12v12

Would you be interested in a 12v12 server?

  • No, I prefer 16v16 to 12v12

    Points: 17 23.9%
  • No, I prefer 16v16; however, I might visit a 12v12 sever every now and then

    Points: 16 22.5%
  • No (choose if I am too assumptive of reasoning / level of interest)

    Points: 1 1.4%
  • Yes (choose if I am too assumptive of reasoning / level of intereset )

    Points: 3 4.2%
  • Yes, I'd prefer 12v12, but I'd still play on 16v16 servers every now and then

    Points: 12 16.9%
  • Yes, I'd prefer 12v12 to 16v16

    Points: 13 18.3%
  • I am indifferent of player count

    Points: 9 12.7%
  • Other (please specify)

    Points: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    71

OSVG

EGO Zealot
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
1,527
------
Over the past month my interest in TF2 has been waning. I thought through the various reasons why. Some reasons I came up with was previous updates to TF2, school work, and some others ( http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101744&page=2 my post there if you really wish to know). I determined that none of those are the single biggest factor as to how I've been playing TF2.

I am not going so far as to say I want to play Vanilla TF2 (pre-medic update), but I've lost a lot of interest in 16v16 TF2. Most maps aren't built around 32 man server. A 32 man server becomes more of a death match and turtle , even for maps built on having larger numbers of people. Teamwork isn't as focused as 12v12 game-play, as each individual contributes less, and therefore gives more apathy to achieving goals as opposed to just killing. I know I certainly feel this way while playing when servers are at peak population.

Thus I have found myself spending more time in servers that range from 8v8 - 12v12 than eGO's. These types of servers promote cooperative play based on numbers. They are generally push pull maps (i.e. granary and badlands). They are also less cluttered and more enjoyable to me. I also feel more of a sense of comradeship between members of the team in such servers

By no means is there not teamwork in 16v16 servers; however, it isn't a focused as in 12v12

There are pros and cons to having a 12v12 server

Cons:
-Less number of maximum players, thus server rankings will be lower
-Each player means more. Goofing off will hurt your team
-Steamrolls can empty a server easier.

Pros:
-More Team work
-Less turtling and spam (by no means are they eliminated)
-Better rates (less people = less processing = better FPS)

At this point I wish to pose a question (via poll). Would you be interested in playing in a 12v12 server consisting of push pull maps generally used by competition (specifically ones we'll use for the eGO league)
CP_(well / badlands / granary / yukon / freight )

I also beg you to take your time and consider carefully the poll options. Think about the questions from the perspective of the server not being new / trying it out.

tl;dr ?
Then please read it & please don't give negative or positive comments. I would like you to take the time and truly decide whether not this appeals to you.

--Old School Video Games

EDIT: I tried to make the poll with as many options to fit everyone, but it also seems clustered sorry. Also if you vote the intermediate Yes and No please specify

EDIT: After reading over my post, I do not wish to disrespect leadership. Numbers are indeed important. Sponsorships help deal with the financial side of running the servers. I feel as if I am lashing out too hard, but my opinion remains.
 
Last edited:
12 vs 12 is pretty fun. I've played it outside of eGO, and I like it. 6 vs 6 is fun as well.

EDIT: Hope we at least get 1 server that's 24 slot.
 
The one thing I've noticed alot, (Taking egypt for example).

Early morning say 6v6's, theres ALOT of open spaces, easy for enemys to just come in and cap a point with minimal resistance, theres some maps that are just MADE to have alot of people on them.

So I think, if this were come to fruition, that the maps would need to be selected very carefully and meticulously.

I'm going to reserve my vote just yet until there is more feedback on what people think about it.
 
12v12 might seem like a fun idea but look at the facts. Why waste sponsor money on a 12v12 server when we can get a 16v16 server? During the holidays and most "normal days" it's hard to get a slot on a 16v16 server and imagine what would it be like on a 12v12 server. Personally, I prefer a 12v12 or 10v10 over 16v16 but once you look at it from a different angle you'll see that it might not be the best idea.
 
I think it really depends on the map, for example Gravelpit,and Badwater Basin work well with 32 players, but Dustbowl, and 2fort are horrible(in my opinion) with 32 players...unless you just want to kill people and don't care about the objective.
 
I think it really depends on the map, for example Gravelpit,and Badwater Basin work well with 32 players, but Dustbowl, and 2fort are horrible(in my opinion) with 32 players...unless you just want to kill people and don't care about the objective.
As for 2fort, I agree, but dustbowl is a prety fun 16v16 carnage :).
 
12v12 might seem like a fun idea but look at the facts. Why waste sponsor money on a 12v12 server when we can get a 16v16 server? During the holidays and most "normal days" it's hard to get a slot on a 16v16 server and imagine what would it be like on a 12v12 server. Personally, I prefer a 12v12 or 10v10 over 16v16 but once you look at it from a different angle you'll see that it might not be the best idea.

I respect your opinion, but I joined eGO for fun. Since then I've felt the gradual shift that numbers and rankings exceed the importance of having a good time. I feel as if the next sponsorship is more important than me, which is likely the case. I know it is selfish, but if I can have more fun elsewhere then that elsewhere is where I shall go. This is the reason I'm just pitching this idea out there. I want to help eGO grow, but not at the expense of not having fun. If I can maximize my utility from TF2 while playing on eGO servers then I'm all for it.

Granted I understand some maps are made for large amounts of players like Blackmesa and Egypt
 
Last edited:
12 vs. 12 is awesome. I especially like it because it make my role as a Scout more important and useful.

I mean, I still like Scout in 16 vs. 16, but it's far more challenging and it's harder to get things done. 16 vs. 16 is still good for practicing my awareness skills.
 
I think the costs outweigh the benefits.
I enjoy playing 12 v 12 or 6 v 6 but I don't think eGO will ever have a server that fits that. That's fine by me. Chaotic 32 player servers are fun also.
 
I actually enjoy playing in smaller matches, whether it be 6 vs. 6 (as in competitive play) or 12 vs. 12.

As you mentioned, when the server player limit is decreased, each player's skill is that much more important and essential to the team's success as a whole.

I think it would be worth-while for us to have a 24 player server.

Just my thoughts.

- MentalSoul
 
I think a 12v12 server would be lots of fun, like you said it requires a lot more teamwork, and overall better quality of play.

However, you will never see one in this clan because it is some obsessed with server ranking then anything that hurts that, even if it would mean having a more fun, enjoyable experience, (to some) will be quickly disregarded.

Now im sure by me simple posting that, it was cause much ranting and raging, since i apparently have that unique ability, i will leave it at that and keep the thread jacking to a minimum.
 
I respect your opinion, but I joined eGO for fun. Since then I've felt the gradual shift that numbers and rankings exceed the importance of having a good time. I feel as if the next sponsorship is more important than me, which is likely the case. I know it is selfish, but if I can have more fun elsewhere then that elsewhere is where I shall go. This is the reason I'm just pitching this idea out there. I want to help eGO grow, but not at the expense of not having fun. If I can maximize my utility from TF2 while playing on eGO servers then I'm all for it.

Granted I understand some maps are made for large amounts of players like Blackmesa and Egypt
Very good post OSVG. Like I said, I'd like to see this 12v12 server thing happen but I don't think it will anytime soon. This 12v12 server would make each players skill surface and IMO that's a good thing. But that's just my 2 cents.
 
Last edited:
12v12 would be good for maps like 2 fort 16v16 is a bit crammed especially inst respawn 2fort, however the cap maps the more the merrier.
 
I respect your opinion, but I joined eGO for fun. Since then I've felt the gradual shift that numbers and rankings exceed the importance of having a good time. I feel as if the next sponsorship is more important than me, which is likely the case. I know it is selfish, but if I can have more fun elsewhere then that elsewhere is where I shall go. This is the reason I'm just pitching this idea out there. I want to help eGO grow, but not at the expense of not having fun. If I can maximize my utility from TF2 while playing on eGO servers then I'm all for it.

Granted I understand some maps are made for large amounts of players like Blackmesa and Egypt

I agree with this because I joined to have fun and not join because I want the server ranks up. I would play more on a 12v12 but I have some fun playing on a 16v16 server.
 
Wow OSVG, I couldn't agree with your more. Everytime I've brought up the idea of a 24 player server it's usually shot down in a response similar to "No!1! rankings will go down!11!!"

It's why I hardly stray from Blackmesa...32 players fits that map perfectly and there's plenty of areas where each class can perform well on.

So yes, I would LOVE to see a 24 player server.
 
all of you probably have a better FPS and choke level than I do on Tf2 but.. 12v12 sounds just perfect for me since I kinda lag on 16v16 but I'll play it every now and then.
 
OSVG, I must say that I would prefer 12 vs 12 because like you said more teamwork = more fun.
 
I like 12v12 more than 16v16, less spammy

I love 5cp maps and balanced attack/defend (gravelpit)

Only thing that might be bad is that there may be too many people trying to get into a 24slot server
 

Latest posts

Back
Top