Seeding, should we stop?

Should we stop seeding?

  • Yes

    Points: 142 78.5%
  • No

    Points: 39 21.5%

  • Total voters
    181
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think people should stop seeding. It is really annoying to think that I can help to get a server going when there are about two to four people on it, only to find that they are all AFK, in which case, nobody stays. Also, once there are ten people on Blackmesa who are from our community, please go help another server. I hat having to join Blackmesa because it is the only server with people on it, not because I want to like a used to do. Granted, I might still go there anyway, but it is nice to have a choice of servers to pick from that are eGO.
 
I'm gonna agree with the two spectators maximum thing, but not when the servers are empty. When there's at least some players, to make it look slightly fuller. Then we can remove the seeders when the server becomes full, and everyone's happy.
 
I was always on the fence about this for the same reasons that Woodstock pointed out. Personally I voted yes, we should stop, having a full 32 slot server with 24 active players sems harmful to me.
 
I'm a bit on the fence with this, but I think I'm leaning more towards stop seeding, rather than continue at its current state.

While our purpose in seeding the servers is important (to fill them and increase rank/popularity), I think we may actually be hurting our ranks rather than helping them.

If a player is a regular and sees our Egypt server (for example) @ 6/32 players, he may think, "Cool. I enjoy playing smaller matches at times." So he then connects to the server, expecting to play a good 3 vs 3 match, but realizes that 4 of the 6 on are just seeding in spectator. "Ah, no big deal. This could just be a one-time occurrence," he may think, and decides to find another server and return to (our) Egypt another time. But to his dismay, when he returns later that day, our server is in much the same situation it was when he had previously connected.

So the question is: How does this affect that player?

Well, more often than not, players that experience what he did will most likely stop going to that particular server all together, and opt for servers that are consistently populated (i.e. at near full capacity).

If we are to keep Seeding as we have done in the past, I think we need to limit it to possibly 2-3 seeders per server. This will drastically reduce the outcome of the above example.

Just my thoughts.

- MentalSoul
 
Last edited:
Seeding is pretty much the same as having bots. Except bots don't take up server slots.
 
There just needs to be a set limit for everyone. If I was a normal player, I wouldnt want to come into a server, and find out that everyone was afk.

Im going to vote no, But we need to do it differently at least. Not completely stop all together. Just rethink how we are doing it.

I agree with this because seeding can still help in some way.
 
My thoughts:

Seeding helps, no one can deny that having players in a server raises the rank. However, having more than 2 people there is just silly - I'm actually fairly certain that somewhere in a post a member of leadership has specified to not have more than 3 seeders per server.

Rangers (server teams) are also highly beneficial, as having 6-12 people in a server duking it out can very rapidly lead to a full or nearly full server. The downside to this aspect is that it takes real people actually getting in and playing those servers they may not enjoy so much, or that are barren. Also, during low-traffic hours for our servers, it's likely there won't be too many people available anyway.


My proposition: keep them both. Have seeders sit on low traffic hours, and rangers fill during medium to high.
 
I think a limit to a small number of seeders could help, but the issue with that is this. If there are too few to the limit, it won't help us in the end, if there are too many we have the issue of people joining to see an army of admins just speccing a game. Either way we should bring back the rangers and rangers reserve. I was fortunate enough to be apart of this group back in the day, it was highly effective and everyone who was in the group loved it.

Short version: Seeders: Stop/Limit Rangers: Yes.

~Sandman~
 
I have always felt seeding is ALMOST as lame as fake bot client stuffs. If i join a server with 10 players showing, whether bots or seeders, I'm /sadface either way.

I would like to be a part of the SRT (Server Reviver Team) if/when it gets put together.
 
I'm all for stopping seeding if we find an alternative way of getting and keeping people in them. I seed simply because I've been told to. In the past 2 weeks I've put in 125+ hours worth of seeding. For now, I will continue to seed. Nobody is ever on during the day time, so I at least help out on one server.
 
I think we should stop. Joining a 6/32 server to find nobody playing annoys me a little bit less than servers that fake their numbers. I would prefer if we could find some people that would be willing to jump start servers by actually playing.
 
I could have sworn that one of the original seeding post said if their was more than two seeders in the server already to pick a different server to seed.

I voted no, although it appears some people dont listen to the seeding guidelines and they may need to be adjusted (the guidlelines:biggrin:).
 
Yes we should stop.

Or at least limit it to two seeders per server.

Joining a server with 6 players, then finding out that they are all AFK, will highly discourage me from ever coming back.

For example, there was a WaW server that I loved to play on, but they started using fake clients. The server list would say 36(45) and I would join only to find maybe a 4v4 game. I would then leave. Now I don't even go back to that WaW server.

This exactly.
 
I believe there are better alternatives. I think seeding in its current state is not helping. I very much prefer active seeding and server starting, but times are also tough with many of our members busy with school, so this decision could be detrimental to the TF2 division as a whole. The decision should not be made with haste.

I also see the other perspective that seeding means better numbers, which in turn means better donations and sponsors. As much as I do not like joining a server with a bunch of seeders, if it helps keep the community as a whole alive, then it must stay. Do we have any numbers to support either way? Is there any trend data that can support a time if/when we did not seed the servers?

Just a thought: how about we stop seeding during the day and use server starters instead? That will help determine if the servers can stand on their own without seeding, and if they can't, we only lost 50% of our potential in server rankings.
 
While I don't see a direct link between seeders and bots as a lot of people do- for all the reasons we've always said, that they're real people, 0 score with 12h42m connect time is obvious, etc- I think that as an organization of our size it won't really work.

If we had one person seeding to a server I don't think anyone would really mind. You come into a 4/32 match, and find out it's 2v1 with 1 spec, it doesn't really bother you. However we have a lot of people and when they wind up seeding, that quickly turns to joining with 4 specs and no players which is disappointing and makes people leave.

If we had a ranger squad filling up the servers, that'd be amazing. But for those servers they aren't working on, yes, seeding might be a neccessary evil and might still be beneficial. You just can't go overboard with it.
 
Ummm... I think it should stay. It helps a little but we should limit the time a little (about 5 hours less.) I would suggest people seed when they are doing homework, work, eating, talking in vent, and etc. But overall it should stay since it's building eGO's servers and therefore we could get a much higher rank on the server. I have no problem seeding and with anyone seeding. At the contrary, I feel it is a well made idea.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top