Advantages and Disadvantages of Weapons - TF2

SoNotIsaac

EGO Zealot
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,937
Hey there TF2 :biggrin:
I did this in the DODS Division when I joined :D
the 'Advantages and Disadvantages of Weapons'
In the post I would tell the A&D (Advantage & Disadvantage) about the weapons,so I figure to post it here so that new people playing TF2 could refer here :)
Ok ppl,I'm doing the simple stuff,not to complicated lol only general stuff

Soooo,here they are.
I'll go by Classes
Scout
-Lv. 1 Scatter Gun
It has a high damage ratio if shot from a near distance,it has a medium range,great use if your stealing enemy intel.

FORCE-A-NATURE
Great Damage if shot from behind,it has a low damage ratio if shot from afar,less damage if shot from the front,good use if your sneaking up to your enemy.

-Lv. 1 Pistol

Great use in close combat,normally used if your gun has runned out of ammo/reloading,it has a great damage ratio,good range.

- Bonk! Atomic Punch
Nothing Good about it,just that it makes you kinda invaunarable for a few secs.

Lv 1 Bat
No range lol,good damage if sneaking up.

Sandbat (or something like that...)

You have a disadvantage which is a lower health,but you can shoot a ball to stun your enemy

Soldier

Rocket
You have an ultimate range,great accuracy,Good damage;but with crits epic damage :D,but you'll lose health if you rocket jump,another Disadvantage is that you move slowly.

Shotgun
Good Damage,Medium Range,Good if you have no ammo left.

Shovel
Great Damage if you run out of ammo/you're sneaking up to someone.

Pyro

Flamethrower
Close range,good damage ratio,great for ambushing,imune to fire (class advantage),able to put out fires

Backburner
Short range,great damage if attacked from behind,great for ambushing,bad at attacking other pyros

Shotgun

Medium range,Great Damage

Flare Gun
Great for flaming enemies from a distance

Lv.1 Axe
Good for melee good damage

Axtinguisher
Great if your target if on fire,50% damage done if not on fire

Demoman

Grenade Launcher
It as a great deal of damage if it hits your target,great if enemies are rushing,but bad if it bounces of of soemthing (from TF2 Wiki)

Sticky Bomb Launcher
Great damage if crits,great for suprising enemies,medium range,if you die,your stickies die too lol.

Bottle
Melee only,great damage,great for disengaging a bomb

Heavy (ahh,my favourite class :P)
Minigun (Sasha)
Great for killing enemies in a medium range,tough it isn't that good if you shoot it from afar,it tends to miss the target

Minigun (Natasha)
Great for killing slow targets,but it does less damage,it is good for high range,but beware of spies and snipers ;)

Shotgun
Good if you run out of ammo

Sandvich
Great to restore ammo,does nothing to hurt enemy,your vaunarable to crits,spies,and others

Fist
Great damage for melee,you can do a killing taunt with it.

K.G.B
Great ammount of damage,Crits after you kill someone with it,slow firing speed

Engineer

Shotgun
Medium ammount of damage,medium range

Pistol
Almost same as the Scout's pistol but less damage done

Wrench
Melee weapon,medium damage

Medic

Syringe Gun
Good damage,bad accuracy,the needles will go of course

Blutsauger
Good damage done,bad accuracy,restores 3hp if hit

Bonesaw
Great melee weapon if your a combat medic

Ubersaw
Gains 25 UberCharge points when hit

Sniper

Sniper Rifle
Great range,accuracy great,power increases if scoped longer

Huntsman
Good range (Cause arrow will go of course,great for headshots)

SMG
Good range,medium damage,great for close combat.

Razorback
Great to prevent spies from backstabbing you

Jarate
Puts out fires on teammates,great to reveal a spy

Kurki
Melee weapon,great for killing spies in the area if crits.

Spy

Revolver
You'd get good aiming,good damage,good for long distance

Ambassador
Bad accuracy after 1 shot you'd have to wait,crits if headshot

Knife...you'd understand it...just backstab :P

Ok guys,I have done all weapons,anything I miss or I got some things wrong PM me ;)

PS : Admins are welcomed to lock thread if I have placed it in a wrong section/someone else has done it. Thanks


Peace,
Diamond
 
Last edited:
A-FORCE-A-NATURE
Great Damage if shot from behind,it has a low damage ratio if shot from afar,less damage if shot from the front,good use if your sneaking up to your enemy.
False. The FaN doesn't do more damage from behind or less damage from the front. It's all about the range.

Oh also, this might come in handy. ;)


-Calle
 
Yeah, the only weapons that what direction you are attacking from matters are the Butterfly Knife, and the Backburner. Also, its the Sandman ;)

I do recommend doing things like this for beginners though, it can be very helpful. And it is always annoying to hear people ask 'which one is better' when there is no set 'better' weapon (exceptions being that the Razorback is useless and Bonk Atomic Punch is nearly useless)

EDIT: I take that back, BAP is useful, its just something that you'd want to run back to spawn, equip it, then use it and change back to pistol after you've used it to help kill a sentry/get onto the enemy point or whatever. It is a very situational thing that isn't very useful most of the time but can be pretty useful.
 
I would have added that the rocket launcher can be used to remove players from point as can the regular flamethrower. And in addition the scatterguns clip size and massive damage spread at close range makes it great for getting the face of your opponent to where they cant attack you and not damage themselves.

And the Bonk is pretty useless in my opinion. You opting out of a weapon that can pick off stragglers for a energy drink that give invulnerability for not too long.

Its a good start in my opinion there's a lot more that could be said about them regarding tactics and uses, but that's taking my time.
 
Y(exceptions being that the Razorback is useless and Bonk Atomic Punch is nearly useless)

Hey now, the razorback is totally useful. How else can I pretend to be Link without a shield to go with my bow, arrows, and sword?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOa4tXG4EQo[/ame]
 
Regarding the FaN, it also gives you the ability to do some pretty sweet jumps that get you into unexpected places. For example, on 2fort you can jump out of the water up to the main level, from main level up to the battlements, and you can get jump up through the grate. I was really having a hard time figuring out how scouts were getting up onto the grate so easily when I'm playing engy and hanging out in the hay room, but now I know they're using the blowback from the FaN to give them a little extra height on their jumps.
 
Advantages: You can kill people with them and feel good about yourself.

Dis-advantages: When you peel off the outer shell, they do not have a sweet, creamy center.
 
Soldier

Rocket
You have an ultimate range,great accuracy,Good damage;but with crits epic damage :D,but you'll lose health if you rocket jump,another Disadvantage is that you move slowly.

Shotgun
Good Damage,Medium Range,Good if you have no ammo left.

Shovel
Great Damage if you run out of ammo/you're sneaking up to someone.

-The rocket launcher is a pretty versatile weapon. Sure you have great range, but it doesn't have a high effective range [damage decreases over distance].

-The damage is good, but nowhere near compared to any of the demoman's weapons. Accuracy is perfect, it all relies on prediction.

-Never depend on crits. I'm not going to express my hatred of crits here (even if I get them).

-Sure, the Soldier may be slow at moving. That's why you have to utilize rocket jumping to its fullest potential - and if you do it right, you will lose little health and you can get buffs from medics and heal from med packs prior and after rocket jumping. (I use rocket jumping to get to areas faster, catch up to enemies, escape, etc).

As for the shotgun;

Great backup weapon. Couldn't ask for anything better. You usually will not have to switch to this because most of the time, your enemies are already dead by your rocket launcher. You can also preserve ammo from your primary by rocketing a 125 - 150 HP class, then finishing them off with a well placed shotgun shell. You can also use the shotgun to finish someone off in mid-air if you actually need to reload your rocket, as well as weapon heckling against compression blasting pyros.

Shovel:

You're better off using the Rocket launcher and shotgun. This is extremely useless for the Soldier, because he's so slow when you switch to it. There's no point of sneaking up to them with the shovel, you might as well shotgun them, or just rocket them.

P.S. to Soldiers who are bunnyhopping addicts with their rocket launcher: Do that to a competent Soldier, you will find yourself juggled, and eventually gibbed in mid-air. (I love when Soldiers do this to me, it makes it so much easier to kill them).

P.P.S. The most useful console command for Soldiers that will affect your gameplay is: cl_interp 0
 
Last edited:
Kunai, by bunnyhopping, do you just mean jumping around or are you meaning something more specific?

I tend to jump around a lot as soldier. Not sure why I do that, except perhaps to avoid splash damage from soldiers shooting at my feet. It's kind of obvious in hindsight, but it never really occurred to me that I was making it easier for them to juggle me.
 
Kunai, by bunnyhopping, do you just mean jumping around or are you meaning something more specific?

I tend to jump around a lot as soldier. Not sure why I do that, except perhaps to avoid splash damage from soldiers shooting at my feet. It's kind of obvious in hindsight, but it never really occurred to me that I was making it easier for them to juggle me.

Yes, jumping around and shooting at the same time. For some reason, you will get juggled easier by another Soldier if he knows what's he's doing - I avoid jumping at all against any Soldier or Demoman, and I come out as the victor.
 
Yes, jumping around and shooting at the same time. For some reason, you will get juggled easier by another Soldier if he knows what's he's doing - I avoid jumping at all against any Soldier or Demoman, and I come out as the victor.

Thanks for the tip! I used to play soldier a lot and was better than average at one point, but that was a long time ago. Now my soldier skills are mediocre at best. It's that sort of tip that will help me get back in the groove. I need to work on my rocket jumping, too. I used to be fairly good at it but after being away from it for so long, I've completely lost the timing.
 
Thanks for the tip! I used to play soldier a lot and was better than average at one point, but that was a long time ago. Now my soldier skills are mediocre at best. It's that sort of tip that will help me get back in the groove. I need to work on my rocket jumping, too. I used to be fairly good at it but after being away from it for so long, I've completely lost the timing.

Np. You will be able to dodge rockets better without jumping. If they land a splash underneath you while jumping, you will be "stunned" in movement in mid air, allowing the enemy to send a rocket going to your face.

And if you get juggled without jumping, you can defend yourself easier from getting airshotted by attempting to airstrafe (it helps a little, and you can try to airstrafe and rocket down below your enemies at the same time).
 
Doesn't bunny hopping mean the old glitch that by crouching and then immediately after that jump, getting out of the map?

Its fixed for pc though. Not for Console. :|
 
Yes, jumping around and shooting at the same time. For some reason, you will get juggled easier by another Soldier if he knows what's he's doing - I avoid jumping at all against any Soldier or Demoman, and I come out as the victor.

Yeah, I love the bunny hopping soldiers too. The only thing more they could do to help pyros with rocket deflections would be to light up a big neon sign that says "I'm about to shoot at you, hit mouse 2 now!".
 
All this talk about soldiers and tactics, and none are about avoiding spies. Is this why they always get backstabbed?
 
A good Scatter scout will own a good soldier without a problem :D and even use their rockets to get to the soldier that much faster :D
 
All this talk about soldiers and tactics, and none are about avoiding spies. Is this why they always get backstabbed?

Anyone who gets backstabbed regularly, no matter what class they play, simply needs to learn how to spy check better.
 
Back
Top