Nvidia 8800 GT problems.

sucks you don't have another box to try the gpu on, or a friends box, or even a diff card to put in to see if you experience similar behavioure.
 
Crashing from startup? Are you sure its not the CPU overheating due to dust built up in the heat sync? I had this EXACT problem not too long ago. I run two 8800GTX cards (have had them for about 4 years now) and I was having the same problem you are having, crashes after 5 minutes of gameplay or so.

I pulled both cards out and cleaned them, but the problem persisted and actually got worse. I then pulled my CPU heat sync and fan off and discovered it was FILLED with dust. After cleaning it all out (and gaining a marble-sized ball of dust) my problems went away and my games ran at faster rates than ever.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the video card for crashes. Even though blue screens are quick to point out nVidia programs, that's mearly the program that crashed when the system locked up. Before buying a new GPU check out the rest of your system and get back to us.
 
Bwoods,

I don't really have another way to test everything. We've already been over the dust thing. I cleaned everything out thoroughly and checked all of my components. The problem has actually gotten worse since. The entire system freezes up while loading up the startup programs. Nothing responds, can't turn on caps lock or anything, complete graphical freeze, and only able to restart by hard restarting.

I am starting to wonder if this is a bigger problem than the GPU. Why else would everything else stop working when the card froze up?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top