and eat per week: ~8-9 hours

Time needed to travel to and from the university: 1.5hours (I live relatively close to the university)

Number of hours I work each week: 20 hours

So that's 168-21-30-49-9-1.5 = 52.5

That leaves me 52.5 hours for my other commitments. Very little of that is used for gaming. :P
 
Server IP changes have been a bummer. And I know a few people that have stopped playing on our servers because their favorite map has been moved to the Verizon Servers - which cause a bit more of lag/high ping.
roger that.. that is my big reason for going afk with ego. moving the server out west throws most of us east coasters into a big latency problem. if you look at the servers that are popped you see an avg amount of players running the same ping +or- 20.

it is just the standard issue here like having to go through 14 hops to 2 fort now vs 4 for blackmesa. that is just big and i can't believe too many of the uk guys would want to hop that far as well.
 
Last edited:
I took 2 University courses during high school (Chemistry and Calculus) and 1 AP course (Psychology).

At first, I was thinking of taking 24 credit hours because I already have 18 from those 3 courses, but I figured to go for the full course-load of 30. (Full year courses are 6 credit hours and half year courses at 3 credit hours, in-case anyone is wondering)

High school was the easiest thing ever - I had not studied or reviewed for any tests and exams, but still got a 93% average. (I was 2% short of getting a $2000 scholarship, so I got a $1700 one instead - but a second scholarship was awarded in my name for $500, so it wasn't all too bad). The university courses I took in high school, I barely scraped an A+ for the second half of chemistry. Since the classes were in a high-school setting, I didn't find it to be that much more difficult - as it goes at a high school pace. (My GPA right now is at 4.33)

In university, the first week of school has already covered about a month's worth high school time. Say in physics, the first class consisted of reviewing 3 years of high school - all condensed into an hour. The second class starts the new material. Now being 2 weeks in, we've covered a full unit and moving onto chapter 2 of unit 2.

As for free-time, yes I do have much more free time than I did in highschool, but that free-time has to be used up by my studying and preparing for the next class. For every hour you're in-class, I have to spend 2-3 hours outside of class (reviewing material, doing sample questions and reading the next chapter). Let's do some math. :P

In a week, there's 168 hours.

I have a full course-load (5 Classes), 2 of which contain labs (3 hours each) so that is: (5x3)+(2x3) = 21 hours.

For every hour I'm in class, I study about 2 hours so 15x2 = 30 hours.

Average number of hours I sleep per week, probably 7 hours a day (I work weekends so no sleeping in for me): 7x7 = 49

Time needed to prepare meals and eat per week: ~8-9 hours

Time needed to travel to and from the university: 1.5hours (I live relatively close to the university)

Number of hours I work each week: 20 hours

So that's 168-21-30-49-9-1.5 = 52.5

That leaves me 52.5 hours for my other commitments. Very little of that is used for gaming. :P

Huh, weird.

I worked my ass off in high school and got a 3.89 something.

I worked my way very leisurely through college and got a 3.57 something, mostly because I did poorly my freshman year because I was feeling depressed with my major.

What college are you going to? Is it a semester system or a quarter system, because I went to UCSD and all UCs use a quarter system, so I did 16 units a quarter (12 if I was lazy or felt like dropping a class) and I took classes over two summers as well which were the easiest classes I ever took in my life. I skipped a crapload of lectures, I pretty much only went to sections if I respected the TA, and lecture notes posted online tended to be a lot more useful than the lectures themselves. From what I've heard from my other friends, including those from colleges all over the country with a wide range of majors from econ to pre-med to law, they've had very similar experiences.

Of course, units vary from school to school, but they mostly translate evenly (otherwise transferring units when you transfer schools would be an absolute nightmare), so the amount of units you're taking are reasonable.

And I had a job too, I taught SAT prep classes for a few years and then took an unpaid internship as a lab monkey for another year.

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, especially since from the way you've outlined everything out you seem to have everything under control. But I'm just surprised that you're experiencing college this way. >_> Because when I graduated, the first thought in my mind was "ah crap, party's over".

From what I can tell, you're studying a lot, lol. Honestly, you don't need to retain every single thing as you move on from course to course each quarter/semester. Truth is, only about 20% of it carries over each time if it's part of a series, and if it's not part of a series then only the core elements are necessary.

Then again, I'm giving advice to a guy who obviously seems to know what he's doing, so forget I wrote anything, lol. Again, this is all a response of genuine surprise, not trying to say you're doing anything wrong.

EDIT: Also, my AP classes, aside from my AP Calc classes, were absurdly difficult, partly because our teachers, I think, overprepared us for the tests, because we absolutely destroyed those tests. That was a large part of my difficulty in high school curriculum: pop quizzes on obscure US historical facts, essay-writing drills, obscure literary references. *shudder* I think part of why college curriculum was a lot easier was because once you got past the Gen Ed stuff all of your curriculum tend to relate and fit with each other and support each other rather than being a hodge-podge of wildly different and difficult subjects you need to wrestle with. Six completely un-related classes a semester is a lot worse, to me, than 3-4 interconnecting classes a quarter.
 
Last edited:
i actually just joined TF2 division from CS:S and i play like a bergillion hours on the weekend but school sucks. :( i find this division to be more fun anyway so ill play for-evvvver.
 
i actually just joined TF2 division from CS:S and i play like a bergillion hours on the weekend but school sucks. :( i find this division to be more fun anyway so ill play for-evvvver.

Same here and I saw you on last night.

Anywho, classes have me pretty bogged down but whenever I have time (so far it's been averaging out to 7 hours a week) I always play on eGO servers.
 
I only play 2fort non-IR (old news) but since we moved it to the new server I get very high pings. So I'm a little unhappy about that.

I tried other maps, but it seems I'm a one map man. Go figure.

CD
 
I only play opn BlackMesa but i get at least 3 hours on it a day.

school or sick, rain or shine, nothing stops my gaming time!
 
Back
Top