Seeding, should we stop?

Should we stop seeding?

  • Yes

    Points: 142 78.5%
  • No

    Points: 39 21.5%

  • Total voters
    181
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we stop seeding completely empty servers? Yes.

Should we stop seeding in any form? Maybe.
 
I'm afraid to ask this and look entirely noobish, but what is seeding exactly?
 
I'm afraid to ask this and look entirely noobish, but what is seeding exactly?

Sitting in spectator mode simply to bring up the number of people in-server to promote rank.

No worries, bro. Wouldn't know until someone told you after all, right?
 
Ahh I see. I heard a bud of mine talking about that in DOD, didn't know that was happening for TF2.
 
I say yes. It's not that hard to get a couple of friends and go play on an empty server.
 
MentalBuga, with the help of many other fantastic players, had a very successful session in which they helped start up the 2fort regular respawn server this afternoon (maybe they helped other servers before this too?).
 
yep yesterday we went to dustbowl and got 25 people in 20 mins, this evening we went to 2 forts and got 25 people in 18 mins.

It just shows you, it can be done !
 
We have a "No bots" policcy, but seeding is no different than joining a server that says they have 27 people playing when there is no one there vs one that says there are 27 playing with 12 in spec. It lowers us to the level of other places and eGO sshould be above this.

The idea of "Rangers" or a group of people that go to an empty server to PLAY sounds MUCH better than bots... errr.... specs sitting doing nothing.
 
I think that if we stop doing it, we should definitely notify our sponsors that we are no longer a seeding clan, and that our server rankings will drop accordingly. BUT, at the same time, let them know that we still have an impressive growth rate and that the drop in our rankings will not actually negatively affect the number of people who see their ads. It may actually increase, because there are more people coming to the server and seeing the ads instead of somebody leaving their computer on all night.

If those things are feasible, then yes, we should stop seeding.
 
We should stop, we claim to not use bots.. but the purpose of said bots is to fill the server, thats what seeders are doing. We may not use programs to achieve this but the end result is the same. You join a server, no one (or a limited few) are playing.
 
When a person joins a server expecting to be playing with three other people, they will quit immediately when they find that those are seeders. I personally am a fan of having four members going on an empty server and having fun as more people join.

Today, I was surprised to see how effective the announcement was. Good ol' cake requested an announcement for dustbowl and at the time there were about 4-5 people and within five minutes the server was up and running. Seeding does not help, active members do.

It's got a good theory behind it, but if people are going to leave their computer on while they're doing something else they should do folding or turn it off to save electricity.
 
Thank you for replying...

We value everyone's input...

TF2 leadership and I will talk about having this come to end or putting more control on it.

I personally hate seeders, I don't see them working at all, but that is just me. We'll talk it over and the DL's will put the final word in the division.

Thanks :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top