About hats

Fearless888

Active Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
408
Is there some type of logic to the dispersal of hats in tf2 (e.g. #of hours played produces a certain % of likelihood of getting a hat), or is it completely random. I see more and more new hats coming out, yet I am playing hundreds of hours without even getting an old one. Not that I care that much about the hats, it's just that I think I should have gotten one by now (having played hundreds of hours since they originally came out).
 
Is there some type of logic to the dispersal of hats in tf2 (e.g. #of hours played produces a certain % of likelihood of getting a hat), or is it completely random. I see more and more new hats coming out, yet I am playing hundreds of hours without even getting an old one. Not that I care that much about the hats, it's just that I think I should have gotten one by now (having played hundreds of hours since they originally came out).

same here. :(
 
As "random" as a computer can be.

It is not based upon anything other than some strange algorithm the Valve invented after having a few too many late at night.

Seems to me that this algorithm is flawed in the sense that some people get lots of hats and some people get no hats. The flip-side is just as bad in that giving everyone equal amounts of hats would diminish the zeal and luster of getting a hat. My sentiments: Make people earn the hats. Or at least add a line to the algorithm that diminishes a person's likelihood of getting another hat based on the length of time that has elapsed since they got their last hat. (e.g. the % likelihood of getting a hat is 0 for the first day after getting a hat, and so on). Of course this poses the problem of people just idling to get their hats. What a vicious cycle. Even so, once an idler got a hat their chances of getting a hat would diminish to 0 immediately following that, thus partially eliminating the idling problem. Maybe I am putting too much thought into this though. Time to take off my thinking hat
 
Last edited:
Yeah i've been having trouble getting a single hat. And honestly, lately I haven't gotten any items either. I went about 2 weeks at least of playing 30+ hours per week without a single item ever being given to me, finally I got about 6 items all at once last night and then 2 items a few hours later. And i've yet to see any hats of any kind. On top of that, my Halo doesn't even show up any more. Lame.

I agree there should be a stronger chance to receive a hat after so many hours played, even if it was a really high number of hours as i've put hundreds in since the update, with no hats.
 
Someone was saying that you get a 3% chance every 3 and a half hours of play (non-culmulative) but I have no idea if its true or not.
 
"Every 15,430 seconds (4 hours, 17 minutes, and 10 seconds) you have a 1.1905% chance to receive a hat. These are the exact values used and is not something that was determined by using data collected from idlers.

I verified this by checking against people who received two hats real close together and the difference in time was divisible by 15,430."

-Drunken F00l

There you go. Might be more to it but that'll get you started.
Going with that, you will have theoretically received hat after 360 hours played (15 days of straight idling). Some people will have gotten 2, and some will have none after that. You will continue the diceroll for all eternity but on average after 360 hours you should get one hat.
 
"Every 15,430 seconds (4 hours, 17 minutes, and 10 seconds) you have a 1.1905% chance to receive a hat. These are the exact values used and is not something that was determined by using data collected from idlers.

I verified this by checking against people who received two hats real close together and the difference in time was divisible by 15,430.

I also discovered a separate algorithm that apparently checks to see if you are Carmine. It makes this check every 1.5 seconds and if true, multiplies your current number of hats by 1.73 every 2 days."

You left some parts out ;)
 
Well I have 7 hats (Stove Pipe, Conductor's Hat, Billcock, 3x Jarate Headband, 1 Trophy Belt)
Trends that I have seen from idling
--The more dieing you do you get more items you seem to get
--Idling & playing 24/7 are really helpful
--478 Tree have died due to my power expenditure
 

Latest posts

Back
Top